SRChrono

Need Help Finding a Strat!

I've been playing my little Fender Duo Sonic for awhile now and it's showing its limits. The type of music im looking to play are things like Modest Mouse, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, ect... and I know SP and Maiden use custom strats and DT's guitar lives are owned by ibanez but I mostly play Modest Mouse because I know their songs so well. But Isaac Brock has a custom Wicks guitar that my skill level doesnt warrant me buying. So Im wondering if anyone has some advice on buying a nice strat and maybe even an amp suggestion. Im looking to spend 1000$ on a new guitar and amp, maybe more if it's worth it.

There are a ton of strats on Ebay. Take your pick. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps have a pretty nice bite. A great classic amp. I am not familiar with the bands you named so can't get too specific.

Ok, I listened to a few vids on you tube. Forget the Hot Rod. You want and amp with a good clean channel like a fender twin.

A Fender standard, highway1 or classic strat would work well.

I would add, having owned a Mustang (which is, in most respects, virtually identical to a DuoSonic), that you shouldn't expect a Strat to sound terribly different. The pickups are quite similar, all you really gain is the 2nd and 4th switch settings (the 3rd, too, but I've never known anyone who was madly in love with the 100% middle pickup sound), and you lose the ability to use the bridge and neck pickups at once.

If you're itching for a Strat, don't let me stand in the way of your GAS! But don't expect a tremendous sonic difference. The amp (or any pedals you might get) will probably do a lot more in terms of changing your sound.

what im really looking for is a whammy bar. my friend said if i was really serious about playing guitar i should shoot for a good one in the 500-750$ range. now im aware that could be a load of ****, that's why im asking around. i think the best thing i could do is go to different shops and try out some of their guitars and equipment. but im fairly new and i don't want to waste peoples time =/

Don't worry about wasting the time of guitar store employees, they are getting paid by the hour most likely. People take a long time to pick out a guitar. it is the nature of the beast. Having a whammy bar only makes sense if you intend to use it. There is not a lot of tunes outside of shed and wheedlie that use a lot of whammy. Some Hendrix stuff, some SRV stuff and other occasional blues stuff. The whammy bar on a strat bends down while the floyd trem bends both ways. Both can adversely effect tuning. It is not uncommon for players to block a trem on a strat to make it play like a hard tail. I can't remember when I last used the trem on my strat.

BTW a 500 to700 buck guitar is considered a medium quality guitar. Guitars for people who are really serious about their instruments pay from 1200 and up. The quality of the neck and pups get very important when you play for a living or want exceptional tone.

yeah, i dont think im ready for a custom luth or anything, but a decent guitar and amp to really get started on prep for playing in a band would be nice. something that can be handled fairly roughly. i really want a whammy bar for my modest mouse songs :] but i think i'll go check some stores out and play around. im just new and realize i might be trying to move too fast.

i think if you want to spend 1000.00 you should be able to get some good stuff , best thing to do is like always spend 5 hours in the music store mabye even a couple of stores , we all have opinions but everyones ear is different so go explore and have fun while doing it , anyway that is what this is all about anyway right?:yeahhh:

I've got a mexican standard fender strat about 2 months ago. It cost £350 ($700). It looks, feels and sounds great. I wanted that single coil sound that I just couldn't get from my SG. I too wanted a whammy bar (although I'm not sure why, lol), but as yet, apart from messing about with it I havent played anything with it. Looks good though.:winkthumb:

Sorry, I've been gone the past few days, but I got to try out some different guitars. I tried a terrible IbanezG something, a nice Jackson, and a Fender Strat Standard. To be honest they all seemed the same on the amps =/ the ones they had to play on had distortion effects. But after I talked to the guy for awhile he recommended me going with a Fender Strat Standard. They're 400$ and he recommended a 35w amp, I believe. All together it's like 700$. But ive been reading up on the standards and some people say that they go out of tune easy with the whammy bar. Can anyone comment on this from exp?

Sorry, I've been gone the past few days, but I got to try out some different guitars. I tried a terrible IbanezG something, a nice Jackson, and a Fender Strat Standard. To be honest they all seemed the same on the amps =/ the ones they had to play on had distortion effects. But after I talked to the guy for awhile he recommended me going with a Fender Strat Standard. They're 400$ and he recommended a 35w amp, I believe. All together it's like 700$. But ive been reading up on the standards and some people say that they go out of tune easy with the whammy bar. Can anyone comment on this from exp?

That's not the fault of the guitar as much as it is of the trem ("whammy") bar itself.....a $1500 Strat with the same trem setup will do the same thing. The only way to really minimize tuning problems with a trem bar is to go to something like a Floyd Rose - and then you're letting yourself in for a whole different set of issues!

I have a Standard Strat with a trem bar. I seldom use it and have actually thought of blocking it and removing the arm. The tuning problems really show up when you start doing extreme 'whammys' (a la Eddie Van Halen stuff).

Agree with Stratrat, any time you have a bar, you also have a price to pay. If it's a simple design, there will be tuning issues. If it's a Floyd Rose, the tuning headaches get squeezed out of existence, only to pop up as a new set of complexity issues. With my ultra-simple LP Jr, breaking a string during a gig would take under a minute to fix, and adjusting the bridge, including string loosening and retuning, takes maybe 3 minutes. With a Bigsby or the original Strat-style bar, add several seconds for the restring (unless you left the cover plate on the back of your Strat), and multiply the bridge adjustment time by quite a bit. With a Floyd Rose, when your high E snaps during a gig, you'd better have a backup guitar handy, because that guitar isn't going to be playable in the next several minutes. Tuning will be needed much less often, which is a good thing, because it will become much harder to do. Bridge adjustment will be about as quick and fun as a trip to the dentist. And so on. I think the closest thing to the ideal compromise between bar functionality and complexity is probably the Mosrite bar, but you may not want to play one of those, let alone pay thousands for the privilege.

Anyway, if you want a bar, know that there will be problems. You can pick the particular set of problems that you're most comfortable with, but that is all.

So do you think maybe a tele with a whammy pedal?

I'd much rather deal with a hardtail guitar and maybe a slightly "digitized" sound out of a whammy pedal rather than the headaches of a trem bar. That way you have "whammy" when you need it, but no headaches when you don't. Know that using the whammy pedal takes some practice, though.

Hey Strat, don't you have a Fender Standard Strat HSS? Does it not have the whammy bar on it, or am I even more clueless about guitars then I think. If I am then please recommend a 400$-500$ price range guitar that is durable and versatile. But im thinking about buying that combo you recommended the other guy in the "I am so lost" topic.

Hey Strat, don't you have a Fender Standard Strat HSS? Does it not have the whammy bar on it, or am I even more clueless about guitars then I think. If I am then please recommend a 400$-500$ price range guitar that is durable and versatile. But im thinking about buying that combo you recommended the other guy in the "I am so lost" topic.

I do, and it does....and I love the guitar. It's the easiest one to play out of all my guitars. The only reason I haven't blocked the trem yet is that I do use it VERY occasionally (i.e. when playing the intro to Van Halen's D.O.A. or some such), I don't do a lot of big/deep trem bends, and I can tune a guitar fairly quickly, so the tuning headaches are minor. With that said, I wouldn't miss it much if I had bought a hardtail Strat instead. It's much more of a pain when you're first starting out - when tuning takes longer, and you haven't learned yet to not rest your hand on the trem bridge (you'll push it downward and detune your guitar, however slightly). If you lay off the trem bar for the most part, you won't have near as many problems as somebody who's constantly going hog-wild on the thing.

I just need it for some Modest Mouse and Dream Theater songs. I also like to mess around with it. But how I play now I don't rest my hand on anything, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

If you really want it, go for it. The Standard Strat is a great guitar for the money. Just realize that you'll probably have to fiddle with your tuning a bit more than you would on a hardtail. If you want/need the trem bar for certain songs you're going to learn to play, then it'll be worth it for you.

i dont know about much but i have a SQUIRE ,, ya i know hahahahaha .... anyway i jam on it and hit the whammy pretty good , and i only have to tune 3 to 4 times a week and thats really gettin on it , if i just give it a little whammy tuning usually once a week ,,,, and who cares anyway ,unless your playin pro on stage . it only takes 30 sec to tune anyway , or even if you had to tune every day , who cares , have fun man and go for the whammy:yeahhh: :yeahhh::clap: :clap:

i've heard good things about squires, they also look better then fenders in my opinion. besides, you've obviously never seen my Fender Duo Sonic, im thinking about spray painting Stumpy Pete is Dead across it for the spinal tap fans >_> but i don't mind tuning at all, it's good practice for the ears. so i guess im going with a white fender strat standard maybe an hss. but what amp? Thanks for all the replies guys :clap::winkthumb:

also since ive finally reached 10 post. here is the song im trying to learn and why i need a whammy bar :D(there are 7 other songs as well)

YouTube - Modest Mouse - Dramamine (10/6/01)

and here is a guy on a strat playing it

YouTube - Modest Mouse Dramamine guitar cover

As I just posted in another thread - I think Squiers have come a long way in the past couple of years....they're no longer the junky bottom of the line starter guitars they used to be. Yeah, they still make the "Bullet" line which is definitely entry-level, but they're actually turning out some decent axes nowadays (Vintage Modified series, etc.).

So do you think maybe a tele with a whammy pedal?

I just purchased a Bigsby for my Tele. I'll probably be putting it on this weekend. So I'll let you know how it goes. With a strat you can take off the bar and tighten the springs so it doesn't float, or block the trem with a piece of wood. Then the trem doesn't mess with your tuning.

After watching David Gilmour in the Pulse DVD I got a hankering for a trem. I've got a 1982 G&L S-500 strat with no bar so I'm probably going to try and get one from G&L. The standard strat bar doesn't fit.

im lovin my vox ad30vt. it sound great with my les paul , and my (SQUIRE) . lmao .

and it has very good distortion so go check one out .......

you might like.

and i think if you had a distortion pedal , im not sure that you could find a better >>>lower end set up <<< ....... its what i got and love it. the nice thing nowadays is that you can go to any music store and put it all together and try it out

ok i tried out a bunch of strats and figure the whammy bar isnt worth it for me. although one guy put one on a butter scotch tele that looked amazing. i think i'll invest in some effect pedals and a whammy pedal to use when needed :D. but now i guess i don't know what kind of guitar to get. maybe a tele or a gibson. Dean's fit my hands perfectly too... too many choices.