Clancy

MySpace and the way it works.

I have to agree with Krissovo's idea too. Looks like the risk of ending up with a "click" can be avoided with an idea like that.

Personally, I can't stand "clicks" and I also agree with YouToo that since this is meant to be a user friendly forum here that promotes a welcoming atmosphere with tolerance of people from all types of backgrounds, cultures, and diversity, any potential for "an exclusive members only" type format should be organised with due care.

Furthermore, I'm confident that it would be!:winkthumb:

Interesting to hear all your views. I think beefing up the profile page with questions like Kris mentioned is a great idea... but I still think a way to browse from profile to profile shouldn't be completely discounted. We can just maybe find a better way around it than using the same "friends" system that myspace uses... I'm very glad to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks that kind of thing is pretty lame... thought I was just getting old in my thinking.

Clancy

I'm glad Witchy Woman was brave enough to speak out. I waited a while to post as that was how I was feeling. If no one accepted you as a friend that'd be a real downer!!!!!!!!!!! I like the idea of fleshing out the profile page though! Thanks Clancy for all y our hard work on improving the site!

Building onto the profile idea, I've just added a new feature to the profiles... it's called clickable profile links... the way it works is that now most of your profile fields have become clickable links, for example: your interests, location, occupation and how long you have been playing are all clickable. When you click on say for example someones location "Iowa" you will be taken to a page that shows all members that are from Iowa... another example is if your occupation is a carpenter, then you can click on the link that shows on your (or anyone elses) profile page that names carpenter as their occupation and you will see all the members that are carpenters... it's a pretty neat system and I think it's a good way to get to know members that have things in common.

Just a note, putting commas in between words in your profile fields is the best way to make this work well.

Also, I'll start a new thread for ideas on extra profile fields. Kris named some good ones here, but I'm sure others have some ideas as well... the clickable profile links can be implemented for all profile fields, so it should work well I think.

Clancy

Congratulations WitchyWoman, good posts as well.

On the subject of the my space question, the number of people posting on a regular basis is small compared to the number of people that are browsing so the aim is always to encourage people to post, this site is very friendly and people always get a big response when they introduce themselves which encourages them to post again, if it became too personal it does risk appearing clicky which would intimidate people a bit. Krissovo has come up with a great idea to expand the profile with general questions, (bit worried about the tell us something about yourself we don't know) that could be fun.

There is a box on the CP for adding a friend and an ignore option (never like that idea). Couldn't the friend option be expanded to link to the members recordings, ie linked to the members recordings forum then showing all that friends music or is that too awkward (I am no expert on programming just floating an idea along the same lines as other suggestions).

The post a pic idea went well Clancy and I think we all appreciate your work in expanding and evolving the site.

Congratulations WitchyWoman, good posts as well.

On the subject of the my space question, the number of people posting on a regular basis is small compared to the number of people that are browsing so the aim is always to encourage people to post, this site is very friendly and people always get a big response when they introduce themselves which encourages them to post again, if it became too personal it does risk appearing clicky which would intimidate people a bit. Krissovo has come up with a great idea to expand the profile with general questions, (bit worried about the tell us something about yourself we don't know) that could be fun.

There is a box on the CP for adding a friend and an ignore option (never like that idea). Couldn't the friend option be expanded to link to the members recordings, ie linked to the members recordings forum then showing all that friends music or is that too awkward (I am no expert on programming just floating an idea along the same lines as other suggestions).

The post a pic idea went well Clancy and I think we all appreciate your work in expanding and evolving the site.

I don't really agree that having the friends thing in profile pages would put new members off posting. Most people don't even go look at profile pages, they read through threads and make their judgments there as to whether the forum is "clicky" or not... I do think that there might be problems with the accepting or denying friends... and that's why I don't like the "friends" idea. In a way, you feel obliged to add someone or risk making them feel bad if you deny them.

You're right starsailor, there is already a built in buddy system (ignore system) here, but it is private and it only shows the person who added the buddy when their buddy is online... it's actually a pretty good feature.

Couldn't the friend option be expanded to link to the members recordings, ie linked to the members recordings forum then showing all that friends music or is that too awkward (I am no expert on programming just floating an idea along the same lines as other suggestions).

Actually you just gave me idea starsailor. I'll look into it. I might be able to work something into our new recordings part of the forum that could work quite well. Thanks!

Clancy

Can I like Myspace and still agree with you Clancy? :claping:

Too much crap at myspace, and I'm not sure the "friends" concept works here, for the above mentioned reasons... and one more. Maybe a "Hall of Hero's" that you could select that would be the focus of the reciprocal linking concept.

I.E. you goto my profile and you see thumbs linking to folks from there that I added as my "Hero's" and you could click the thumb to visit their profile. No permissions needed... Maybe even a "ranking" system to see who was the most "appreciated" guitarist (second of course, as Kirk would take the lead early in the race I'm sure).

Anyway... I read the thread, like the Idea of "personalizing" my profile with some background... love the reciprocal linking concept, just not quite like MySpace is applying it. But then after starting the post I was called off to dinner and now I find I am meandering... perhaps there is something useful in the post, if not... eh, bill me.

I don't really agree that having the friends thing in profile pages would put new members off posting. Most people don't even go look at profile pages, they read through threads and make their judgments there as to whether the forum is "clicky" or not... I do think that there might be problems with the accepting or denying friends... and that's why I don't like the "friends" idea. In a way, you feel obliged to add someone or risk making them feel bad if you deny them.

You're right starsailor, there is already a built in buddy system (ignore system) here, but it is private and it only shows the person who added the buddy when their buddy is online... it's actually a pretty good feature.

Actually you just gave me idea starsailor. I'll look into it. I might be able to work something into our new recordings part of the forum that could work quite well. Thanks!

Clancy

Hi Clancy, I see what you mean about the profiles and thanks for clarifying the buddy system, hope the idea works, glad I could help.:winkthumb:

My band has a myspace page and to be honest. It may have turned up about 12 gigs for us. But the down side is you actually have to sort through your messages so far the norm is around 650 spam messages and 2 that really were something. The biggest problem I see with myspace is that it's like a huge contest to see who has the highest number of friends which in turn means you'll have everybody and their brother's cousin's sister's dog trying to get you as a "friend on their page. It's pretty much a number game. And Mr. Seger said it best when he sang "I'm not a number"

Clancy, Is there a way to find a member quickly say to PM a message without having to look through pages of the member list? If not ( there may already be and I just haven't discovered it) I think it would be great to just be able to type their site name in and go straight to their profile to send them a message or learn more about them!

Clancy, Is there a way to find a member quickly say to PM a message without having to look through pages of the member list? If not ( there may already be and I just haven't discovered it) I think it would be great to just be able to type their site name in and go straight to their profile to send them a message or learn more about them!

Doty, you can just click on a members name in any post and it will offer you options for that and more.

You can go to the 'members list' page and from there you will see an option in the top right-hand corner saying 'search members' where you type in a user's name to easily find their profile.