__tsidewinder__

Ok, this is a weird poll...Do you see words/music in colours?

Do certain numbers have certain colours in your mind?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do certain numbers have certain colours in your mind?

• 1 is white
    • 2 is blue
    • 3 is green
    • 4 is purple
    • 5 is red
    • 6 is orange
    • 7 is yellow
    • 8 is navy blue
    • 9 is darker red
    • 10 is white
    • numbers don't have colours
    • they all match
    • none of them match

Does anyone else here find that certain numbers are also certain colours? I know other people have found this to be true, that certain numbers have certain colours attached.

I want to know if anyone else has the same colours attached to the same numbers.

I also find letters have certain colours to them, and musical styles do as well.

This is an odd poll, so if something doesn't make sense, or if you don't entirely understand what I mean or how to vote, let me know.

mattz196    15

Fairly strange poll indeed but interesting , I work on a daily basis with a ton of different colour names and as much as I wish I could attribute a number to them, there are so many slight variations they get names often quite cyptic ones given to them, rather than blue,dark blue,very dark blue, they all have Pantone numbers but they tend not to be human friendly to use .

Here's a few eg's of this seasons names we are using Sahara,Anchor ,Lichen,Platinum, Chilli,Sky, Oyster, Riveria.

Matt

SprayTech    0

I work with color all day in my job to ( Automotive Painter ) and the numbers are called color codes for all cars , but I know GM colors so well after 30 years I just look at a car and know the Paint Manufacturers # but I dont see colors in numbers though .

Just 3800 is PPG's GM truck White , 4154 is PPG's Victory Red , ect...... thats how I see colors and numbers :)

"I've never thought of numbers as colors"

I don't think I explained this very well. Ok, I explained it fairly poorly.

so, you have the number two. Imagine it in block letter form in your head. Big number two. What colour is it? In your head? For me, its always blue.

Now, think of the number three. What colour is it? Green for me. Everytime.

6string    81
Does anyone else here find that certain numbers are also certain colours? I know other people have found this to be true, that certain numbers have certain colours attached.

I want to know if anyone else has the same colours attached to the same numbers.

I also find letters have certain colours to them, and musical styles do as well.

This is an odd poll, so if something doesn't make sense, or if you don't entirely understand what I mean or how to vote, let me know.

So are you saying a rainbow is God's phone number?

Hilch    0

I may be waaaay off here but I come from a sporting back ground

1-Gold

2-Silver

3-Bronze

4-Yellow

5-RED - Peter Brock {05} red and white car

6-Maroon Coz I am a Queenslander-Wally Lewis wore 6

7-Blue -N S W and Peter Sterling wore 7 and blue

1 million - black { staying in black old saying }

Or do I just have way too much time on my hands

Trev

Tekker    1

The only colors I can connect to numbers follows the color code for resistors. ;)

Black = 0

Brown = 1

Red = 2

Orange = 3

Yellow = 4

Green = 5

Blue = 6

Purple = 7

Grey = 8

White = 9

Other than that, all my numbers are black.... Or blue, depending on what color pen I'm writing with. :D

-tkr

si16    10

I believe this is called synaesthesia and takes on many different forms. Perhaps you could give us a few more details tsidewinder (I assume you experience this). Do you see colours when you hear certain notes? Does harmony affect which colours you see? Is it annoying?

I guess for most of us it is difficult to understand but it would be interesting to hear a bit more about it.

You can read a bit more about it here - Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pamelody    0

I think the g string should be pink...just kidding! This is an interesting poll but I have often thought of numbers in relation to colors also. Funny thing is, not real swift with numbers when it comes to remembering phone # etc. White is all the colors, no? Three always green! My husband is a color freak, (professional artist) and is forever correcting me - "that is not red, it's Quinacridone Magenta" !:dunno:

Tekker    1
I'm with Tekker.

Now what colors are a 470 ohm resister. LOL

Yellow, purple, brown... What tolerance? :D

-tkr

Well, it doesn't annoy me at all. Its just a quirk I suppose, it doesn't have any real value that I can see.

No notes have colours for me (too bad!). Chords... Not really.

Great link s16, where'd you first hear about this Synaethesia?

I found this little paragraph particularly interesting:

"Very little is known about the overall cognitive traits associated with synesthesia (or, indeed if there are any cognitive traits that are consistently associated with synesthesia). Some studies have suggested that synesthetes are unusually sensitive to external stimuli (see, e.g., Cytowic 2002). Other possible associated cognitive traits include left-right confusion, difficulties with math, and difficulties with writing (Cytowic 2002).

However, synesthetes may be more likely to participate in creative activities (Rich, Bradshaw & Mattingley 2005), and some studies have suggested a correlation between synesthesia and creativity (Domino 1989; Dailey, Martindale & Borkum 1997). Other research has suggested that synesthesia may contribute to superior memory abilities (Luria 1968; Smilek et al. 2002a). However, it is unclear whether this is a general feature of synesthesia or whether it is true of only a small minority. This is a major topic of current and future research."

I don't have any troubles with math, reading, or anything like that. My memory is decent, but not crazily exceptional. I'd love to think I'm creative. Still, I really doubt seeing certain numbers as certain colours does anything for me.

And also, when I look at say the number "2", right now, that number doesn't register as blue. But when I think of the number 2, its blue. I can, if I really want to, imagine the number 2 as red, but it most naturally comes out blue.

Something I noticed is I particularly like the numbers 86 and 68. Well, it sort of makes sense, since 8 is blue, and 6 is orange. Since these are contrast colours, (which are said be pleasing to the eye when next to each other) it could be why I like them.

In any case, I think if I am a Synesthestic, I'm a very mild one. Thankfully I don't get a bad taste in my mouth when I see certain numbers. And unfortunately I don't see music in full colour.

si16    10

Thanks for the extra detail, very interesting.

I first heard about this not too long ago when it was a question on a quiz show I was watching. I remembered the name of the condition but they also discussed a famous composer who had it but I can't remember who.