Clancy

MySpace and the way it works.

I've never been a fan of myspace - for a few reasons, but I won't get into another rave about it here... but I do think that social networking is a good idea and would like to build that into our forum.

So, my question is... do you like the friends aspect of a myspace like site... for example, the adding of friends to each others profile (really just reciprocal linking) or do you think a better way would be just to be able to link to other members pages that you liked rather than having to approve of each other as friends. Hope that makes sense.

Also, what else do you think would be good to add onto our profile pages. I am going to be adding a comments section (that can be edited by the member). What else would you like to see? Our profile pages as they are, are pretty damn boring and it'd be great to beef them up a bit.

So any ideas?

Clancy

I don't have MySpace and don't visit them. Not enough time in the day. Too much junk to wade through.

I don't blame you Marty. Patterned backgrounds, flashing graphics, unstructured pages and music loading automatically is enough to give anyone a headache... but I'm more looking for suggestions on what could be added onto our profile pages here to make our site more interactive and interesting.

Clancy

loading automatically is enough to give anyone a headache...

Clancy

the midi music drives me nuts.

What about the way youtube is set up, you can befriend someone

which gives access to designated videos in the friend group, or

if the videos are for all to see and you like a particular one you can just 'favour' it without asking permission, or subscribed to the whole thing.

the midi music drives me nuts.

What about the way youtube is set up, you can befriend someone

which gives access to designated videos in the friend group, or

if the videos are for all to see and you like a particular one you can just 'favour' it without asking permission, or subscribed to the whole thing.

Hmm, tricky... I don't know if I could set that up... I have another part to the forum that I'm working on at the moment which will link in with the profile and show all uploaded music of that member, but I'm not sure how to set it up so that if a member adds new music the friend would be notified... but it's a great idea.

Clancy

but I'm not sure how to set it up so that if a member adds new music the friend would be notified... but it's a great idea.

Clancy

I probably don't know what I'm talking about (okay I definitely don't know), how about the profile links to a thread that has all the persons music in it and the friend just subscribes to the thread (without posting). The particular thread is restricted, only the owner can post music links in it.?? :tomato:

I have my space , ok its only so my friends can keep up with whats going on with my guitar playing . The problem is I get some very weird messages from people I don't know and people asking to be my friend that I have never seen or met through forums .

Currently on my space there is Elle singing "Shes' a Chimp " and 2 guys and me playing some rock and roll from another forum , Kenny I always forget his user name here X4 something I think { sorry Kenny} ,Elle singing "Kiss Me". I had Eddie singing Everbody Lies on there . I only put songs on there that

A. I wrote

B. I played on

C. I sang on { thats scarey }

As for friends they are all people I have converse with on a regular basis , even my son wanted me to add him so I did . I am hopeing he will let me record him playing soon , I heard him playing "Your Beautiful " by James Blunt last night and it was beautiful I must say ..

My space is what you want it to be in my opinion , I can add a song there send a quick email to a friend and they just open my space up and see how my song writting is going or my playing for that matter , I try not to sing as I don't want to damage peoples hearing ..

What would be very kool Clancy {No E } :) I think would be if you could put a face to a name avatars are great but its like talking to a monkey if thats they avatar they have { pun intended }is a monkey also if I was to click say on your profile Clancy , it would be nice to hear your playing / singing or something { hope you get my meaning } ..

Just my demented thoughts

Trev

Trev

Well the friends you would add here would only be members of this forum hilch... it wouldn't be as open as myspace... I was just using myspace as an example of social networking and how their friends system worked.

Clancy

I realise that Clancy , but just wanted to point out that the friends aspect of my space is very flawed .

Would there be away of personalising { hope I spelt that one right}

Each members page ? Like a member could add their own theme maybe when one clicks on their profile . Just throwing up " IDEAS "

Trev .

I realise that Clancy , but just wanted to point out that the friends aspect of my space is very flawed .

Would there be away of personalising { hope I spelt that one right}

Each members page ? Like a member could add their own theme maybe when one clicks on their profile . Just throwing up " IDEAS "

Trev .

Yeah, I agree it is flawed, that's why I have my reservations about introducing it here using the same way of doing things... we can have it so that a member (for example me) wants to add say Rockerbob or Hilch or Lcjones or anyone to my profile page as members I would like to link to... but it doesn't send them anything so that they have to add me to their profile... it just says that I like their music or I think it's worth checking out their profile because I think they're cool :D - The friends thing only works (as far as I know) when you accept them as your friend too... I've always seen this as a little lame and open for spammers and self-promoters.

Do you mean theme as is background image hilch?

Clancy

Clancy,

I have my space, but really do not know how to use it well. Besides,

my interest is mainly in the guitar spectrum and people who can relate to the subject or music. It would be nice not to have to link to another site.

Yes Clancy , I don't know if that would be possible but I do think it would be nice though . I know this is a music site and all but like that song goes ..

Its the little things

The little things

To me they mean alot

Ahh thats all I know , If you clicked on my profile and say I had a view from my mates place over looking the pacific ocean out to Great Keppel Island , and you hear lil ol Hilch picking some poor guitar ..Just a thought

Trev

Yes Clancy , I don't know if that would be possible but I do think it would be nice though . I know this is a music site and all but like that song goes ..

Its the little things

The little things

To me they mean alot

Ahh thats all I know , If you clicked on my profile and say I had a view from my mates place over looking the pacific ocean out to Great Keppel Island , and you hear lil ol Hilch picking some poor guitar ..Just a thought

Trev

We can add a photo gallery with more photos of each member showing up on their profile page, but the photo background images (that repeat as a background image) really make the text on a page hard to read and anything else on the page hard to see... that's one of the things about myspace that I really don't like... I know a lot of people like it... but to me it takes away from getting what's important across to the viewer. The content.

Clancy

I see said the blind man

Now that we are singing from the same hymn book I'll take some more medication then have a sleep , then re-visit my thinking on this subject ..

I agree with you on the text opon a image I just had another look at My Space page and it is a tad hard to read , Good point Clancy ..

Take care

Trev

Spammer!!!!

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

pam spam spam spam spam spam spam

am spam spam spam spam spam spam

m spam spam spam spam spam spam

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

pam spam spam spam spam spam spam

am spam spam spam spam spam spam

m spam spam spam spam spam spam

we can have it so that a member (for example me) wants to add say Rockerbob or Hilch or Lcjones or anyone to my profile page as members I would like to link to... but it doesn't send them anything so that they have to add me to their profile... it just says that I like their music or I think it's worth checking out their profile because I think they're cool :D -

I can just see it now.....everyones profile page listing the same 1 or 2 dozen really greats, profile after profile...lol-IMO.{NO OFFENCE INTENDED}:)

how about something along the line of a link to a favorite tune by a member you like. maybe a favorite quote by a member other than ourselves.

Back to the above quote, maybe a top 10 or 5 favorite recordings list/w-links, with the ability to up-date as wanted?

just throwing in my 1 cents worth.

Edit...I suddenly feel like I'm under a ton of spam...Help!!!

I can just see it now.....everyones profile page listing the same 1 or 2 dozen really greats, profile after profile...lol-IMO.{NO OFFENCE INTENDED}:)

In that case, do you think the reciprocal friends linking would be better Kenny?

how about something along the line of a link to a favorite tune by a member you like.

That could be something that was added as an extra option.

Clancy

I probably don't know what I'm talking about (okay I definitely don't know), how about the profile links to a thread that has all the persons music in it and the friend just subscribes to the thread (without posting). The particular thread is restricted, only the owner can post music links in it.?? :tomato:

Not a bad idea 6string. I'm just not sure how to set that up with the system I am working on at the moment. The separate thread for members would be a bit of a nightmare to set up under the default forum software... but the idea is great, just not sure how I can work it.

Clancy

A little extended profile should do, with the music posted by the member, a little more about him, a photo eventually, and perhaps some text he chooses? :

Just a thought. :)

In that case, do you think the reciprocal friends linking would be better Kenny?

Not personally Clancy, I'm kinda with WitchyWoman on the whole "these are MY friends" kinda feeling, just my opinion. I don't care much for my space btw either. Sound click has that "add a friend" thing also, and like you mentioned...I think its pretty lame.

Good point about forming little groups and newer members finding themselves on the outter so to say ...

I know I am closer to some members than others but thats just through pm's and and certain likes in music / song writting .

So maybe we already do have little groups of members that are all behind the eyes of others ?

I know I give alot of cheek in the forums but its only fun and the people I give a little cheek to I know , and they know its meant as humour and nothing else . Such as hip high waders I have no idea where that cam from , { thanks Elle } :):)

Maybe alot more open discussion needs to take place and lets not rush into something that might cause damage to the happy enviroment that is GFBAB , who says learning can't be fun , I know when I am finding something hard to do and post a question on ,

How to ........ its always good to see someone else type back and tell a little funny story that happened to them while they were learning the very same thing .

Lets just be careful on what we do

The rugby team I support has a "meet the family" section where members can opt to complete a small series of questions about themselves based loosely around rugby and their favorite hobies etc. This might be a nice thing to have, no clicks and also its a bit of fun. The head of the page is a photo of them (silly or serious, could even be with their gear)

The questions are or could be:

Real Name

Occupation

Favourite: Movie(s)

TV Programme(s)

Book(s)

Music

Radio Station(s)

Food(s)

Drinks(s)

Place(s) to visit

How long playing guitar

Best experience relating to playing

How did you start playing

Favorite guitar playing tip

What are your non playing pastimes

Most likely to say?

Least likely to say?

Tell us something about you we don't know.