tonedeaf

"please Do Not Eat"

tonedeaf    0

I'm sure that everyone knows about those little packages that show up in electronic pakcages, tools, and just about anywhere something can get moldy and damp. Those desiccant silica packages that absorb moisture.

Now, my question is can these packages be used to help keep down the moisture in a guitar? It's been pretty humid around these parts lately and can a few a of thses packets placed in a guitar case and inside a guitar help? I think that the humidity would have to be kept on eye on because you don't want to dry it out too much.

Thanks all.

testekleez    0

Only thing I'm aware of is a dampit. Best bet is to keep it in air conditioned space in a hard shell case. A dampit is more for adding moisture though they may make something to do the opposite.

As long as the relative humidity is around 60% or less (give or take a few percentage points) it shouldn't be a problem.

JessThrasher    10

Oh I wouldn't try that if I were you. My main concern is if one of them leaks, the chemicals can screw ur axe big time. My chemistry teacher told me what the exact formula was, but I forgot. Any chemistry wizards here?

Doug    12

I don't think there'd be any harm in it. Silica Gel is not really hazardous on its own - there may be fungicides mixed in which would make it poisonous. It'd be hard to control the relative humidty within a certain range, though, but if it's too humid it can't hurt.

You can recharge the silica gel by cooking it at 300 deg F for a while.

tonedeaf    0

Thanks guys for all the replies. Quite a wide range of opinions so I will have to consider all of them.

Doug: That's good to know. Those little pellets of silica gel are used in many items including shipping of medicines/drugs.

Mike8307: Thanks Mike, that's probably best a professional product.

hermanli..: I appreciate your concerns and warnings. It made me take a good look at all the options. The last thing I need is a damaged axe that could have been prevented. Are you talking about the liquid form of desiccant? For sure if that leaked it would be dangerous but I am talking about the little silica pellets.

testekleez: I know it would be great to have a little studio set up with a controlled environment but it's not always possible. I could drive around in my car with the air on for a few days though!