Bluesyzep

My neck broke!

Bluesyzep    0

Hey guys. I just took my Washburn D10SSB out of the case and found the neck broken. I hadn't played in a couple of weeks. This was my first guitar and part of a limited run so am really upset about it. I'd grown to love it and figured I would be playing it 20 years from now. I pride myself on taking care of my equipment. You can imagine how I feel.

A D10S isn't hard to find but this one is in a sunburst pattern so am not optimistic to replace it The sentimental value I'll never replace. It a clean perpendicular break starting from the bottom two tuners and stops under the neck about an inch above the nut. Is there any hope of a repair? :crying2:

skinnybloke    4

Thats really bad news, sorry to hear that it happened.

There is hope, have a look here.

Skinny

I know how you feel, I broke mine in the same place about 25 years ago. The repair is still sound.

allthumbs    8

Can you take a pic or two to show us? What a bummer. There must have been a flaw hidden under the finish from the get go.

The break an inch above the nut doesn't give you a lot to work with. There is a thread I posted some time ago about a friend of mine who repaired a broken neck. You might want to do a search for it. It shows pics of how he repaired it. Routing out slots in the neck and headstock for glued wooden inserts might work. You may have to keep it tuned down to Eb to minimize the stress on the neck though.

Bluesyzep    0
Can you take a pic or two to show us? What a bummer. There must have been a flaw hidden under the finish from the get go.

The break an inch above the nut doesn't give you a lot to work with. There is a thread I posted some time ago about a friend of mine who repaired a broken neck. You might want to do a search for it. It shows pics of how he repaired it. Routing out slots in the neck and headstock for glued wooden inserts might work. You may have to keep it tuned down to Eb to minimize the stress on the neck though.

If a repair inhibits the performance I'd likely get another. It's a $230 guitar that I got on clearance for $130. Not a lot of money. Just a lot of sentiment.

While I kept it in the case I would lean it against the wall or truck while loading it. It fell down flat a couple of times. I'm thinking that's what did it. The side impact under string tension did it in. I had no idea they could be that fragile.:crying2:

I'll charge up the camera and get some pics. soon.

allthumbs    8

They usually aren't. In 35 years, I have had my Norman guitar knocked over more time than I can count and it doesn't seem to have effected it at all.

Bluesyzep    0

Skinny

I know how you feel, I broke mine in the same place about 25 years ago. The repair is still sound.

I was going to say "at least it wasn't a Martin".:isaynothing:

Bluesyzep    0
They usually aren't. In 35 years, I have had my Norman guitar knocked over more time than I can count and it doesn't seem to have effected it at all.

Hmmm...now I have to wonder.:dunno:

wcostley    0

Skinny

That was a great post skinny.

Skip

Rockerbob    47

Most likely it can be glued back and be structurally sound. Back in the days when I repaired guitars for a living I glued many headstocks. And yes, the inertia from falling over in the case can snap off a headstock.

daf    0

Sorry dude!

you should get a tech(guitar technisian)I really can't spell as you can see. If you haven't already got one the shoul fix it .:crying2:

daf

Peace out X

frewgosh    0

I have a Martin that had a very similar break. It broke my heart as I was convinced that such a catastrophic break could not be fixed. I took it to a local guitar doctor and he fixed it no problem. You can not see where the break was which is just astonishing. The guitar still plays like a dream. So do not despair, take it to a reputable guitar doc and your nightmare should be over Good Luck

Bluesyzep    0

To keep a long story short I opted to fix it myself. I've been at it off and on for 2 weeks now. The glue repair was excellent, the filling and re-staining came out pretty good, but the finish is kicking my ass. I've been getting orange peel and and am on my fourth attempt at sanding it out.

I've made several mistakes in the process. Nothing critical but am getting frustrated. Spraying too thick (runs) and sanding too much (bare wood) are a couple. I bought a book on guitar repair which is shedding some light but sounds like I have to spend even more time and money. I thought I was going to string it up a couple of days ago but now I'm looking at another week or more.

Before I go any further I want to take a break and get some advice from some of the more experienced members on re-finishing.:helpsmili

Finishing is probably the hardest part to conquer, what type of finish are you applying? and on what type of wood? Also remember that the enviorment can affect the outcome as much as you can.

SprayTech    0
To keep a long story short I opted to fix it myself. I've been at it off and on for 2 weeks now. The glue repair was excellent, the filling and re-staining came out pretty good, but the finish is kicking my ass. I've been getting orange peel and and am on my fourth attempt at sanding it out.

I've made several mistakes in the process. Nothing critical but am getting frustrated. Spraying too thick (runs) and sanding too much (bare wood) are a couple. I bought a book on guitar repair which is shedding some light but sounds like I have to spend even more time and money. I thought I was going to string it up a couple of days ago but now I'm looking at another week or more.

Before I go any further I want to take a break and get some advice from some of the more experienced members on re-finishing.:helpsmili

I assume your using a Spraybomb can of clear to protect the stain ?

If so , using light coats are much better then heavy coats , and letting each coat TAC up ( just barely sticky to the touch ) then another light coat . This process can take as many as 4-6 coats to achieve efficient coats of clear to sand and buff .

Using 2000 wet or dry sand paper with a touch of water to sand ever so lightly to sand smooth for rubbing out to a smooth finish .

Sounds like you are using to much pressure on the sanding , and to course of grit sandpaper cutting off to much clear ( going through to the the stain ) .

Dont rush the process , as only problems will plague you in this area .

Trying to spray the clear on slick with no peal will only create runs and sags . If you learn the right distance and amount , going in long smooth strokes , you will accomplish your project .

Hope this helps :)

Bluesyzep    0

The neck is mahogany. I'm using a gloss polyurethane. Another mistake was not using enough coats. I thought 2 or 3 would be enough and kept ending up back at the wood and re-staining. The book also says 6 coats so I'm on the right track with that. I started using 600 but see I need to move up to 1,000 or so.

SprayTech    0

Ok ,sounds like your on the right track .

I have been painting vehicles for 30 years , as this is basically the same process , just that I dont use spraycans and brushes & use Acrylic Urethanes .

I am thinking of ripping my strat apart and doing a custom paint job on it , and a custom pick guard . Just havent figured out what yet .

Bluesyzep    0

I have been painting vehicles for 30 years , as this is basically the same process , just that I dont use spraycans and brushes & use Acrylic Urethanes .

I am thinking of ripping my strat apart and doing a custom paint job on it , and a custom pick guard . Just havent figured out what yet .

LOL. Would you believe I took auto body for 2 years in high school. That was a long time ago though. I never realized how much I forgot until now. Cars are easier IMO. Never had much luck with wood myself.

SprayTech    0

I dont much like wood myself either , it doesnt bend enough for me and when you cut it to short , you have to get a new piece , with metal , if I cut it to short I can weld it back together ;):)

Good luck !

Bluesyzep    0
I dont much like wood myself either , it doesnt bend enough for me and when you cut it to short , you have to get a new piece , with metal , if I cut it to short I can weld it back together ;):)

Good luck !

Exactly!:winkthumb:

scott58    0

Man that sucks about the neck. turns my stomach to read that. If I broke mine I'd probably have to take a sick day.

I painted a few cars in my youth and sooner or later I'm going to take down a guitar and airbrush the cover of the Dark Side of the Moon album on it!

SprayTech    0

I painted a few cars in my youth and sooner or later I'm going to take down a guitar and airbrush the cover of the Dark Side of the Moon album on it!

That should be easy enough , and cool too . :) Dont forget to post pics when you do it ;)

I havent broken out my air brush in many years :o May need to !

scott58    0

Give it a go, we'll compare! :claping: I keep looking at guitar kits also, probably be alot easier to start from scratch. Guitar is one of the greatest hobbies. This and my Motorcycles and I gotta pretty good life!

SprayTech    0

I have no intentions of copying your pink floyd paint job , just was saying it looks fairly easy and straight forward to accomplish .

I too was thinking of purchasing a kit and building it , putting my paint job on it and see how fun it was , I also have 6 month old MIM HSS Strat that I dont much care for, I may blow it apart and paint it and sell it .

Have Custom painted many a harleys .