felixdcat    0

Do you always need to know what notes you're playing? Is this really that useful?

I'd like to understand what I'm playing - I ordered PlaneTalk (hope it helps when it arrives). I tried naming the notes I play :guitardude: , but it just doesn't mean much to me :helpsmili , because I can always change the key or something? What do you do to understand undergoing music?

Not sure if you understand what I mean... :yes:

testekleez    0

Plane Talk is pretty cool man. It's certainly opening up a whole new world to me. As Kirk has said, he thinks more in numbers than specific notes. I can't really go into any detail as to give away PT, I'll just say it's helping my fingers learn where to go on their own.

I don't think any of the guitar heroes think in terms of note for note while their noodling away. The cool thing about PT is, from the chords, there the notes be.

You can learn where to be on the fretboard, at the right times and you'll learn (over time, still learning myself) what the underlying options are from the chords being played.

There's no set of rules really, you go where your ears and fingers want it to, but you know where you're at at all times and where the "bad" stuff is and what to avoid.

This is not the same ole, same ole guitar wanking exercises you do repetitively to make you a rock god overnight. This a thought process. A building block. It will take time to learn and apply. I say this because I'm learning it still and know that it's not an overnight thing.

The basic idea/foundation of it is definitely simple, but will take a while to apply effectively as you learn.

felixdcat    0

Guess I did a right thing when I ordered it. That's what I thought, seems awkward that somebody's thinking notes and knowing where he is just by knowing them. Thanks a lot for the reply :)

scotty_b    16

In my own experience, I have learnt every note on the fretboard so that I know it 'cold' and that has given me much more musical freedom than I thought possible.

MikeyJ    0

If you know the notes at the nut (EADGBE) and you know the 12 note system, you can easily name every note on every string at every fret. The hard part comes in finding them in a split second (which is why I guess scotty_b memorized them. My dad, who was a guitarist , always told me to learn every note. I never did. I can find 'em though, just not that fast. I'm waiting for Plane Talk to come so I can be enlightened!

Hey    0

No you dont, but it helps alot if your playing with, lets say, a horn player. sence you dont play horns, you cant really tell him how to get the sound you want, but if you know music thero, you can say "key of cm, 3/4 timeing, and heres the music sheet with notes I want you to play"... or something like that. Also if you play in a jazz band or do classical, you useally a use sheet music to help you to play along with other people.

Im not really sure where Im going with this, but really, its like reading and talkeing. you can still be a good speker if you dont know how to read, but if you learn how to read it helps...

Wow, I hope that makes sence and your can read my long reabmling paragraph...