kaka

[Help]Amps and Guitar

kaka    1

okay .. now finally when its my turn to buy an electric guitar, im completely confused.

first let me tell this it has been only 1 year and i just started to learn scales. its been really confusing about Gibson and Epiphone for me.

These are my choices and help will be much much appreciated.

Amps

i dont know which one to buy :dunno: but will try out with the info that Fly and Jessica had given in another post.(p.s.- is cube another name for Amp??)

Cables

i dont know what cables to use. i also want to connect my guitar to my pc. so do i use another cable as well??

Distortion

do i get enough distortion from the Cube/Amp??or do i need to buy the metal pedal from Marshall??

Pickups

how many types of pickups are there?? i have heard of neck pickup and so on.

i will be using this guitar for practise as well as gigs. i am intrested in Rock, Metal , Blues , Country , Southern Rock , Classic Rock etc..

Help will be really valuable. :)

allthumbs    8

The SG would be at 3 on my list. They have been known to have neck stability problems. The two Schecters are mostly metal shredder beasts so they don't fit that well with your wider range of musical tastes. That narrows it down to the LPs. The Gibbie will have, in theory, better pups and hardware. Their over all quality has been spotty the last couple of years. The Epi can be upgraded for less than the price of the Gibbie but, not to an equal status. The bigger guitar stores should carry both. Try them out and see which one talks to you. Some Epis play extremely well and some Gibbies are dogs. It can be the other way too. Each guitar is different. Play as many of the two as you can.

BackToBlack    0

I'd pick one of the Les Pauls. They can easily switch from a hard edge sound to a nice warm, rhthym sound. I guess whether you choose the Gibson or the Epiphone is a matter of money. Just know that the Gibson LP is a little heavy!

For distortion you may want a distortion/overdrive pedal. You can get them as low as 40 bucks-I just got one me self.

Stratrat    0

"Cube" refers to a series of (very good) amps made by Roland. There is the Micro Cube, Cube 15X, Cube 20X, Cube 30X and Cube 60 (the number of each denoting the wattage). They all have various amp emulations and onboard effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, reverb, delay, tremolo).

JessThrasher    10

The LP or SG more fits your style. But LP's are heavy like a brick! Never use a chain on them like Zakk Wylde unless you want some serious problems for life!

P-90    1

Here's a thought... when you're off trying guitars out, try one of these:

Buy Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker Dual Pickup Electric Guitar

A genuine Gibson with two P-90 pickups (I like those, as you might be able to figure out), much lighter than a Les Paul, and much cheaper, too.

And to answer a couple of your remaining questions:

Distortion: most amps will provide some. It may or may not give exactly the sound you were looking for, which is why pedals and multi-effects boxes exist. My recommendation would be to get a decent but cheap practice amp for the time being, because it's almost inevitable that you'll have switched amps in a year or so, and you'll have a much better idea of what you're after at that point.

Pickups: The one by the neck gives a fuller sound, the one by the bridge gives more treble (and is sometimes a bit quieter). Treble can be reduced using your guitar's tone control, but a toned-down bridge pickup still never sounds exactly like a neck pickup.

There are also two basic styles of pickups, single-coil and humbuckers. Single coils tend to give more treble and more detail, but are prone to picking up hum from things like fluorescent lights and power lines. Humbuckers get around that problem, and have a richer sound, but in some cases may lose detail and sound a little muddy by comparison.

Another way of avoiding hum is by using two pickups at once -- when you see a three-pickup guitar, that's mostly what the middle pickup is for, to allow you to chose the neck pickup sound or the bridge pickup sound with hum cancellation. But it also works on most two-pickup guitars, if you don't mind a middling sort of tone.

That's another thing I like about Melody Makers (and most guitars with 2 single-coil pickups). When you're playing in a place where hum would normally impair your nice single-coil sound, you can use both pickups at once and cancel it out. Which is a nice ace to have up your sleeve.

krissovo    0

I had the choice last year between the Gibson LP and a Epi, I tried both and with my limited skills (12 months playing) there was not much tone difference between the a standard Gibson and the Epi LP custom (It shares the same hardware to a certain degree) certainly not enough to justify 4 x the price.

The Epi was a great axe, paired up very nicely with my Roland Cube 30, and almost as good with my VOX 30w amp. Amps are very personal so I will not try to influence you but try out some cheapish practice amps until you find the direction you want your tone to go and then hunt around for a decent amp. I now use a Fender Blues Junior as I love the bluesy slightly dirty tone it provides.

If you are new to electrics I would also treat yourself to a cheap multi effects unit paired up with a practice amp. I stated with a Zoom G2.1, had fun and used that to find what I like, I have since upgraded to the G7.1ut as well as a small pedal board with distortion a blues driver and compressor. I just bought 2nd hand a Korg toneworks 100ag for €40, cheap at twice the price and that has loads of amps and effects as well as drum machine, phrase trainer and 6 seconds of looping to have fun with. The multi effects will open up loads of effects to you at a cheap price and help your curiosity.

Good luck, sounds like you have the budget to get a decent rig but get out there and play.

Incidently Gibsons are serious money, just think for the price of a Gibson you can get an epi LP and a american strat or telecaster so between those 3 there is a serious amount of versatility!!!

Andy S    9
okay .. now finally when its my turn to buy an electric guitar, im completely confused.

first let me tell this it has been only 1 year and i just started to learn scales. its been really confusing about Gibson and Epiphone for me.

These are my choices and help will be much much appreciated.

Amps

i dont know which one to buy :dunno: but will try out with the info that Fly and Jessica had given in another post.(p.s.- is cube another name for Amp??)

Cables

i dont know what cables to use. i also want to connect my guitar to my pc. so do i use another cable as well??

Distortion

do i get enough distortion from the Cube/Amp??or do i need to buy the metal pedal from Marshall??

Pickups

how many types of pickups are there?? i have heard of neck pickup and so on.

i will be using this guitar for practise as well as gigs. i am intrested in Rock, Metal , Blues , Country , Southern Rock , Classic Rock etc..

Help will be really valuable. :)

i will be using this guitar for practise as well as gigs.

Been playing only a year and your planning gigs?!!! Excellent !! Love it when folks are looking forward and know what they want!! Seriously!! So, now for the tools for the job!

Interested in a bunch of genres, but which is the strongest? I've known only two guys, not studio players, that can really handle all types of music well enough to play them all really well. Also, If you're gonna gig, I have never seen a band do ALL the above mentioned types of music. They may do parodies or comical attempts, but not serious attempts. So, I'd concentrate on the music that really lights you up, then proceed from there.

The info on the guitars has been on the money. You may want to look into the new Fender Strat VG. It is quite an amazing instrument. You could cover all types (ok, maybe not metal) of music with that. It has the Strat tone, Tele tone, Humbucker tone, can switch to 12 string, alternate tunings. Really pretty sweet. The only thing I didn't like about it was the neck was more of a rounded, fat C shape. I'm used to the shallow C. Oh, that is the way the shape of the back of the neck is made

Amps....you would want to go for something that has more versatility than just a Rock amp. With the plethora of effects pedals and modelers out now, I would look for an amp that had plenty of clean power and use the pedals or modeler for the rock tones and stuff.

Cables.....Ok, this is such a great topic!!! Oxygen free cables, directional cables, etc. Unless you are recording, a typical cable will not affect the tones and should last you for quite a while. You will not notice any audible frequency loss. So think middle of the road price wise.

Distortion....see effects pedals above.

Pickups....see guitars.

Take a day , if possible a weekday (Saturdays the music stores are usually full of folks trying stuff out or just making noise.) Or maybe a late Sunday afternoon. I found Sunday afternoons, GC & Sam Ash aren't too busy. Plan on spending several hours there. Trying out as many guitars in your price range. (by the way, you didn't mention how much you have to spend. That alone can limit what you get.

If cash is no problem, think PRS guitars....ooops!! let's not go down that path! Sorry!)

Anyway, take a LOT of time, play as many guitars as you want that interest you. Play them first without an amp. This way you'll get to feel the thing in your hands. If it sounded great through an amp, but it is awkwards in your hands, it's not a good fit.

So, play as many that interest you. When you have that few picked out. Try them in different amps. I did mention this is gonna take a while, didn't I? It may drive the sales guy nuts, but if he wants a sale, he'll be helpful. Also, this is a way to find out how much the sales guy knows.

The key thing is, when trying out all these guitars and amps, HAVE SOME FUN!!! Play some stuff you know, WANG AWAY on some of them. Hit a note, stretch it out and see how long the note holds. Fun stuff!

If you have a friend that plays, let him/her play the same guitar and you stand in front of the amp & see how it sounds.

Good Luck and remember, Have FUN!!!:smilinguitar:

testekleez    0

You might like the Schecter Tempest. The vid might take a while to load but it gives you a good idea of the tone and variety in this guitar.

Just type in Schecter Tempest on youtube to hear several different styles of music on the same guitar. The C-1, is a great one too and contrary to popular belief, you can get great blues sounds from it as well as rock/metal.

Schecter makes great guitars at fair prices. I'm going to try several Schecter's tomorrow hopefully. Getting one too so I feel your pain. Just have to play several different styles/brands of guitars til you find one you like.

From the choices up there I would probably go with the schecter hellraiser (or perhaps up it a little bit and take a look at the Hellraiser avenger).

Anyways... IMO the Gibson LP is a little overrated because it's "the guitar" along with the fender strat. Same thing goes for the SG (from my experience with SG's they are extremely faulty and never stay in tune).

I would take a look at the Epi LP.. maybe play one in a store. I've never personally played one but from what I know they are not that far off from the Gibson.

I personally like schecters and you probably wouldn't have to upgrade the pickups on the schecter at any point since Seymour duncans and EMG's are great pickups.

Now some things I would suggest.

Look at some paul reed smiths. The higher end ones traditionally go in the 1,500+ range but you can get some cheep PRS guitars that have great tonal qualities and are more towards that classic rock sound. You can get an insane variety of sound out of them straight from the knobs.

I would also suggest looking at some ESP guitars. They have some really beautiful looking guitars and although the company is known for metal, you can get some great sounding guitars for classic, hard rock etc.

Good luck shopping. I'm in the process of getting one too and there are frankly too many choices for me.

kaka    1

at first i thought i wer being sarcastic. lol

the reason that i said that

, was because i dont know if my dad will ever invest in a good guitar again. :yes: AND "if" i get to jam with the band or a gig possibly, i can use my guitar.

and when i asked about pickups, what i meant was "how many types of pickups are there??"

neck/bridge like that. now that i know that there is 2 types i was hoping to get more info on the difference between both.

im mainly into Rock/Metal and Blues. and folk too. but nevermind. i got my acoustic guitar for that purpose.

:guitardude:

but later on i came to think this way.

Why dont i buy a Epi LP and replace the humbuckers with EMG-85 and EMG-81(zakk wylde EMGs).

one of my friends told me that the guitar would not hold the change and it would melt off.! is there something like that??

and i find this guitar affordable and much good. what do you think?

B.C. Rich Outlaw PX3T Electric Guitar

kaka    1
From the choices up there I would probably go with the schecter hellraiser (or perhaps up it a little bit and take a look at the Hellraiser avenger).

Anyways... IMO the Gibson LP is a little overrated because it's "the guitar" along with the fender strat. Same thing goes for the SG (from my experience with SG's they are extremely faulty and never stay in tune).

I would take a look at the Epi LP.. maybe play one in a store. I've never personally played one but from what I know they are not that far off from the Gibson.

I personally like schecters and you probably wouldn't have to upgrade the pickups on the schecter at any point since Seymour duncans and EMG's are great pickups.

Now some things I would suggest.

Look at some paul reed smiths. The higher end ones traditionally go in the 1,500+ range but you can get some cheep PRS guitars that have great tonal qualities and are more towards that classic rock sound. You can get an insane variety of sound out of them straight from the knobs.

I would also suggest looking at some ESP guitars. They have some really beautiful looking guitars and although the company is known for metal, you can get some great sounding guitars for classic, hard rock etc.

Good luck shopping. I'm in the process of getting one too and there are frankly too many choices for me.

PurplePeopleEaters, honestly , i dont want guitars that look good. because later on if i get fed up with the design and want another one , it will be tough for me. thats why i chose this guitar from the B.C Rich series

and i appreciate you taking time and replying to my question. :winkthumb:

P-90    1

Why dont i buy a Epi LP and replace the humbuckers with EMG-85 and EMG-81(zakk wylde EMGs).

one of my friends told me that the guitar would not hold the change and it would melt off.! is there something like that??

The only problems I could see are:

(1) the EMG pickups aren't the size of humbuckers, they're more like the size of humbuckers plus the mounting rings, so it wouldn't be the simplest of replacements. The screw holes appear to be the same distance apart, but doing it so that it wouldn't be ugly could be a challenge.

(2) It would require some rewiring, and figuring out where in the body you were going to stuff a 9-volt battery.

As far as the stuff your friend was saying... melting?!? No, no risk of anything melting.

But there are a lot of great pickups out there which are exactly the size of a humbucker, and don't require rewiring or batteries, so upgrading from the Epi humbuckers doesn't have to be traumatic. I swapped out the pickup on my LP Jr. immediately after I got it, and it sounds great.

But then again, you'd be missing out on some of the reason people do that sort of thing -- one of the main motivations is because it allows you to put together a great guitar on a budget, upgrading parts as you can afford them. If your dad's buying it all as a one-shot sort of deal, some of the incentive for doing that goes away.

kaka    1

hello krissovo

i was replying that to another guy above ur post. i know this one is an epiphone. but my Budget is 750$$ . and that should include everything. and i am not sure that my dads gona buy me another one in 3 yrs or so. so i better be prepared. what i came across is Buy ESP LTD JH200 Jeff Hanneman Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend this one and take a look. it has tremulo.. the main cause i put aside epis and lps is that i need a guitar with a tremulo. and this guitar has it all. dont you think?? i can even change the pickups if i want to, to my fav ZakkWyle EMG also.

krissovo    0

Great reviews but not my style, I am more bluesy or rock so I am not the best to give you an opinion.

With all your requirements maybe you should look at modeled guitars, I have the 700 but the 300 has the same guitar models and its in your budget.

270413.jpg

Buy Line 6 Variax 300 Modeling Guitar online at Musician's Friend

Couple that guitar with a line 6 amp or pod and you will have most situations covered

461619.jpg

Buy Line 6 Spider III 75 Modeling Combo Amplifier online at Musician's Friend

fly135    5

kaka, I don't know where you live but Craigslist is a way to find incredible deals. Whatever you get now, you will be wanting something different a year down the road. Don't over think it and try to find something nice that you can get your money back when you sell it.

kaka    1

hello fly i do understand. i live in India. so basically getting deals from musicians friend is impossible. do i get to ship to asia even>?? from craigslist? because im going to malaysia. so will they ship there atleast??

PurplePeopleEaters, honestly , i dont want guitars that look good. because later on if i get fed up with the design and want another one , it will be tough for me. thats why i chose this guitar from the B.C Rich series

and i appreciate you taking time and replying to my question. :winkthumb:

By looking I meant checking out the guitar sites. They have all sorts of guitars on there. If you're going for a guitar with EMG's like taking the epi and putting in ZW EMG's (that's what I did with my ESP EX), check out the ESP EC or eclipse series guitars. These come with EMGs or seymour duncans traditionally and have that same LP look for a lower price.

Buy ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

ESP EC1000 with 81-60 EMG's or Seymour duncan JB/59 set.

I know you stated you don't care about looks but the EC is a beautiful guitar with the pearl inlays and the sunburst, black cherry, or black with gold trim finish. It will give you the tones you want out of the EMG's, and the neck and body design for playability that the LP has. Just a suggestion.

Although if your budget is 750 you could go with an ESP eclipse-500 with 81-60's..and buy the line 6 spider III (that will give you an insane amount of different tones and sounds). I have the spider II 75 watt and that gives me a bunch of great tones. The spider ii doesn't have the presets of the spider iii so I would assume the spider iii has even more great tonal possibilities. Good luck shopping...

kaka    1

Couple that guitar with a line 6 amp or pod and you will have most situations covered

461619.jpg

Buy Line 6 Spider III 75 Modeling Combo Amplifier online at Musician's Friend

Although if your budget is 750 you could go with an ESP eclipse-500 with 81-60's..and buy the line 6 spider III (that will give you an insane amount of different tones and sounds). I have the spider II 75 watt and that gives me a bunch of great tones. The spider ii doesn't have the presets of the spider iii so I would assume the spider iii has even more great tonal possibilities. Good luck shopping...

dont you guys think this amp outstands it all???

265432.jpg

Buy Behringer V-Tone GMX210 Stereo Combo Amp online at Musician's Friend

and it is much cheaper than the SPIDER 3