micklen

Intonation

micklen    0

Right

I have been reading all about it and I have been sorting the intonation on my Squier which was way out

I have managed fine with the D G B & E strings

The A is close enough

However I have run out of adjustment with the low E and it is still a little out

The screw on the tremelo is tight :(

Is that it or is there something else I can do

Thanks a lot

by "low E" I'm guessing you mean the 6th string, the thick one? I'd bet you've backed the saddle back as far as you can and it's still a bit sharp? I'd have to see the bridge assembly to see what you can do beyond that. Is there a coil spring surrounding the screw? Sometimes you can disassemble the saddle unit and remove the spring and reassemble it w/o the spring allowing you to adjust back that much more, however sometimes your adjustment screw begins to pinch the string inside the saddle cavity. If there is one. I'd really need to see it.

Thanks! Yeah man, you've got a spring you can take out. Here's a couple of things to examine and possibly do first:

1. After I remove the spring and reassemble the saddle unit, will the adjustment screw contact, and/or potentially pinch the string? If yes, then while disassembled, purchase a shorter screw, or cut that one down and re-thread the end.

2. After the saddle is positioned properly for intonation, will it actually cover the hole in the guitar where the string has to come out? If yes, then you're going to have to drill a channel for the string to come up further back in the top.

micklen    0

Great

Thanks a lot for that UGB I will give that a go

Should I remove, or just loosen the string??

And just a quickie

Is it all right, when you are changing strings, to take them all off to allow for a good spring clean ??

You can take all the strings off at once. It can potentially take you longer to put a new set back on and tune them up properly if your trem is a true floater. I take all the strings off and clean the fretboard at least twice a year. I'm going to do a sticky on that.

micklen    0

Well I took the spring off and screwed it in and it is still very slightly sharp but not a lot more I can do I think

A friend who's played for years professionally is coming to see me next week so we will see what he has to say

Thanks for the help though UGB

I think it will sound good when I get it all set up :D