Kirk Lorange

Pachelbel Canon - new lesson

I've done a new lesson to the chord progression of that classical piece Pachelbel's Canon, made famous these days by that young Korean player who does a shred version on YouTube.

It's in three parts, starting easy then getting trickier with each pass through the chords.

Here it is, I hope you enjoy it: http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/finger-style-lessons/13961-canon/

That a version that I should be able to master in this lifetime, unlike the Korean dude's version. Thanks Kirk.

Hilch - that was a great musical vid rant! Too funny.

They're the same chords as Hotel Calif too - just mixed up a little differently.

Very nice Kirk. A great lesson.

And for anyone who was confused a while back about that so called 'rule' of R.H. fingering we talked about, where the thumb plays strings 6, 5 & 4, while the other fingers keep to their own strings 3, 2 & 1, look at the video again...

Here you can see Kirk's fingers playing strings 5 & 4 whenever the chord notes (arpeggio) descend to the lower strings.

This is completely in line with correct classical technique. In contexts like that, using the thumb to play all of those chord notes on strings 5 & 4 is not only awkward but can completely ruin their natural flow.

Another good choice. I have a "non-players" version I worked out on piano, since I don't play piano, but it's nice to have a framework for a guitar version as well. Nicely done!

I have been scared of this since I saw this on You-tube

Sorry Kirk

That was pretty funny. But it was also a good example of how the same chord progressions (or intervals) flow from one type of music to another to another. This illustrates the importance of the Roman Numerals and why Kirk always puts them across in his lessons. Not every song is written in the same key but can be played in the same key as long as you know the intervals, the Roman Numerals.

Another good lesson from an excellent teacher.

Mike

Another great lesson, Kirk....thanks for all the time and effort you put into these! I like your version much better than the shreddy stuff.

Hilch - that's by far the best version of (or about) Pachelbel Canon that I've ever seen....I'd rather watch that than Funtwo or the Korean kid any day! I don't care WHO you are - THAT is funny!!! :lol::lol: