solidwalnut    5

I've been looking at the custom guitars this guy makes. I may actually take a trip to check them out since it's not all that far away from me.

Anyway, I was looking at his site today and ran across a page that describes all of the tonewoods available to him.

This is quite an interesting guitar retail and manufacturing site, Ed Roman Guitars.

Steve

ole Ed Roman.

If you visit, let us know how you like the place. This guy is hated amongst my circles. I don't personal dislike him, or his way of saying that all other guitars are crap compared to his, but many people hate the way he has protrayed Fender, Ibanez, Gibson etc etc etc... guitars as being soooo poorly made etc...

Don't forget, you'll pay an arm and a leg for these "expertly crafted" guitars, that probably don't PLAY any better than a stock Fender, though they WILL probably LOOK very good.

Just my advice... unless you have cash to burn, I'd stay away from these (and others) "custom shop" guitars... I've owned guitars that costed 6,000.00 and I PROMISE you they sounded NO better than a Fender, Ibanez or Gibson with the same pickups and similar wood.

Wood does make a difference in tone, but really the pickups for an electric guitar are king. To me custom shop guitars are mainly just better in the looks department. Some would claim the playability as well, but I haven't found this to be the case.

allthumbs    8

Uhm... Ed Roman in Vegas is considered to be.... how do I put this!!. Go to a big guitar forum and do a search for his name. Many consider him the most underhanded, conniving weasel of the guitar world. I have read dozens of horror stories from survivors of transactions with his store and him. I have seen threads with 0ver 30 pages of very strong language concerning him. Be very cautious in dealing with him. You need to get any article from him in your hands for evaluation. If it is ok, don't let go of it. Don't let him wrap it for you, Don't let it out of your sight. Absolutely Never do anything by mail with this guy. He is the king of bait and switch. For every one person that has a good transaction with him, there are a hundreds that got burned. Good luck.

solidwalnut    5
Hey Steve, I guess you don't have a good excuse to go to Vegas now...:(

Skip

I tried! Actually, Lisa and I went there this spring and had a blast. We'll be going back there, for sure.

But now I'm no so sure I'm going to be visiting Ed Roman!

solidwalnut    5
Steve,

Checkout a Tony Nobles guitar. You will find him on the net. If your looking for a specialty he's one of the best. Hill country guitars. Hill Country Guitars - Current Inventory Austin Texas.

By the way, I'll be at your airport tomarrow at around 2:00pm from there on to Monterey California.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into those gits. Wave south and east when you're at the airport!! Have a safe trip.

solidwalnut    5

Thanks for the tips everyone. It's too bad he's got such a bad rep, he seems to know alot. There's still some good info on his site, but I think I'll be putting of another trip to Vegas. :)

solidwalnut    5
Some very interesting stuff there Steve.:winkthumb:

I ended up following one of the links to the Mcpherson site and you can download a free cd full of lovely guitar music all made using Mcpherson guitars - not a bad way to advertise.

Acoustic Guitars by McPherson Guitars

Yah, for his bad reputation he seems to advertise and praise all sorts of independent guitar makers. I guess he's just got it in for the high volume manufacturing makers.

solidwalnut    5
ole Ed Roman.

If you visit, let us know how you like the place. This guy is hated amongst my circles. I don't personal dislike him, or his way of saying that all other guitars are crap compared to his, but many people hate the way he has protrayed Fender, Ibanez, Gibson etc etc etc... guitars as being soooo poorly made etc...

Don't forget, you'll pay an arm and a leg for these "expertly crafted" guitars, that probably don't PLAY any better than a stock Fender, though they WILL probably LOOK very good.

Just my advice... unless you have cash to burn, I'd stay away from these (and others) "custom shop" guitars... I've owned guitars that costed 6,000.00 and I PROMISE you they sounded NO better than a Fender, Ibanez or Gibson with the same pickups and similar wood.

Wood does make a difference in tone, but really the pickups for an electric guitar are king. To me custom shop guitars are mainly just better in the looks department. Some would claim the playability as well, but I haven't found this to be the case.

It all started because I'm in the chase for a PRS (maybe). I'm looking around on the 'net for PRS pricing and his website pops up. He sells a ton of PRS, but he does knock them every chance he gets.

solidwalnut    5
Uhm... Ed Roman in Vegas is considered to be.... how do I put this!!. Go to a big guitar forum and do a search for his name. Many consider him the most underhanded, conniving weasel of the guitar world. I have read dozens of horror stories from survivors of transactions with his store and him. I have seen threads with 0ver 30 pages of very strong language concerning him. Be very cautious in dealing with him. You need to get any article from him in your hands for evaluation. If it is ok, don't let go of it. Don't let him wrap it for you, Don't let it out of your sight. Absolutely Never do anything by mail with this guy. He is the king of bait and switch. For every one person that has a good transaction with him, there are a hundreds that got burned. Good luck.

Now that I know this, I probably won't go anywhere near the guy. Thanks.

solidwalnut    5
ole Ed Roman.

You're so right. It's easy to be swayed by the 'ooh-ahh' factor.

Andy S    9
It all started because I'm in the chase for a PRS (maybe).

Any particular Model? I think I'm in lust over a Johnny Hiland Special!:drool: The tones that thing can get are ...well, amazing! He has a video on Youtube.com where he shows all the sounds and tones you can get out of it. The only problem with getting one, well, some folks think (incorrectly!!) that if you have one of the special artist guitars, you gotta play as good as the artist. Uhm, well...scratch THAT notion!

Anyhow, If I was gonna get a PRS, I think that's the one I'd go for. I haven't even priced one yet. Why break my heart and shatter my dreams!?!! HA!

Good luck on your hunt!

mattz196    15
Yah, for his bad reputation he seems to advertise and praise all sorts of independent guitar makers. I guess he's just got it in for the high volume manufacturing makers.

It looks to me as though he doesn't put his business principles where his mouth is ( read his rants) it appears he is more than happy to take your money for these same brands he bags, online he sells a ton of brands including all the biggies he disparages. He does not seem like a nice man, to put it mildy.

I owned a PRS Swamp Ash Special at one point in the past. Honestly, I wasn't impress with its sound or playability.

Did it sound good? absolutely... did it sound what I paid for it? NO.

Did it play good? yes... did it play better than my Gibson, Dean (import), Ibanez or Fender? NO.

It looked sweet though, and had alot of pick-up configurations to choose from, because it had a coil tap for the humbuckers. Great Guitar, but not worth the price IMHO. The guitar actually felt cheap to me, but I've owned and handled some of the best.

If anyone gets one, I don't think they'll be disappointed, I wasn't disappointed, just giving my opinion about what I got versus what I expected for the price.

I've bought very few guitars that are worth their price, when the price was over 2,000.00 USD.

Brian

solidwalnut    5
Any particular Model? I think I'm in lust over a Johnny Hiland Special!:drool: The tones that thing can get are ...well, amazing! He has a video on Youtube.com where he shows all the sounds and tones you can get out of it. The only problem with getting one, well, some folks think (incorrectly!!) that if you have one of the special artist guitars, you gotta play as good as the artist. Uhm, well...scratch THAT notion!

Anyhow, If I was gonna get a PRS, I think that's the one I'd go for. I haven't even priced one yet. Why break my heart and shatter my dreams!?!! HA!

Good luck on your hunt!

Hi Andy--

A Johnny Hiland Special, huh? Now you've got me thinking. No, I wasn't after any particular one, I just thought they seemed like a good brand to check out. I'll look into that one, but I won't tell you the price. I'll protect your dreams!!

Steve

solidwalnut    5
I owned a PRS Swamp Ash Special at one point in the past. Honestly, I wasn't impress with its sound or playability.

Did it sound good? absolutely... did it sound what I paid for it? NO.

Did it play good? yes... did it play better than my Gibson, Dean (import), Ibanez or Fender? NO.

It looked sweet though, and had alot of pick-up configurations to choose from, because it had a coil tap for the humbuckers. Great Guitar, but not worth the price IMHO. The guitar actually felt cheap to me, but I've owned and handled some of the best.

If anyone gets one, I don't think they'll be disappointed, I wasn't disappointed, just giving my opinion about what I got versus what I expected for the price.

I've bought very few guitars that are worth their price, when the price was over 2,000.00 USD.

Brian

Yeah, I'd be totally happy with one that had decent tone and playability rather than paying for a name.

Steve

737blues    0

Lol! After that Johny Hiland demo I would have sold the house for one of those guitars. Fortunately, there just wasn't one available in sleepy old Melbourne town. By now of course, I've realised that if I were to hand Johhny Hiland any of my cheap old guitars he'd still sound like Johhny Hiland, but if I could buy his signature guitar, I know I'd still sound like me. :crying2:

Stratrat    0

I've read a lot of really nasty stuff about Ed Roman in various forums too. He has a "do not touch" policy on new and high-end guitars in his store (read it right on his website - he mentions it at least a few times in his "rants" section). Hey, if I'm spending that kind of dough on a guitar, I want to pick it up and PLAY it before I decide to get the Visa out and light it up! He slags the heck out of PRS every chance he gets, but seems to be more than happy to sell them. He sounds like a pompous, arrogant horse's hind end to me. Here's just one LINK with some comments from Ed's customers.

If I were going to have a custom guitar built, one of the places I'd be looking at would be Rice Custom Guitars. I don't see any PRS-type guitars on their page, but they do have some dynamite-looking axes! Their prices are reasonable (for custom-built guitars) and I've read a lot of very favorable reviews of their guitars and their customer service.

Stratrat    0

(too late to edit my last post...)

Steve - do a Google search on Ed Roman and poke around a bit. I was going to post a few links to sites I found, but many of them contain rather, ahhhh, "strong" language when describing Ed and their dealings with him.

solidwalnut    5
(too late to edit my last post...)

Steve - do a Google search on Ed Roman and poke around a bit. I was going to post a few links to sites I found, but many of them contain rather, ahhhh, "strong" language when describing Ed and their dealings with him.

I think that you guys's recommendations are good enough for me to know he's a rat. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that the next time I'm in Vegas I might check out some of the axes he has. But I now know that I'll never special order one from him. But thanks for the link to Rice Custom Guitars. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again, Strat.

Steve

Andy S    9
Lol! After that Johny Hiland demo I would have sold the house for one of those guitars. Fortunately, there just wasn't one available in sleepy old Melbourne town. By now of course, I've realised that if I were to hand Johhny Hiland any of my cheap old guitars he'd still sound like Johhny Hiland, but if I could buy his signature guitar, I know I'd still sound like me. :crying2:

Yup!! Which is why I am very happy with the guitars I currently own!! I can sound like me....:smilinguitar: Now, depending on the song, the day and what I've just dealt with in the previous 24 hours, that can be a good thing:yes: .....or NOT!!!:dunno:

solidwalnut    5

Good luck on your hunt!

I went and played a Johnny Hiland PRS today.:wub: :wub: :punk::rockon:

The tones on this thing are unbelievable. But then again, it's a PRS! And if I don't get the JH model, I just might pick up a Custom 22 or 24. Those sound very, very nice! Not that I have the money for either right now, but a guy can dream!!