Clancy

What's Hot... is not such a hot idea for the Members Showcase

Do you like the idea of a chart "top hits list" showing on the Members Showcase?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of a chart "top hits list" showing on the Members Showcase?

• Yes I think it's a good idea.
    • No, I think it will discourage some members from posting. It's too competitive.

I voted no, I am doing this for fun more than anything and as much as I would like to be like GT, Rocker Bob, Jomi, LC Jones and the many more great players here I doubt I will get there this decade and I dont need my playing frustrations compounding by sitting bottom of a chart.

Mind you if it came in I would not leave and I would still add my bit now and again.

Would it be time to split the begineers and the beyonds?

It's not a split nor should there be a split twixt the less experience from the more experienced.

Anyone can post in Showcase as long as the tune is, for all intents and purposes, a "completed" tune to the best of anyones abilities and not just a rambling of guitar riff's or progressions. It's an opportunity to "showcase" your best work regardless of experience. The only caveat is the song is to be a complete AND original tune. It doesn't need words. It doesn't need a complete compliment of studio FX. Just a complete and original tune.

It's not meant to oust the less experienced. It's to provide a venue for those that have a complete song they would like to share. And rather than a good tune get lost in the shuffle of page clicks, the Showcase provides a more permanent location for the tune.

As far as a count goes, in all honesty and in the greater scheme of things, it means nothing. However, as I mentioned, I would like to see a count just to get an idea of how many times a particular tune as been played. But it doesn't mean squat.

LC

LC Quote: " I would like to see a count just to get an idea of how many times a particular tune as been played. But it doesn't mean squat."

Clancy.....a question: If you just click on a song and listen to say a 3rd or half of it does that count as a play? The reason I ask is because if it does, then it has nothing to do with the populartiy of a song. Myself I pretty much try to listen to as many as I can, but it doesn't necessarily mean I like them! This is just a for instance mind you.........I think LC, Rockerbob and Kirk are great and really like their songs (most of them):dunno: but not necessarily everything they do, but I always listen. So my point is that I don't think the number means anything! I equally listen to the new guys, especially if it's a collab. cause I'm interested in the final product anad what these guys & gals have come up with!!! Also, I'm always going to listen to someone whose never posted before, you never know they may be the brightest upcoming star!

If I understood correctly (pain pills aside X4 lol!) you had it set up that a each member's click only counted for one vote anyway, so multiple listens by the same memeber would not be in the total. Is that right Clancy

So far it sounds like everybody is mulling it over and coming up with some good suggestions. I like separating it in the forum, it was becoming very hard to find anything and took you in too many different directions.

Maybe some day I'll get brave enough to post. It'll probably have to be a collab. cause I can sing fairly well, pretty good at strumming rhythm (not great, if I get nervous I miss chords), and have no apptitude for songwriting. So if anyone wants to write me a country song I might try it!!!! Hint ....hint!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

There ya go !

Evereybody's right on with this. Showcase, a place put the final cut.

Beginners, do your best, listen to or ask for suggestions, and when you feel its your best then post it. You can count on me listening and sharing an opionion.

As for me, well I did my first (3)tunes here and they are the first recordings I did in my life time, and all done with the help of others like Kirks lessons, lyric inspiration from LC Jones, X4, Hilch and others, my son Todd and close friends like Steve(smort) ,the singing inspiration from Jomi and new found friends like Jim & John Bullard, skinny, YouToo and many others here on GFB&B.

And as far as the play counts, I think they should stay.

This is not a contest but a personal goal.:winkthumb:

For those who have never had the opportunity to sit with others in a jam session, I treasure the new created showcase thread as just that. The showcase jam, the place where seasoned player can listen to each others work and say "Awe Ya" that was good smile and inspire them to do thier own next best thing, and inspire the beginner like me to do the same.

eddiez

At least there is alot of voting going on. There are certainly different views on the matter. How long does the poll run for?

offtopic: Hilch, like your new avatar. :D :D :D

Ok, I've closed this poll. I've also changed a few things in the Members Showcase

First off, the threads are no longer created in the "Recording Booth" forum when a entry is submitted in the Showcase... you can now add comments in the "Showcase itself" ... you will now see a "Add a Comment" link under each entry - for example see the Rock category here - scroll down a bit and you'll see one of Rockerbob's tunes has had two comments added to it already.

After reading through the replies here, we have decided to re-enable the "What's Hot" list... no-one should worry that they'll be down the bottom of the list as it will only show the top 10 played songs. There's no bottom... plus I've also enabled it so that there is a 24 hour play time... that means that each members play of a song is only counted once every 24 hours... I think this will work better because as Doty pointed out, just because a member listens to a tune once it doesn't mean they like it, it just means they have had a listen... if the member comes back the next day or following days to listen, this would mean that it is a hit... this may not show accurately for the first little while (while the showcase is still new) but after some time, the popular songs will rise to the top. The other way a member can see if his or her song is received well is to read the comments left.

This part of the site was set up for finished songs (originals or public domain). It's not somewhere where beginners should be posting their songs for feedback, that should go in the forum itself... also unfinished songs and collaborations that are still being worked on should go in the forum. I will be re-shuffling things in the "Recording Booth" forum so that works a bit better again.

Well hope this all makes more sense... it's had a few teething problems but I really do think that the Members Showcase will end up being a really great addition to the site. We have many talented members here and it's always a shame to see their threads (and therefore music) being dropped off the page in the "Recording Booth" forum.

... and finally, I will be making the play button a pop-up player so you can surf to other pages while listening to the music in the Showcase... and also, the reason I have set it so that tunes are streamable (not downloadable) is that in the future, members may want to sell their CD's and not already have given all their music away as downloads. That's why I have set it up that way. I think that's only fair.

Cheers

Clancy

Clancy,

It makes good sense. Thank you for listening to all the members here on this. I hope to think we are all in this toghether.

Thanks Eddie,

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I'm going to close all the threads that were created in the "Recording Booth" forum announcing each submission to the "Members Showcase" - this will hopefully encourage members to comment in the Showcase instead of using those threads to leave comments.

Clancy

Thanks Eddie. It keeps it all in the one place which I think is a better idea anyway.

We will be really promoting the Showcase coming up soon... I just want to iron out all the bugs first, but after that we will be promoting it everywhere... this is where we will be getting the tunes for our radio, the featured song of the week and we might even have a featured member of the week too.

Clancy

Darn just when I had more for the debate

Oh well next

Off subject :

The avatar is me right now , scarey little critter hey

Clancy,

I noticed one thing in the showcase. Lets say you make a mistake

in the decription but do not notice it. Do an upload, now find a mistake to edit. Why do you have to upload the file again ?

maybe I did it wrong on the edit. Sorry!

You shouldn't need to Eddie. Once you have submitted the upload, you should be able to just edit the description at any time.

Clancy

Clancy something I have just found you may want to investigate a little deeper ..

Members Recordings : under this sub forum the text reads members lets hear you or something along them lines , but when you enter it ...

It is full of show case , I think all the show case songs should be under their own sub forum , then newer material can be critqued away from the show case songs ..

Just my demented brain at work again

Trev

All sounds cool Clancy, and I really like the way the Showcase is now setup.

No "quote", "smilies" etc, under the comments button is a good idea, will encourage people to concentrate on the music! Which Showcase is all about.

Obviously, a lot of thought gone into this.....well done.

The avatar is me right now , scarey little critter hey

Haha, down right scarey. :eek::eek::eek:

Good decision Clancy, you've obviously taken time to listen to both sides. :winkthumb:

Thanks Skinny, thanks Europa... and you're right about the smilie/ quote code Skinny. It was an option we could have used but I decided to take it off as it would take away from the music itself. It looks a little boring, but I think it'll work better that way.

Clancy

Clancy

Clancy, you do an excellent job........and with such finesse and tact! The changes sound great and it sounds like everyone's opinion was considered. You deserve a big pat on the back for a great job!

Lucky i don't run this forum, i've always been a leave well enough alone guy, but as i get a clearer picture of how it could work, i like it. Hey even if your not jimi hendrick, you could be like norman greenbanm, (spriit in the sky) and get lucky with a one hit wonder;)