- - - - -

Funky chords

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   felixdcat

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 03-March 07

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:39 AM

What chords should I use for a funky feel? I tried dominant 7ths, but they leave a bluesy feeling more. I tried to add 9ths too, nothing... Should I break out of key here and there, eh? :) Any help is appreciated.

#2 OFFLINE   Hopalong

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23-May 07

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hi all you string ticklers. My nephew gave me his old elect. axe for my b-day and I really want to learn chords and whatever else this 50 y.o. brain can soak in. If you have a little patience to teach an old dog new tricks, I'll try my best! Thank you, Hopalong.

#3 OFFLINE   felixdcat

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 03-March 07

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

I know funk is about rhythm. But, still, are there some chords which I can solo over to crate a funky feeling? Because, I tried 6th, 9ths... I always end up bluesy, guess because of the order I play them. So, if any of you have a tip for some funky music, please help.

#4 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

9ths, 13ths, b7s. Treblie stuff on the top 4 strings that concentates on strong rhythm. It relies on the bass to give it the drive. The chords are almost fills for the bass line. As James Brown said" It has got to have The One- Ughhh." So you have to make the one beat pop. It is a hard genre to do well. Complex rhythms and a strong feel.

#5 OFFLINE   AX7221

• Active Members
  • 253 posts
  • Joined 03-June 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

hopalong said:

Hi all you string ticklers. My nephew gave me his old elect. axe for my b-day and I really want to learn chords and whatever else this 50 y.o. brain can soak in. If you have a little patience to teach an old dog new tricks, I'll try my best! Thank you, Hopalong.

This link has a nice overview. After you read each page there's a link at the bottom that brings you to the next page (also on the left side are links to other pages that aren't directly before or after). That should give a good basis to work with.

Also the way the forum works is there is the "forum home" then there are different sections. Someone will create a "thread" which will be a topic. Then everyone who posts replies in that thread will be about the topic. That's not always the case in that sometimes the thread will change direction and have a different topic, but mostly each thread is a topic. It sounds like your getting started so it would be hard to ask a specific question, but if a question is too vauge you won't get very many responses
If you learn how to play songs, then you learn songs. If you learn how to improvise, then you learn music.

#6 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

I really don't think the chords matter too much. Funk seems to be in pelvis driven rhythm.

#7 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

James Brown used to penalize Bootsy Collins 10 bucks each time he missed The One, when Bootsy played in his band.

#8 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

Rockerbob said:

I really don't think the chords matter too much. Funk seems to be in pelvis driven rhythm.
Do you have any video to back up this statement;)
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#9 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

mattz196 said:

Do you have any video to back up this statement;)

No one wants to see that!

#10 OFFLINE   lukegilmour

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 27-May 07

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

i happen to have the same problem
im imbued with blues and classic rock and i cant seem to get other tones such as reggae and funk....

any ideas?

#11 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

Funk primarily uses dominant 7th or minor harmonies. The rhythm is the essential thing - and how the guitar sits with the groove. A strong 16th note feel is the classic funk groove, but sometimes it is far simpler. Jimmy Nolan on 'I Feel Good' simply played a 9th chord after the horn riff. It was just a stab, then cut off. Nothing simpler than that. In my opinion, the bass is really the primary instrument in funk - the drums can play very simple straight rock, the guitar can play very simple grooves, yet the bass seems to be what everything hangs off.
Why not post some examples of your funk playing so we can hear what you are doing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users