justinthyme

Sixth string misbehaviour etc

justinthyme    3

Hi UGB and others

I followed the advice given in UGB's 'buzzzz!...' thread (thanks for posting it) re checking if the truss rod needed adjustment using capo, business cards etc ... it doesn't. However, the sixth string buzzes at every single fret. Rattles might be a better term for it ... its very frustrating. None of the other strings buzz anywhere at all. Any idea what can be causing this, or what the fix might be? Or is it quite normal to do that?

The guitar is a PRS Santana SE. Strings are fairly new - but it doesn't seem to matter at which stage of the string's lifecycle they are at - still get the buzz.

Other symptoms (no idea whether or not they're related, so I thought I'd mention them, anyway) are - guitar goes out of tune sharp sometimes and I experience difficulty getting it into tune in the first place. Graphite in the slots on the nut hasn't helped. The tuner is a Boss TU15 - good quality - but often the needle will not stay still over the 0 marker, but jumps back and forth without settling.

Thanks for any input.

bone1205    0
Hi UGB and others

I followed the advice given in UGB's 'buzzzz!...' thread (thanks for posting it) re checking if the truss rod needed adjustment using capo, business cards etc ... it doesn't. However, the sixth string buzzes at every single fret. Rattles might be a better term for it ... its very frustrating. None of the other strings buzz anywhere at all. Any idea what can be causing this, or what the fix might be? Or is it quite normal to do that?

The guitar is a PRS Santana SE. Strings are fairly new - but it doesn't seem to matter at which stage of the string's lifecycle they are at - still get the buzz.

Other symptoms (no idea whether or not they're related, so I thought I'd mention them, anyway) are - guitar goes out of tune sharp sometimes and I experience difficulty getting it into tune in the first place. Graphite in the slots on the nut hasn't helped. The tuner is a Boss TU15 - good quality - but often the needle will not stay still over the 0 marker, but jumps back and forth without settling.

Thanks for any input.

Nice gear... drooling... how much did itcost you? I think that around $12000 ayt?

justinthyme    3

Thanks, bone - the guitar was around NZ$1600 4 or so years ago, and the tuner NZ$450. Nothing special, but if you're offering US$12k, who am I to turn it down? ;):eek: Heck, I'm feeling generous, so I'll even throw the tuner in!

Now - will that be cash or credit, Sir?

Seriously, though - if it was that kind of expensive and had this problem, I'd be a bit miffed! :D

justinthyme    3

AT - the upsetting thing is I took it to a luthier in NZ about a year ago. He charged a fortune, but didn't fix the problem. Trouble was I was just leaving the country and had no opportunity to take it back. bad timing, I guess ...

allthumbs    8
AT - the upsetting thing is I took it to a luthier in NZ about a year ago. He charged a fortune, but didn't fix the problem. Trouble was I was just leaving the country and had no opportunity to take it back. bad timing, I guess ...

Well that would burn me too. Did he tell you what he thought the problem was? Post for UGB to take a look at it. Take a pic of the bridge and nut. Sounds like that luther ripped you off. There is no way you should have spend a lot just to get rid of string buzz.

Man, I really hate that tailstop/bridge system; it REALLY restricts what one can do to make adjustments.

Either the nut is cut too deep or that end of the tailstop/bridge unit is a smidge too low. I'd back the tension off the strings, back that height adjustment screw up just a hair, and tune her back up. If it still buzzes then I'd do it again. If you keep doing it and by the time the buzz stops your action is too high then it's the nut.

To take a stab at adjusting the nut yourself, remove the string, aquire the smallest amount of Super Glue you can on the end of a toothpick and carefully work the Super Glue into the nut slot attempting to just raise the bottom surface of it a tad. Let it dry thoroughly then string her up and see what you have. If too much glue was applied you can file it down, carefully, to the right height.

The other question is, does the buzz translate through the amp? If not, I wouldn't touch a thing. All my electrics buzz because I crave the lowest action possible but the buzz doesn't come through the amp.

justinthyme    3

Thanks for the response, UGB ... by 'height adjustment screw' I take it you are referring to the screw to the left of the bridge - that looks like it can be adjusted by using a coin?

As to the amp ... I just tried that (I do a lot of my practice without using it) and no - it doesn't really come through. I can still hear the rattling myself, of course - but I don't think it comes through the speaker. I should just leave it then?