Ultimate Garage Band

Buzzz! strings too low? Too high? READ THIS!!

MoonShine    0

I eased off the allen key steel rod, sighted but no improvement. Used a long stainless steel ruler (straightedge) and its flat but not concave. Ouch! Replaced the strings and tuned, still that one spot where you get a nasty twang.

Time to take it up to the 'doctor' lol.

Thanks for the help UGB, know my limits before I stuff things up completely lol.

MoonShine    0

Took the plunge and after loosening the strings and tying them back, applied heat to the 2 dodgy frets with the soldering iron and gently pried them out with a very small sharp screwdriver. No damage.

Placed a very small slither of wood from a toothpick and put it beneath the point where it needed to be raised ever so slightly. Put the frets back in dry (no glue) and gently tapped them back in with a piece of dowel and small hammer with my upper leg as a dolly.

Used the steel ruler as straightedge and voila...looking good, replaced the strings, tightened the allen key adjustment just a wee bit, tuned and no more buzzing anywhere.

Got lucky I suppose, thanks again for the fret removal tip, nice.

MoonShine    0

Couldn't have done it without the tips fella's....much appreciated. Thanks for the 'hump' info UGB, was worried it had to be virtually level with strings off.

I bought a long steel ruler to use as a straightedge lying along the frets with strings in tune but my eyes aren't too flash so couldn't see the spaces of any.

So bought what they call an Opti-Visor you can wear and work hands free with around 3x magnification...they are a godsend for all delicate soldering jobs etc..

Bought it online from some mining mob up in Queensland. Can be worn over your glasses if you wear them. Best $25 I ever spent lol.

head_magnifier_visor_P23-1.jpg

Matty Ryan    0

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm having trouble with my A string. I've got a Squier Affinity Strat that still has the original strings on it. Its hardly been used. On my first day of practise, everything was fine. When I went back to it on the second day, the A string sounded flat. At least I think thats the term. I've got an electronic tuner on my effects pedal, and according to that all of the strings are tuned properly. So I tried that fifth fret method, and everything is fine apart from that A string. I can't see how I can get the low E and A strings to sound the same. My guitar isn't knackered is it? :(

allthumbs    8
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm having trouble with my A string. I've got a Squier Affinity Strat that still has the original strings on it. Its hardly been used. On my first day of practise, everything was fine. When I went back to it on the second day, the A string sounded flat. At least I think thats the term. I've got an electronic tuner on my effects pedal, and according to that all of the strings are tuned properly. So I tried that fifth fret method, and everything is fine apart from that A string. I can't see how I can get the low E and A strings to sound the same. My guitar isn't knackered is it? :(

I doubt the squire was set up before you bought it. Sounds like an intonation problem. Read UGBs post on intonating your guitar.

Matty Ryan    0
I doubt the squire was set up before you bought it. Sounds like an intonation problem. Read UGBs post on intonating your guitar.

It used to be okay, but it suddenly went like this overnight. It does sound like intonation from that thread. I'm going to need to reread it (alot). Thanks. :winkthumb:

Matty22    0

If your worried about trying intonating it yourself, two options..

a) take it to a tech and get it setup

B) try restringing first... old strings can play funny buggers with your ears (in my exp anyway)

allthumbs    8

I agree with Matty. Take it in and get a really good setup. It can make a big difference to how well your guitar can play and sound. Check the string height too while your looking at the tech forum.

Matty Ryan    0
If your worried about trying intonating it yourself, two options..

a) take it to a tech and get it setup

B) try restringing first... old strings can play funny buggers with your ears (in my exp anyway)

I agree with Matty. Take it in and get a really good setup. It can make a big difference to how well your guitar can play and sound. Check the string height too while your looking at the tech forum.

It looks like my only option is taking it to someone. I'm completely new to the guitar. I really don't know anything technical, and I'm still bricking myself about changing my strings. I don't have much spare money, so I want to make them last as long as possible. Would I have to pay for someone to set the guitar up?

Thanks for the advice by the way. Its much appreciated, as always. :)

allthumbs    8
It looks like my only option is taking it to someone. I'm completely new to the guitar. I really don't know anything technical, and I'm still bricking myself about changing my strings. I don't have much spare money, so I want to make them last as long as possible. Would I have to pay for someone to set the guitar up?

Thanks for the advice by the way. Its much appreciated, as always. :)

Unless you have a friend with the skills then you wil have to take it in. A simple setup can cost around 30 buck. It depends where you take it.

Matty Ryan    0
Unless you have a friend with the skills then you wil have to take it in. A simple setup can cost around 30 buck. It depends where you take it.

Okay then. I'll have a look around for decent places. I might just take it back to the shop I got it from. They seemed like they knew what they were doing. Thanks for everything. :)

Cedric01    0
what if i have a floyd rose?

i am getting the buzz only on my low E string and it is around the 15 to around 19 fret

Raise the bridge until the buzz is gone. Check your intonation.

tonedeaf    0

Truss rod adjustment

TIGHTEN the truss rod to REMOVE relief

LOOSEN the truss rod to ADD relief.

How to do it? First, to do it alone you'll need a capo. Even if you never use a capo to play, it's worth getting one just to make these kinds of adjustments. It will pay for itself the first time you use it to set up your guitar. Don't get the cheapie capos that have an elastic strap with metal eye holes in the strap, or if you do, make sure you put a protective cloth between the metal eye holes and the finish on the back of your neck. They can and will scratch your finish. If you don't have a capo then you need a friend with at least one hand.

Tune your guitar to 440 concert pitch. Capo the first fret. Fret the 6th string at the 15th or 16th fret. yada, yada, yada...

Hello all,

I was wondering about how do you actually tune your guitar to 440 hz concert pitch? I have a metronome with a 440 hz signal but what on the guitar gets set to this frequency? I also have an electronic tuner with the same signal. Just wondering :guitardude:

Setting the guitar up really isn't that hard at all. I just did my own last night, and I am a newcomer to the guitar. Just follow the instructions and be patient, don't do anything too hastily. My action is so low i barely have to put any pressure on the strings now, I love it!

Hello all,

I was wondering about how do you actually tune your guitar to 440 hz concert pitch? I have a metronome with a 440 hz signal but what on the guitar gets set to this frequency? I also have an electronic tuner with the same signal. Just wondering :guitardude:

your A string should be tuned to 440. 440 is 'normal' tuning for a guitar; not drop D, not DAGDAD, etc.

Stratrat    0

I've done the setup on two of my guitars now - have never touched a truss rod adjustment before, but the instructions here made it easy. Thanks, UGB! :winkthumb:

mattz196    15

Thanks UGB, Lowered the action on my Maton with confidence thanks to your great info . I had to order a special truss rod tool from Maton to do the job and the result is fantastic:yes:

jeansen    0

Hi..glad having UGB post this thing...i’ve read some other articles about it n it made me confuse..thx UGB …but I want to ask you…because of my confusions about adjusting the truss rod, I have rid away my strings off from my guitar because I want to change my string also and now, i really wanted to set-up my guitar : the truss rod, the action, the intonation and the pickup height….but I have a question:

1) is the string height ( and bridge height ) has an effect to do your trick? if it is so, how much height is needed to do your trick magnificently?

2) I’ve read an article that said that we can sight a neck is bowed or not just by putting the headstock pointed to us and then just sight the neck from the headstock to the body.. but it seems really hard for me to do that…how can they do that? Is it need a lot of experience?

And 2 most important question :

3) in the post, you’ve mention how to know if a neck is bent or not with the strings on…but, as I’ve told you, I have rid off the strings.. so , how can I know if my neck is bent or not (without the strings on)?

4) Oh ya, and I want to change my string gauge to a higher string gauge: from 9-42 to 10-46 .., (just for information , my guitar has a floyd rose bridge)…I know that the string gauge and the bridge weight will effect a lot to the truss rod too.. so, what should I do?

Could you give me a step by step instruction to do this special neck adjustment :P( I call it special because I want to change my string gauge also and it is a floating bridge ) ?

Thx u a lot…

Sorry for bad English..hope you do know what I mean…:smilinguitar:

Best regard,Jeansen

allthumbs    8

First you have to restring your guitar. You can't adjust the truss rod without knowing the string height when it is properly tuned.

Here is a vid on how to restring your floyd.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7451

Then follow UGBs instructions on whether to raise or lower the strings

"

How to do it? First, to do it alone you'll need a capo. Even if you never use a capo to play, it's worth getting one just to make these kinds of adjustments. It will pay for itself the first time you use it to set up your guitar. Don't get the cheapie capos that have an elastic strap with metal eye holes in the strap, or if you do, make sure you put a protective cloth between the metal eye holes and the finish on the back of your neck. They can and will scratch your finish. If you don't have a capo then you need a friend with at least one hand.

Tune your guitar to 440 concert pitch (A string is tuned to A. Standard tuning; no alternate tunings.) Capo the first fret. Fret the 6th string at the 15th or 16th fret. Take 2 business cards and slip them between the 6th string and the 7th fret. Do the cards actually lift the string up to squeeze in? You need to add relief. This means that your guitar probably had low action but buzzed pretty badly when you played. Do the 2 business cards slip inbetween the 7th fret and the 6th string without touching either? This means you need to take away relief. Your guitar probably has high action and no buzzing.

The more complicated adjustment is to remove relief/tighten the truss rod. The first thing we need to do in this adjustment is to detune the guitar to remove string tension. You do not want to adjust this truss rod fighting the pulling energy of the strings. This is a major and common mistake by inexperienced technicians and can quickly lead to stripped nuts or wrenches or worse."

There really is no basic way to put it than what UBG has said. If that is too complex for you then take it in to be setup.

jeansen    0

Allthumbs:great link ..thx u a lot!!

First you have to restring your guitar

i've got an idea last night: instead of restringing my guitar...how about using a ruler and put it over the frets at a 90 degrees (upright position) to the fretboard and then do exactly the same as the UGB instructions?can i do that?i mean, the string is for giving a straight line,right?so..it is ok to substitute the string with a ruler,right? btw,i've heard some opinions that telling me to use a ruler that made of from steel ( a steel ruler) ? is it a must?why?

and how long ? will a 30 cm ruler do the work? or i do need a longer one?

thx u a lot...

again,sorry for bad english...hope you all know what i mean..btw,almost all of My questions haven't been answered yet,please take a look at it,cause i need those answers badly... thx u

best regards,

Jeansen