Clancy

What's Hot... is not such a hot idea for the Members Showcase

Do you like the idea of a chart "top hits list" showing on the Members Showcase?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of a chart "top hits list" showing on the Members Showcase?

• Yes I think it's a good idea.
    • No, I think it will discourage some members from posting. It's too competitive.

After thinking a bit more about it, we have decided to (at this stage) disable the What's Hot chart in the Members Showcase... We also have taken off the showing of the plays.

We thought at first it would be a good thing to have here, but it's not really what this site is about... we don't want to encourage a competitive environment (and I know that happens whenever there are chart like situations). It makes the players on top feel great, but the others who aren't getting the plays often can feel pretty rotten... and that's the very last thing we want here.

I'm curious to hear feedback on this... we can always reaccess the situation down the line a bit, but we don't want the new part to the site to put anyone off submitting their music.

We will still have a featured section, but it won't be a popularity chart like of thing.

So what does everyone think?

I've added a poll here now. The votes aren't public so no-one will know how you voted. Just curious. Please put in your vote if you have an opinion on it.

Clancy

That is a good idea WW. It's not something that's built into that script but I may be able to write something that'll work for that. We will be using the Members Showcase for the GFB&B Radio, just got to work out how to do it so it's automatic. Coming up soon.

Thanks for your feedback, it really is appreciated.

Clancy

Totally agree Ms Clancy

Hey I know I am hot , do we really need others saying I am ?

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Sorry could not help that

Yeah I am vain

Trev

I personally couldn't care less about people on the top of the list. It wouldn't stop me submitting my own or discourage me in any way. IMO it shouldn't matter to anyone. All it means is that the top songs are very popular and good.

I do understand why this has been changed though, and it's probably a good decision, I understand we're looking at the bigger picture, and that this is the reason its been changed.

Therefore its a still a good decision Clancy. :yes:

I'm not totally sure which way is the better way to go... I would just hate to see anyone being discouraged by the chart system... Maybe we could set up a poll.

Clancy

I see the poll results Clancy but........

How does one vote ?

I can see the better musicians liking it and I can see the players like me thinking will I ever be able to make the charts ..

Its a bit like the radio we have here , the better players will be heard there but the 3 chord beginners like myself listen and know we aint going to be there any time soon .

This isn't anything against the better players honestly , but for one minute put yourself in a beginners seat ...

Charts , Radio for members a guy like me can play probably play 4 chords 5 on the outside , whats the chance of me ever being able to get make a chart ? be on the radio ? Truth very very very slim members would rather read my songs then have me butcher the words with my singing and playing .

So what does everyone think?

I am totally against it , but thats just me .. We do have a large number of beginners here , I believe more encouragement on getting more beginners to record is a better way to go . This way the more experienced players do and will give positive feed back .That is not in a competitive enviroment .

I know I am a bit of a rat bag on the forum but one reason I like this forum is because there is NO competitiveness between members .

A old hack like me can even join in with colaborations , maybe this would be better as well . if we can Bring colaborations to the fore-front and guys and gals like me can have some involvement in making music ..Oh I almost forgot another idea from my demented head , say I click on Rocker Bobs profile , and all his music is there so I don't have to look for them ? I do like to listen to Bob and about 5 other members while I m on this webb site ...Just a thought

Oh well I have had my say and I thank anyone for reading this , I don't think I am a lone voice here .

Thank you

Trevor

Hilch speaks the struth...LOL I saw the 'charts' thingy too, and I suppose a member who needed the affirmation could manipulate them by playing their own song, many times...I didn't realize that until after I had played my own a couple of times and saw the # go up, so if there is no way to block out one's own opportunity to ascend the charts by voting for yourself, then the point would be moot at best.

As Hilch said, there's no way to vote on the poll...? Is the link bolloxed?

Elle

I agree with your thoughts, Clancy - but the poll as it's currently set up doesn't allow voting, so you're not going to get much feedback through it! :)

I think the majority of us who spend time in the Recording forums know who the 'chart toppers' would be anyways.....there are a group of very talented musicians here who are definitely in the "beyond" category, who turn out some very well-written and professionally recorded songs. I can't hope to hold a candle to them anytime in the foreseeable future, so it's no surprise to me that I'm not on GFB&B radio and wouldn't be on the charts.

I don't know that it would foster a competitive atmosphere per se, because the 'chart toppers' here don't seem to be egotistical types. But maybe it would in some way create an environment that would make beginners less likely to contribute their recordings. The "Feedback on your playing" forum is a good idea, but the title is rather non-descript.....maybe having one forum labeled as being expressly for beginners would encourage contributions. It's pretty intimidating to write/perform a song and post it in the "Members' Recordings" forum alongside some of the songs from the 'heavy hitters'.

I see why you guys think this was the right decision.

However:

As a beginner, I have absolutely no intention of making the "hot" charts, and I don't think most beginners do. Also, seeing some good players in the charts: Why would that affect and/or discourage you?

It just means they're good players. But like I've said, I don't think it would discourage anyone, although I can't speak for more people than myself.

So is this such a big issue?

As I'm "struggling" between both sides, I'm staying neutral on this.

Clancy, all I can say is, do what's right, and look at the bigger picture.

All the members seem to have solid feedback!

Well, Kirk and Keith are the top here and if you don't know that than you are not a contributing member. I prefer to listen to a more heavy type of music but I also listen to Kirk and Keith as well.

I also listen to as much as possible other peoples music as diversity is a good thing? If you are learning does it matter what or who's song you learned from?

The top of the crop list I don't care if it's posted one way or another.

Some musicians are naturally better.

I know if I click a link to Kirk's or Keith's (RB) music i will get a well done song.

If I click on one of my links I get a mackerel. :laughingg:

Cheers, :beer:

Jay

Glad you're with me on this Jay. :P

Seriously though, Jay has a good point here. :yes:

Since it's too late to edit my last post, allow me to add another peso to my 0.02....I agree with Hilch and Witchy Woman about the "Collabs" forum - that's a lot of fun and a great way for members to get involved with each other. It's kinda hidden as a sub-sub-forum right now, I think it would be nice to move it more to the forefront rather than having it tucked away like an afterthought.

Hmm, actually i just logged on and unless i just forgot noticed i couldn't find number of plays on the songs. Just as the old forum everyone could view the number of plays a song had. So maybe if charts isn't the way to go, just the number of plays would be ok. Since there's new people coming in the forum all the time. Also even though there are exellent players here, there's still not time for most people to listen to everything even the good stuff (as i can attest)

Speaking of which i will be away from a computer most of this week mon-thur....i will be going through withdrawals;)

Well, I'm not sure how to answer this....I'm damn proud of my recording post in here, I've learned so much in these few months since joining, all due to the excellent help from you and Kirk as well as from others here that offer. I know that I'm no chartbuster, But I can recognize talent when I hear it, and We/You have a lot of talented musicians here, all deserving of a number one spot on any chart system. No matter what type of system used, I'll still have my own thoughts as to who fits where in "my" Favorite Players list that I keep to myself.

One more thought and I'll shut-up....

The pro's in here know they're great, I don't think any of them post to get the label of #1, if their heart is right about their music, they are sharing their enjoyment with others as music was meant to be.

For those whose feelings get hurt over not being able to say "I'm better than so an so", in my opinion, aren't all that "great" to begin with.

The preceeding message was provided by..."Ego's aren't Us" :)

Good call Clancy. More power to you. I also think that some guys, most of them beginners could feel under-rated if that option is on. And of course, music is not about the popularity of a song what makes it soooo good. It can be a 1 click wonder FOR ME and that´s all that matters: what I like. Its all about personal tastes, and those options sometimes keep us away from incredible musical pieces just because the writer is not a "pop" character around. So, good move :claping:

i agree with stratrat its there for the more exp player and is a good thing , and if you not as exp as some then it will give you drive to continue and learn , i know when i hear better players it motivates me to no end

I think it's best not to have the "what's hot" ....good call Clancy. For one thing it made me feel like I had to go back and listen to all the songs I have already heard many times and loved, just so others would know how good they were. If we have a showcase then what makes the Radio so special and a potential for being competitive? I do think the featured recording og the week is a nice touch. Everyone is still getting to showcase (post their songs). I really enjoy listening to the collabs just to see how they grow with new additions. Is there a way to make the Radio and Showcase a combo sort of thing where you can still choose to listen to whom you like but have more choices??????? I hope that makes sense. Whatever you and Kirk decide will be fine with me. I'm just glad I have the oppotunity to be a part of such a great site!!

Clancy, what happened to the option to vote? I didn't see a way to do so.

Oops, I forgot this forum didn't allow voting on polls... it should now... that'll teach me to set things up just before I head off to bed.

I could show just show the plays and not the "What's Hot" list as Tom suggested.

Elle, it wasn't a system that allowed you to vote more than once for yourself. Each members play only counted once, so someone else must have been listening to your tune at the same time as you. You couldn't have voted more than once for yourself.

Cheers

Clancy

I think there is no need for whats hot or not, nor polls or voting.

Lets stay with post into a catagory, and feedback for those who want to leave one. No need for complications.

Hilch speaks the struth...

Elle

Umm which truth is that Elle ?

The truth that I am Hot? LMAO

I'm so vain , now thats a song LOL

Couple of thoughts.......

I think the chart is a good idea. And here's why.

It isn't a competition. It's an opportunity for a singer/songwriter - musician to see how their work is received by listeners, albeit a more or less locked in crowd here at GFB&B. ;) Of course, there are numerous sites on the net that allow just this type of feedback. But what I think is important is the feedback from this particular site is honest and among friends who will not hesitate to say, "hey that's a keeper" or "hey, that needs some work". I really don't think anyone has felt slighted by one song having more "page time" than another. Frankly, prior to the Showcase, it's been more the luck of the draw depending on how many songs have been posted on any particular day.

As well, breaking down genres is even better! It helps an artist pin-point their niche. Coupling play counts with genre is a great way for the artist to learn where their music is best received.

Not everyone is a singer/songwriter/performer. Nor does everyone have to be. If we look at the ratio of actual "performers" that consistently post their music, regardless of level of experience, it is very small compared to the total number of members. I think it's an opportunity for those in all levels of experience and who honestly want to know how they are doing, to pony-up and post. How many times have we all read where someone thought they weren't good enough to post? And we all encouraged or coerced them into posting only to find out they're pretty good at what they do! As this is a guitar learning site and learning guitar has more to it than just learning a few chords or progressions, I think having a Showcase with numbers is a good idea. It gives the author/artist indicators about their music. Face it, we're all learning and every new bit of information we get about our progress is another point for our team. Another "step" in the right direction.

Having a chart count over time is also a good indicator for the musician. In the recording section, as we all know, once that song has moved to page two, it's pretty much relegated to the delete folder. So while a song may garner a goodly number of hits in the first few hours of page time, once it gets to page two and beyond, it's history. The artist does not get a good feeling for the song and how it will fair in the long term. Having the count, even if it's only for two or three months will give the artist that much more information about how well a song has done or could do.

If I post a tune and it receives a lot of hits, as it were, then I know I did something right. You all may not explicitly tell me I did something right, but the numbers will give me an indicator. Likewise, if I post a tune that receives only a few hits, which I've done many times, I know I need to work on something. Perhaps the hook needs work. And that's OK. It's another indicator of what I'm doing as a songwriter/performer.

I think there has been some pretty darn good songs posted in the last few months by a variety of musicians in a variety of genres. And just like the radio when a song is good and starts to get more air play, more people listen. Not a thing wrong with that. And not a thing wrong with the artist/musician to know about it! But unlike radio, where you have a producer putting together a radio program of what he/she perceives as "hits", our Showcase is by the people and for the people and that's who really matters.

Those of us who can take time to listen are going to do so. I really don't think we are so biased to include or exclude listening to certain songs because of a certain number of hits. Rather, I believe that most of us who do take time to listen will listen to any and all music that is posted. Or, at the very least, listen to as much music as possible for the time available. We may not always "leave a comment" but that doesn't mean the song or work wasn't good.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. If you're a guitarist/musician, questioning yourself about whether to post a song you wrote to the Showcase because you think you or the song is not good enough; or feel you'll be over-shadowed by other players , PM me. I don't care about your experience level. I'll tell you why I think you should post your music. I'll tell you why, if you are really serious about your guitar playing and/or songwriting, posting to the public forum is a release and opens a whole new venue to work your craft. I'll give you the pro's and con's about posting your "own" work if you have never done so before (no covers). And in the interest of complete fairness, I will not listen to nor offer any thoughts about your music until after you post it, and then, only if you wish.

So for what its worth, I think the Charting Feature is a plus.

LC

LC

you make some points that have merit , but don't you think that once a chart has started there will be probably no more then 20 names on that chart ...

How will this be benificial to us beginners struth most of already think we suck . Because we are our worst critic , I would love to see a chat with Hilch on and would love to hear my songs on the raidio BUT , it aint going to happen because I am a realists , I know my playing isn't as good as it will be in 5 years and I know it has improved along way since I first started learning .

I don't like competitive things about music , music should be plane and simply enjoyed , listened to , I don't offer many criques to others work as I am not that good myself .. If I posted criques to every song I listened to it would be , " Sounds good to me " ..

But people like to know where they are going wrong and how to improve themselves , something I can't offer ..

What I can offer this forum is , I am a beginner and I want to learn and in a happy enviroment where , if I stuff up it isn't going to be the difference of being number 1 or number 101 ...

We have never had charts and I really don't see the need for them , we as listeners know who is making great music , who is trying their guts out to improve and who is just enjoying the moment ..

Please don't think I am trying to be stubborn and ignorant about this I am just putting my views forward .

Beginners are like babies they need guidence and help not pressure into chart stoppers ..

The view of a very poor guitar player but I will get better ..

Trev