ragser

Ibanez GRG170 VS SA260

ragser    0

I've been looking at both of these guitars for a long time now and I just can't make up my mind. Just for fun. Which one would YOU choose if it were you only by judging from what you can read about them and how they look. I for myself think that the SA260 looks better but it is a bit more expensive as well. Notice that the prices are EURO. One USD is about 7 swedish crowns and one EURO is about 9 crowns so you do the math :eek:

326 €

SA260FM-TLB_2.jpg

http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ibanez-sa260fm-tlb-10219.html

200 €

GRG170DXJB_2.jpg

http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ibanez-grg170dx-jb-6487.html

allthumbs    8

I like the first one for looks. The 5 way switch, coil tap and two part trem is also a plus in my book. 22 frets as opposed to 24 on the second one. A shredder would probably want the 24 fret though

ragser    0
I like the fist one for looks. The 5 way switch, coil tap and two part trem is also a plus in my book. 22 frets as opposed to 24 on the second one. A shredder would probably want the 24 fret though

I agree with everything you say but isn't 24 frets a bit overkill? I mean. How many songs do you know of when you have to use the 23rd of the 24th fret?

jon_stggt    0

The SA is made of better stuff. From neck to body material it's a much better buy.

Unless i'm mistaken, the GRG170 is discontinued, so maybe its lesser build was not such a good seller.

My money would be on the SA for sure.

allthumbs    8
I agree with everything you say but isn't 24 frets a bit overkill? I mean. How many songs do you know of when you have to use the 23rd of the 24th fret?

Every now and then you can run into a song outside the shredding wheedlie genre' that will hit the 23 fret for a note or two SRV does that in one song. Not often enough to be a consideration in my list of must have though.

JessThrasher    10

I always use my 24th now. More than I used to. Ibanez's suck by the way, untill you get into hte mid range or even prestige series. If you want a tremolo bridge, serious the RG370 is worth it.

Stratrat    0
...Not often enough to be a consideration in my list of must have though.

Same here. I only have one 24-fretter (a Schecter), and the only time I've been up in those top 2 or 3 frets was just for fun to see what they sounded like. I could easily do without them. Like AT said, they're mostly for the wheedlydeedly stuff - and even guys with names like Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Angus Young and countless others have made a nice career and some pretty good music playing "only" 22 frets. If you're planning on getting into the shreadhead stuff I guess it might be worth having those extra two - otherwise you'll probably never miss them.

ragser    0
Same here. I only have one 24-fretter (a Schecter), and the only time I've been up in those top 2 or 3 frets was just for fun to see what they sounded like. I could easily do without them. Like AT said, they're mostly for the wheedlydeedly stuff - and even guys with names like Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Angus Young and countless others have made a nice career and some pretty good music playing "only" 22 frets. If you're planning on getting into the shreadhead stuff I guess it might be worth having those extra two - otherwise you'll probably never miss them.

I'm definitely into shredding but I'm not THAT much into it that I'd enjoy listening to uber fast shredding over and over. It gives me a headache. I'd love to be able to shred like JerryC or Funtwo though. They use it in a suitable and beautiful way. JerryC is my idol. I REALLY want to be able to play Canon Rock and I'm Alright (Created by Neil Zaza but I like JerryCs' version better) one day. I'd still be able to to that with a 22 fret guitar, right? Cuz as far as I know. The strat that JerryC uses (make a search on youtube) has 22 frets. But I could be mistaking.

allthumbs    8

Accoding to this site. He has the only 24 fret strat in the world. The problem with a 24 fret neck on a standard scale strat body is that the perfect position for the neck pup would be under the 24th fret. Something to do with the antipode 5th harmonic. The pup would have to be placed lower on the body unless you changed the scale length of the whole guitar, which would then change the sound any way. So 24 fret strats are probably a rarity.

ragser    0
Accoding to this site. He has the only 24 fret strat in the world. The problem with a 24 fret neck on a standard scale strat body is that the perfect position for the neck pup would be under the 24th fret. Something to do with the antipode 5th harmonic. The pup would have to be placed lower on the body unless you changed the scale length of the whole guitar, which would then change the sound any way. So 24 fret strats are probably a rarity.

This topic made me wonder if the SA really is the right guitar for me. I want to get a guitar that would make me able to get the kind of sound my idols does (JerryC, Funtwo and Neil Zaza) but I've noticed that most of them has two humbucker pickups and this one only has one. The GRG170 does have two humbucker pickups and 24 frets but it's a hardrock guitar and that's not my kind of style. I'm pretty much allround. I could play hardrock but not stick to it entirely. Would the SA260 really live up to my expectations that I'd some day be able to play something similar to Neil Zaza, Funtwo and JerryC without getting disappointed in my guitar?

Stratrat    0
Would the SA260 really live up to my expectations that I'd some day be able to play something similar to Neil Zaza, Funtwo and JerryC without getting disappointed in my guitar?

By the time you're good enough to play like that, you'll probably have gone through at least two or three guitars! :yes: That's not going to happen in six months or a year. By the time you reach that stage, you'll have more experience with guitars and you'll have a much clearer idea of exactly what you want as far as pickups, neck, frets, body, etc.

The guitar isn't going to make you play like that - PRACTICE (lots and lots of it) is going to make you play like that. Any of those people could play the same stuff on a low-end department store guitar and still sound good. Buy the guitar that feels and plays best to you right now - the one that you will always want to pick up and play, and just can't put down until your fingers bleed. What's best for somebody else isn't necessarily best for you.

Example - if I wanted to learn/play Stevie Ray Vaughan's music, I'm pretty certain I'd hate to play his guitar. He used high action and VERY heavy strings - HE may have the finger strength to bend those "cables", but I sure wouldn't. The vast majority of us would be much better off trying to learn his stuff on a simple Strat with .009's on it - his rig would be all but unplayable for a lot of people.

ragser    0
By the time you're good enough to play like that, you'll probably have gone through at least two or three guitars! :yes: That's not going to happen in six months or a year. By the time you reach that stage, you'll have more experience with guitars and you'll have a much clearer idea of exactly what you want as far as pickups, neck, frets, body, etc.

The guitar isn't going to make you play like that - PRACTICE (lots and lots of it) is going to make you play like that. Any of those people could play the same stuff on a low-end department store guitar and still sound good. Buy the guitar that feels and plays best to you right now - the one that you will always want to pick up and play, and just can't put down until your fingers bleed. What's best for somebody else isn't necessarily best for you.

Example - if I wanted to learn/play Stevie Ray Vaughan's music, I'm pretty certain I'd hate to play his guitar. He used high action and VERY heavy strings - HE may have the finger strength to bend those "cables", but I sure wouldn't. The vast majority of us would be much better off trying to learn his stuff on a simple Strat with .009's on it - his rig would be all but unplayable for a lot of people.

Yea. I suppose you're right strat. This guitar does feel good and it sure looks awesome :D Call me shallow but if a guitar looks good I can't help but pick it up with the intention to just play it for a couple a minutes. One hour later I realize how long I've been sitting there, put it down and continue with what I was doing :)

dejankuki    0

This is my opinnion,

First, SA260, is better guitar overall.

it has a mohagony body, it means better sustain.

potenciometer for coil tap so that you can split coils and you have single sound on a humbucker pickup. This give you a much wider are of ussage.

Tremolo is better on this guitar to. True willkinson type.

GRG170 is good guitar but I don't recomendet it because is from basswood, it has a low cost pickups.

Although, it is not bad guitar, but if you have money for SA buy SA.

24th fret is good but sound and tone needs to be in 1st place.

And if you want 24 fret guitar maybe you can look for guitar with Floyd rose tremolo.

dejankuki    0

Well is quite different and same.

Firts, you load strings like in regular vintage type but on mashine heads you have screws that hold string tight so you don't need to round strings over and over. You can round just one or two circles and tighten with screws and it's gonna hold strings not to go out of tune.

2nd this is kind of floating tremolo so you can do dive up or dive out but dive up from 0 not will be like on FR, although is pretty enough.

3. You don't have a micro tuner, unfortunatly. But if you tune guitar well it doesen't mather to much.

At the end, not like FR but very usuable if you don't wanna to wammy bar to much.

Chunk    0

It simply has to be the SA, the looks, the build - everything is better.

I recently bought an ibanez similar to that, just a little more expensive, and i can tell you they are truly awesome!

The look of that particular model is sweet too, follow your heart mate.

Chunk