daf

Amount of Practice?(24 hours)to progress!

Amount of practice?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Amount of practice?

• not at all relax!
    • 5 mins
    • 10 mins
    • 15 mins
    • 30 mins
    • 45 mins
    • 1 hour
    • 1 hour 15 mins
    • until you fingers hurt!for a beginner
    • you can never practice too much!

Stratrat    0

Kinda hard to put an exact number on it. Everybody progresses at a different rate - one person might progress quite nicely practicing 30 minutes a day, while others may need 2 hours a day to make equivalent progress.

It also depends on HOW you practice. A person who just noodles on their guitar for a couple hours a day and doesn't really push themselves to improve and/or learn new things will probably progress much more slowly than somebody who has a focused practice routine.

Aunt Doty    0

I ususally try to practice for about an hour and spend at least 3/4 of that time on my weak points or something new I'm trying to learn The rest on just playing what I like. I don't always do this, but find when I do that I can really see progress in my playing!.

starsailor    20

It is difficult to put an exact time for practice, the important thing is that you enjoy it, my practice consists of a couple of songs, practising a couple of new chords and some improvisation, if your on a roll you could end up playing for ages but not every day is the same, it is important that a beginner doesn't push themselves too hard that can make them frustrated and is probably a major cause of people quitting, as every person is an individual it is best to go with what you're comfortable with time wise, as Stratrat says if a person just noodles about when they practice they will make slow progress, it is best to set yourself realistic goals and always feel you've gained something from practising, this won't always happen as everybody has bad days but if you take small steps more often than not it will, always have fun playing but always try to improve, music doesn't always lend itself to regimes so go with the flow.

allthumbs    8

You need to practice at least 30 minutes a day, even if it is in 5 minute segments, to retain your calluses and basic skills. The max is up to your passion for playing.

jon_stggt    0

I guess it comes down to what level you want to play at.

In the early days of the big name players today it's often told of 12 hours plus per day.

Common practice from what I can gather is in the region of 5 hours per day. I work on getting 3 hours per day at the moment but am pushing to 5 as soon as I can fit it in.

If you just want to play guitar then I'm sure an hour per day would be cool.

If you have the desire to be a "great player", then kiss goodbye to the clock and just play play play.

This of course is only my opinion.

scotty_b    16

Your practice time should reflect what you want to achieve as a player. If you want to be able to strum a few chords you can get away with minimal effort and time, if you wish to play more technically and musically demanding styles you will need to allocate time accordingly.

Determing what will occur in your practice schedule is also essential to achieve growth. Many people stumble through 'practising', essentially playing the same things over and over. Intelligent planning in regard to your goals will help in this regard.

daf    0
What is this "practice" of which you speak?

:P

well by practice i mean just playing really :smilinguitar:

i would like to say yesterday

i was shattered and played for about 45 mins to an hour

but ive already played for two hours today because I've made a breakthrough and im working on a song with my sister gonna post it on here soon:smilinguitar:

thanks

daf

Peace out X

daf    0
Great one DOOOOOOOOOD!! As long as your having fun keep playing. Can't wait to hear the song :smilinguitar::winkthumb:

thanks dude haha

I wouldn't get your hopes up to high though 'cos it is a pretty simple riff :guitardude:

long wway from a classic

thanks again

daf Peace OUt X

jayprimm    0

The most important thing for me was to establish a steady pace that I could sustain long term. My routine for the last six months has settled down to 1-2 hours per day. Improvement comes in time; you just have be patient - very patient in my case.

scott58    0

I'm usually on it 2 to 3 hours a day. Sometimes just playing what I already know, but most of the time learning new stuff.

jon_stggt    0
The most important thing for me was to establish a steady pace that I could sustain long term. My routine for the last six months has settled down to 1-2 hours per day. Improvement comes in time; you just have be patient - very patient in my case.

I can so relate to the being patient comment. Improvement certainly is in such small steps we (certainly me) often think it never happens, but it does.

I've been playing for a little over 4 months and I've been practicing too much...sometimes 3 or 4 hours a day...and longer than that the past two days. As a result, I'm forced to take a couple of days off to rest the wrist of my fretting hand.

So be careful of over doing it, or you'll end up looking at your guitar and wishing you could play it.

jimmyzowens    2

have a couple of glasses of wine and see how much jammin you can do . i like to practice scales and chords with alot of self expression involved no rules just me runnin up and down the fret board like a trucker on a three day bender :dunno:

So be careful of over doing it, or you'll end up looking at your guitar and wishing you could play it.

Good advise GeetarGal101, sure is easy to over do it in the beginning.