Lcjones

A Blue Million Microphones --- Help!! ---

Lcjones    8

Guys,

I've had an epiphany. A revelation in home recording this week. Things clicked and a particular recording I did blew my doors off. Except the vocals. My vocal mic sucks. But, much knob twisting, lotsa reading and some good luck created what I'll call my best recording yet. Except the vocals. My vocal mic sucks.

I know vocals are the hardest to record. Each singer is different in every way, shape and form. I am currently using an inexpensive MXL 990 for vocals. "It's time to move on", quoting my "at home mentor on CD", Tom Petty.

If anyone can offer advice on vocal mic's, I'm all ears. Now just to clarify, I can't possibly afford those 3000.00 dollar baby's. Much as I'd like to.

So I'm looking for the best bang for my few bucks. A mic that works with the home studio vocalist.

Thanks in advance!

LC

Ellenback1    0

Gee, I dunno, LC...i just use the little mike that came with my webcam, on a headset. For actual recordings, I stick to my two SM-58's...the sound is awesome for the lower notes, and I just back way up for any of the higher range. Wish I could be more help, I'll be watching this thread to see if there's anything I can learn as well.

Elle

eddiez152    129

Les,

Could you tell me what you have been looking at so far.

I see many here use the good old Shure 58.

I have many, but what do I know. MXL006 usb, and many others.

Your Turn

eddie

Lcjones    8
Les,

Could you tell me what you have been looking at so far.

I see many here use the good old Shure 58.

I have many, but what do I know. MXL006 usb, and many others.

Your Turn

eddie

Ha.......

I've looked at ton. I've read reviews. Which are mostly biased. I'm looking for real life experience with mic's.

I don't want smoke up the wahzoo. I'm looking for "stab you in the eye experience" with vocal mic's.

LC

Rockerbob    47

I think good recordings can be had with a variety of mics. Even the venerable SM58. I have a pair of AKG C414 mics, not $3K, but not cheap either. They require phantom power, as do most studio condenser mics. They have multiple pickup patterns, a bass roll-off switch and a pad switch - all of which makes a very versatile mic. I use mine for everything! Here is a link to one: AKG C 414 B-XLS | Sweetwater.com

I don't like the "II" version, which is supposed to sound "vintage." The model in the link is a great mic. Great on acoustic guitar as well as vocals.

Tekker    1
Tekker,

Max 500.00 on a mic. Pre-amp. Ha! Stock, built in pre-amp on a Behringer UB1202 (non FX) console. Yep, I know. ;)

Upgrade the Behringer. ;)

Studio Projects VTB-1 Preamp - $120

For mics....

Marshall MXL V69 Tube Mic - $300

I have the V69 and I really like it, I also replaced the tube in it with a Mullard 12AT7 and I'm very happy with the mic. However, I kind of doubt it'd fit the "Tom Petty" sound. Being a tube mic it has a very colored and warm sound, whereas Tom's vocals are more neutral.

The Studio Projects mics all get great reviews so I don't think you can go wrong with any one of their mics. Either of these would be a good choice.

Studio Projects C1 - $240

Studio Projects B1 - $120

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to make decisions without hearing it because mics depend on the voice, your other gear, and the sound you want to achieve. I've heard of numerous people who pick the SM58 for their voice over mics costing $1,000+. So if you can get your hands on any of this before buying, that would be best so you can try stuff out before you get stuck with something that doesn't work for you.

Btw.... Care to share your recording master piece? :D

-tkr

Jomi    1

I was using Shure SM58 dynamic mics till I read Tekkers lessons, he says I'd get better results (for acoustic guitar) using a condensing mic so I sent to the USA for a Marshal MXL 2006, I used the MXL to record 'Annie' and 'Homeward'.

Prior to that I was using the SM58s. Vocally I didn't notice a lot of difference (though I'm no expert).

Ellenback1    0

Jomi, what kind of adaptor did you use to run from the SM-58 to your PC? Is there a cable to USB type of thing? There must be...seems silly to have two of these gems just sitting there collecting dust and trying to work with a crappola headset mike from my webcam setup.

Might stop by my local music store and see what they have...

Elle

Stratrat    0

I can't offer anything in the way of advice, but I'm watching this thread carefully also. I've been considering upgrading my mic too (currently using a cheapo Nady), looking for a halfway-decent condenser mic without spending a fortune. It would take a lot more than a new mic to make my vox sound decent - but hey, I'll take every advantage I can get! :)

solidwalnut    5
Guys,

I've had an epiphany. A revelation in home recording this week. Things clicked and a particular recording I did blew my doors off. Except the vocals. My vocal mic sucks. But, much knob twisting, lotsa reading and some good luck created what I'll call my best recording yet. Except the vocals. My vocal mic sucks.

I know vocals are the hardest to record. Each singer is different in every way, shape and form. I am currently using an inexpensive MXL 990 for vocals. "It's time to move on", quoting my "at home mentor on CD", Tom Petty.

If anyone can offer advice on vocal mic's, I'm all ears. Now just to clarify, I can't possibly afford those 3000.00 dollar baby's. Much as I'd like to.

So I'm looking for the best bang for my few bucks. A mic that works with the home studio vocalist.

Thanks in advance!

LC

Les--

I have some TLIIs and I don't think they're the best vocal mic. Maybe for guit's, they're not bad, but they're not my favorite. They're a little thin sounding to my ears.

This blows your budget, but for an all-around great large capsule mic, check out the Neumann TLM103. They really do sound great.

Another really wonderful sounding mic for all, very warm, very thick sounding is the Rode NTK. It's become my go-to mic and a favorite. From my limited experience, I think it's one of the best under-1k mics out there.

Steve

Lcjones    8

Well dang, I blew it up.

Don't know what I did. Added a hardware compressor into the chain. I couldn't get it to work. So, I put my stuff back as it was and now I can't record. I've done something to Windows on the PC because Windows Sound Recorder doesn't record either. Everything plays fine, just no record abilities. Crikey. I bet I've hosed my sound card.....

:(

Jomi    1

Sorry to take so long Elle (pc probs).

The SM58 doesn't go directly to the pc, I use a little preamp called Art studio V3, The V3 connects to the pc soundcard using the line-in NOT the mic socket.

Everything I have for recording came from Ebay.

You can do it easily enough by going directly to your mic socket but I need to know what type of cable is connected to you SM58?

The end that connects to the mic is called XLR, are both ends the same? (there'll be male and female).

Jomi, what kind of adaptor did you use to run from the SM-58 to your PC? Is there a cable to USB type of thing? There must be...seems silly to have two of these gems just sitting there collecting dust and trying to work with a crappola headset mike from my webcam setup.

Might stop by my local music store and see what they have...

Elle

Ellenback1    0

Basically, all I have on both the wireless and the wired mics are the standard cables that go into a PA board...with the 3 prong ends...

I want to go to USB...

Elle

Stratrat    0

Elle - I don't know of any XLR - USB adaptor. Your best bet may be to buy a preamp or mixer that has a USB connection and run your mic through that to the computer. I use the Alesis Multimix8 USB mixer (as do a couple other guys here), and it works great. You can also use it for guitars and other instruments, add reverb and fx, etc. It also provides 48V "phantom power", so you could run a condenser mic through it also if you picked one up in the future.

Ellenback1    0

Thanks, Stratrat, you're a veritable fountain of information for me!

I think you're right..I need a mixer! I'll go browse to see the $$$ behind all of this.

Elle

tomg123    0

I also have the same mixer stratcat mentioned, so far I haven't done much with it except use the pre-amp for my cheap mic, and it seems to work good. I also will be getting a better mic, but will spend maybe 100 bucks. Musicians friend web site is a good place to look, where i bought the mixer