scott58

3 pickups as opposed to 2

scott58    0

I've been thinking about getting the Dean caddy 1980 reissue (just love the series II V head stock). After looking a bit I've found there are to models. One with 2 humbuckers the other with 3. How much more do you get out of the additional electronics and is it worth the few hundred extra? I play a bit of def leppard, motley crew, kiss, Iron maiden etc when it comes to my electric. here is a site with the 2 pickup model

DEAN CADILLAC 1980 (2 PICKUP) WITH CASE - Elderly Instruments

Dewy    0

I've always found the "third" (middle actually) pickup useless... even on a strat. To me, and its just an opinion, its just for show...

Look I can play with three pickups!!!

Ohh, and by the way, big fan of Dean guitars here... but, as always, each guitar is its own soul... can't judge a guitar by the name brand alone... gotta play it first.

scott58    0

I know what you mean. Problem is around here Deans are hard to come by. You can find the dime stuff, but little else. I got lucky ordering my V-Wing (love that guitar). Alot of people say there are some switching considerations between the pickups also when 3 are involved. The nearest 2 pickup I can find is 3 hours away (which is doable), but the 3 pickup model is in kansas and I can't see getting there anytime soon. Gonna get one or the other just gonna have to think about it a bit more. Thanks

P-90    1

I appreciate a third pickup on a single-coil guitar, because that (usually) gives me 2 hum-cancelling positions.

With humbuckers, I can't see any reason for 3. I guess that's why you see dozens of Les Pauls for every Black Beauty out there...

P-90    1

Looking at the patterns in Dean electric designs, Dean Guitars - Dean Electric Guitars

I'd lean towards the idea that it's a Gibson Explorer top grafted onto a Les Paul bottom. Not that I worry overmuch about originality of design anyway. The way I look at it, solid body guitar design goes:

1950: Tele

1952: Les Paul

1954: Strat, LP Jr.

1958: Flying V, Explorer, double-cutaway LP Jr.

1961: SG

1962-present: a few original designs which didn't really catch on, plus endless variations on the above.