- - - - -

Buzzz! strings too low? Too high? READ THIS!!

107 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Best to start with a bit of troubleshooting, I'm no tech bugg0292 but there's only a certain amount of things it can be, Is your guitar acoustic or electric Bugg0292? if it's acoustic is it nylon or steel strung? does it have a truss rod? what condition are the frets in? Is the neck straight? Is the fretboard level, whats the action like ie how far away from the fretboard are the strings, how old is the guitar.
Not too sure I can help you much but if you can answer a few of these it will give a better idea of what's going on and the techs. should be able to help.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#102 OFFLINE   bugg0292

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 05-January 09

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

I have a strat imitator and it is brand new as far as i know.
the frets are a little dinged up in a couple spots but not in the problem areas.
the action is low i can still fit a business card under it though.
I have tried switching string guages (from reg to x-lite)
and that did nothing.

#103 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

Sorry to keep asking questions Bugg0292 but is the buzz on all the strings above the 12th or is it just one or two that are buzzing when you fret up there, as you've changed strings and switched to x lites the set up might not be spot on, a tech would know more than me though.

#104 OFFLINE   bugg0292

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 05-January 09

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

to be more precise the buzz is on and above the 15th fret on the B, (low)E,A,and D strings.
not on the high e or the g oddly enough but when I bend the high e it doesnt ring out if that helps

#105 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Well we appear to have ruled out most things, if the necks straight, bridge is ok, fretboard's level, action's ok, then the only thing's left in my limited knowledge is it's either something wrong with that fretwire or the guitar set up isn't spot on, did the buzzing start after you changed strings or was it there before, I was hoping one of the techs. could help you, the only other option you have really is to take it to your store and get that fret and the set up checked out, messing around with the saddle can be a bit fiddly so if you aren't happy to do it then the sensible thing to do would be to get the store to set the guitar up for you, if you do this make sure you play it before you leave the store or get them to play it just to make sure they've solved the problem, if you agree it might be the set up and not the fretwire, then you could always post a new thread asking for set up tips if you want to have a go yourself depends how happy you are to have a go though it's not a good idea if you're unsure about doing it.
I'm really sorry I couldn't help more Bugg0292, ruled a few things out but didn't solve the problem, hope you can sort this please tell me if you do.

Cheers

Chris

#106 OFFLINE   newb1991

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

i have a jackson dinky DKM2, how do i adjust the truss rod on a floyd rose? because im getting MAJOR buzz! :(

#107 OFFLINE   nicksdad12

• Active Members
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 03-January 10

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

The same way as on any guitar. The adjustment nut is usually under a cover on the headstock.
About fret buzz ...
Truss rod adjustments help with buzzing around frets 3 to 7. Buzzing up higher has to do with the other end of the strings: the saddle heights.
Buzzing in odd locations has to do with the frets being out of level.

#108 OFFLINE   westcoastsam

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Just thought I'd say thanks for the info on adjusting the truss rod UGB, I just set mine up and it made a huge difference and it was quite easy. Saved my a few bucks too.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users