Tekker

New Lesson - Reaper

Hi all,

Now that I'm finally out of school for summer break (WOOT! :yeahhh:) .... It's time for a new lesson.

Reaper Tutorial

This one is similar to my previous Kristal Audio tutorial, but it's been tweaked for Reaper.

This includes basic setup such as installation of VST effects, setting up ASIO drivers, and how to use the VST monitoring to turn Reaper into a guitar effects processor!

Enjoy. :)

-tkr

Great lesson Tekker, I have Audacity, Kristal and Reaper installed and I am trying to sort out how to use them. It looks like Reaper does have some advantages. Thanks:claping:

Cool. I just uploaded Reaper but, the learning curve is brutal.

Really, you think so? I think Reaper has one of the easiest learning curves out of most of the programs I have played around with. I even think it's easier to use than Audacity personally. I had the basics in Reaper pretty well figured out within a few minutes as everything is easy to find... Yet in the time I spent fiddling with Audacity, couldn't figured out how to record into an existing track (it doesn't have an arm button for recording :dunno:) and it always created a new track when recording. Maybe that's what it's always supposed to do?

Reaper does a lot of stuff, but for just simply recording it is really straight forward.

If I could find a decent screen recorder program (a free one), I could do a video from start to finish creating a new project and recoding a track or two. I've been looking for one but everything I've tried bogs my computer down so the mouse jerks when it moves and won't allow me to do much of anything. :(

-tkr

You gotta remember that I'm dyslexic. Everything has a steep learnin curve for me LOL.

OK, I see.

I'm still trying to find some screen capture software, if you or anyone else know of any good ones. I'd be nice to be able to do video demonstrations going through the setup process. I'd also like to be able to make some videos on some more advanced recording stuff also (like editing).

-tkr

OK, I see.

I'm still trying to find some screen capture software, if you or anyone else know of any good ones. I'd be nice to be able to do video demonstrations going through the setup process. I'd also like to be able to make some videos on some more advanced recording stuff also (like editing).

-tkr

Tekker,

It's not free, in fact it's expensive, but you can download and use Adobe Captivate free for 30 days... it turns your demonstrations into Flash files... I use it in this thread to show members how to turn notification emails off here on the forum... it's very very neat and pretty easy to work.

Clancy

It's not free, in fact it's expensive, but you can download and use Adobe Captivate free for 30 days... it turns your demonstrations into Flash files...

Yikes, $600? :scared:

I'd like to find something I can keep using, either free or very very VERY cheap. ;) I don't really want to have to keep searching for new programs (or reinstalling windows to use the same one again) each time I want to make a video.

I also want to record them in AVI format so I can do some editing and add text to the videos.

-tkr

Yikes, $600? :scared:

I'd like to find something I can keep using, either free or very very VERY cheap. ;) I don't really want to have to keep searching for new programs (or reinstalling windows to use the same one again) each time I want to make a video.

I also want to record them in AVI format so I can do some editing and add text to the videos.

-tkr

Camtasia Studio Screen Recorder for Demos, Presentations and Training

There are some free ones out there and some that are pretty cheap as well. I looked into it all a while back but didn't find anything I thought was all that great. Let me know if you find something good... I loved Captivate and even considered buying it. It really is so far above and beyond anything else I have seen out there. You can edit right in the software itself. It really is great, still it's adobe, so that's not surprising.

Clancy

Check out Wink. With the new version you can also add voice narration to it, tho I have not tried that out yet. I have played around with it of and on since version 1, and I think it does a pretty good job.

Did I mention that it was FREE!:claping::cool:

Check out Wink. With the new version you can also add voice narration to it, tho I have not tried that out yet. I have played around with it of and on since version 1, and I think it does a pretty good job.

Did I mention that it was FREE!:claping::cool:

Sweet, I'll check it out!

There are flash vids here. Wikpedia does a pretty good job of explaining it.

Cool, I didn't know those were on the Wiki.... I saw a few of those on the Reaper forums a while back on the Reaper forum. He did a good job on those.

The video on effects is really good.... So there IS a way to better organize the plugins. Maybe I'll just link to this video for this part, better than trying to type it all out. ;)

Tutorial 4 - Track FX Chain - CockosWiki

Now if Tekker could translate the vids from audio tech speak into English, I might know what was going on after the first vid or so.

LOL! I guess babelfish needs to add a tech speak translator. ;)

What parts do you want translated? :D

-tkr

Pretty much everything after tutorial 4 :D:blink::blush:

All the tutorials after tutorial 4 are on Reaper's internal effects and some special case editing. The first 4 tutorials are more general about how to setup Reaper and record with it. Unless you want to dive into Reaper's effects, you can stop at Tutorial 4.

To start out, I recommend using VST plugins in Reaper first as they are much, much more user friendly. The Kjaerhus Audio plugins are very easy to use and sound great as well. :winkthumb:

-tkr

I really don't use many effects Tekker. I prefer as little between my guitar and amp as possible. I thought the stuff after vid 4 was more mixing stuff. Glad I don't have to wade through it. Thanks.

I really don't use many effects Tekker. I prefer as little between my guitar and amp as possible.

You can still add effects after the amp too (after recording). A little delay, reverb, or chorus, etc can go a long way. :)

I thought the stuff after vid 4 was more mixing stuff. Glad I don't have to wade through it. Thanks.

In a way it kind of sort of is (as all effects can be used for mixing), but his lessons are specifically about using Reaper's effects.

For instance Tutorial 5 is about side-chaining, which allows you to use one track to trigger the compressor on another track.... In other words, the bass drum track can cause the compressor to "compress" the bass track. For example, you could set it up so that every time the bass drum hits, the bass guitar gets turned down just during duration of the kick drum, then it is turned back up again. In doing this you would be able to better hear the bass drum over the bass guitar.

While side-chaining is a general technique that can be done with all kinds of gear (analog or digital), he only describes how to do this with Reaper's effects. So unless you intent to use Reaper's effects for this purpose, the lesson is probably not going to be all that useful. ;)

-tkr