scott58

What strings do you guys use on your electrics?

scott58    0

Time for restringing (again). I've used D'addarios exclusively so far. Just wore out some 11's and was thinking maybe a set of Dave Mustaine GHS's or some elixir nanoweb 10's. Any experience with these? On my acoustics I'll stay with Martin 11's (love the feel), but with electric have yet to find a string that really grabs me. Any others you guys (and gals) swear by? thanks

Stratrat    0

My electrics are a conglomeration of different brands right now:

D'Addario

Ernie Ball

GHS Boomers

Fender Bullets

I've never noticed any difference in sound or feel, except when I've gone to heavier gauge strings (.010-.046 and .010-.052 on my Telecasters)

Time for restringing (again). I've used D'addarios exclusively so far. Just wore out some 11's and was thinking maybe a set of Dave Mustaine GHS's or some elixir nanoweb 10's. Any experience with these? On my acoustics I'll stay with Martin 11's (love the feel), but with electric have yet to find a string that really grabs me. Any others you guys (and gals) swear by? thanks

I always use ernie ball strings, and I dearly recommend them.

Elixirs are in my experience only good if you don't play very much. I usually play at least 3-4 hours/day, so elixirs wear out as quick as any other string brand for me.

solidwalnut    5
I always use ernie ball strings, and I dearly recommend them.

Elixirs are in my experience only good if you don't play very much. I usually play at least 3-4 hours/day, so elixirs wear out as quick as any other string brand for me.

I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (.009's) for years. I like the touch and of light strings. But I wasn't getting enough low end.

So I discovered Dean Markley's Blue Steel Custom Lights. The high e, b and g strings are lights and the d, a and e strings are mediums. This is what I had been missing.

Steve

scott58    0

I also practice about 3 hours a day (not all on one guitar) so maybe i'll skip the elixirs this time around. I've also heard good things about the Boomers. My Dean also suffers from low end so it sounds like I want to stay away from .009's. Think I'll pickup several different packs and give them a go. Start with GHS's, then blue steel customs, and some type of ernie ball. Thanks.

fly135    5

I'm clueless about the difference in strings other than I like 9's on my G&L strat and Std tele as I'm working on bends a lot. I use D'Addario and buy them in the 3 pack. I have 10's on the Schecter and Epi Dot.

I'm thinking of a SRV inspired thing, and putting a set of 12's on my Fullerton strat plus lowering the tuning down a full tone.

Live Stone    0

My 2 cents. I use musicians friend brand on my electric expensive fender for everyday use and change them when they start sounding a little dead. I can afford to change as often as I like as they are generally a $1.99 a set when bought in a 10 pack for $20.00. I like the Martin 20/80 lights (12-54) on my Ibanez accoustic. A nice warm sound. I am thinking of trying the Musician Friend brand accoustic strings for the price break and changing regularly.

I tend to believe like Kirk that many of the strings come from the same roll of wire. Everyone has their preference. Psychologically on my electric Amer. deluxe B-bender tele. I put OE Fender strings if playing at church etc. Just my ego at work me thinks. I love everything Fender but the ol wallet doesn't always agree. I really want to buy an old Fender twin amp. when the time is right. Just like the way it sounds. For now I have a Beringer V-ampire 60 watt and a Beringer 120 watt V-Tone. I record with the V-ampire mostly as it has a noise gate which keeps it fairly quiet. Nothing anyone would want to hear for sure. The V-tone is louder for gigs but depending on settings can be quite the noise machine. I have found that using my Beringer pre-amp before going into the amp helps as I can keep the gain and volume on the amp at a lower level. Cuts some noise. These amps are reletive inexpensive compared to better class amps but will do the job.

Best wishes to everyone

Danny

Europa    0

I'm certainly no expert.

I've got D'Addario on both of mine, the local luthier recommended them, and so far they've taken ages to wear out. :)

fly135    5

I just put a set of 12's on my Fulerton strat and tuned it down a full tone to DGCFAD. Wow, sure has a richer tone than the 9's. Now I just need to learn some SRV songs.

scott58    0

They didn't have the Dave Mustaine i was gonna get, so I ended up with some boomer 10's (that i'll try first) and some blue steel customs 10's. I'll put them on in the next couple of days.

CirrusPilot    0

I recently tried a set of Elixir .010s and I might be sold on them. I play electric a lot, but not a long at one sitting. I really like the feel of these and the sounds are good too.

Someone earlier mentioned they like the .009 Ernie Balls but they didn't get much low end. Ernie Ball make a hybrid .009 set with the E, A strings thicker than on a normal set of 9s.

rnr    0

I play Gibson's Brite Wire 10's on my strats. A little more expensive than some. However for me they are worth it. Just an excellent string.

Darkhorizon    0
I usually use the D'Addario Extra Heavy (13-56) because I'm really heavy handed and when I bend the lighter gauge strings I tend to snap them, that and it give me a meatier sound IMHO.

You must be a very powerful player :)

For my electrics I use 9's and for the acoustics I use the gauge they came with originally but do try out various brands.

bugly    0

honestly D'addarios are great value good sounding strings, had Nanowebs on a couple of guitars an I found that

1) they were expensive

2) they didnt last any longer then the d'addarios.

Have three guitar players and 12 guitars to keep strung so I buy in bulk and try to find a better value string.

I have used GFS rails on a tele, and their ups in a strat, and I have a XAVIER LP style guitar with P90's (below), As these PUPs and guitar all represented good value, I decided to try a box of their stings (12 sets for $25) , we will see how they last and sound.

yhst-50206111187217_2085_16679619