JessThrasher

Do you cut your strings?

By cut your strings, I mean by after you put new strings on and tune them, do you cut the dangling end off?

I personally prefer to leave my strings dangling untill recently my instructor cut my strings for me. I just love the look and sound the dangling strings make. (because I didn't listen when he told me to cut them)

back when I used to smoke, I'd leave them long as a cigarette holder. I'd take a pen or something and zip it along the dangly ends to curl them up. But now I cut them off. Hmmmm. My hair used to be long to but now it's short. Maybe there's a pattern. ;)

My guitar teacher made me curl up the dangly strings so they don't scratch anyone. But he just couldn't take it no more and snipped them off with a pair of pliers.

I cut for saftey reasons but its not right that your teacher cut your strings without your permission.

I'd say he owes you an new set of strings

I used to do the circles when I was younger and could not afford to replace broken strings. If they broke at the bridge (usual) I would tie a new ball end on it and unwind a bit of the extra string. Now I can afford strings so I cut them.

I cut for saftey reasons but its not right that your teacher cut your strings without your permission.

I'd say he owes you an new set of strings

Yes 6string is right better to cut them for safety and tidiness but it's your choice, your teacher had no right to cut them without your permission, he was well out of order.

Cut mine. I have very long hair, when I'm restringing before I've trimmed them I always seem to get the long bits stuck in my hair...not a good look!

Me + all the other metal players out there never had a problem with that. I don't really see how dangly strings can detune. Is it cuz they swing around and cause the string to start unwinding?

I cut mine also.

I tried the circle thing a couple times, didn't really care for it and it was a pain in the neck getting all of the circles to look right.

I also don't like the look of uncut strings... Not to mention those pointy things are dangerous, you could puncture a lung. :weirdeyes:

-tkr

I sort of agree with a few of the others. If he just reached out & snipped them without asking, he was out of line.

However, if your lesson is in the typical small room with just the two of you, it could get a bit dangerous in there!. He still needs to ask.

Personally, I've been trimming mine for years. Some of the stages we played on while I was a working musician would have made it very dangerous for the other players in the band. Plus, I think it looks rather tacky. I've never seen anyone on stage with the strings just hanging out completely untrimmed.

Maybe an inch or so but never the excess of the complete remainder. Plus, I would think that most of the major performers out on tour nowadays have spare guitars in the wings being worked on by guitar techs that are with the crew on a full time basis.

Imagine somebody like Herman Li, or Santana, or Zack Wylde busting a string, handing the guitar to his tech and getting jabbed in the hand or worse , in the eye, while he's exchanging the guitars.:oop:

Don't see THAT happening. Keep 'em trimmed!

Just my opinion and observations.

I'm super conservative, so my strings are not only cut but also neatly wound around the tuners. Maybe doesn't sound any better but lets anyone know I care about the instruments.

Maybe the guitarists who can't decide could refer back to the manufacturers. If Gibson or Fender or anyone else sells their products with uncut strings, then you could follow suit. Can't remember seeing any though ...

It would seem then that the reason you don't cut your strings is to create an image, to set yourself apart from the old folk like me who play nursery rhymes for their grandkids. I think you should continue with your image of uncut strings and whatever else you feel gives you the distance from the conservatives. I seem to recall the Beatles used a similar trick with abnormal hairstyles to set themselves apart from the rest. Damned good marketing exercise it was too!

Don't get too upset with you teacher who cut your strings ... he didn't take away your image - just modified a tool which will be upgraded with new strings soon anyway. Keep them tidy in his lessons so he can concentrate on his purpose. When you are on stage, let them hang free. You are discovering the essence of the modern entertainment industry, and no-one here is going to cramp your style. When you are rich and famous, and I'm still playing nursery rhymes for my grandkids, I'm going to be able to say that I once shared a forum with you.

Take care and follow your dreams.