PsychoRythum

There's just...something missing?

I know which scales and mode to use on pretty much any chord, and I'm always aware of the chord tones and scale tones, but for some reason I think my improvisations don't sound that good.

My favourite guitar solo ever is the one Bill Nelson plays with Be Bop Deluxe on a song called "Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape" on the "Live! In The Air Age" album (don't worry, whether you're familar with the song isn't important). The chords he solos over are Cmaj7 for 2 bars and then Fmaj7 for 2 bars (repeat over and over). Now, I solo over these chords and while my solo won't be bad, Bill Nelson's is so much more beautifully melodic than mine, and I can't figure out why.

I thought maybe it's because I'm not making sure I start and end phrases on chord tones, or at least don't emphasise the chord tones enough. But that doesn't fix it. It could be my phrasing that's wrong, it could be my dynamics, maybe my articulation (I don't playing many bends or vibratos because I'm not very good at those yet)...I think the most likely problem may be my ear.

I know it's complicated, but please help if you can. What's wrong?!

krissovo    0

You will always be your own worst critic, post some of your solo's here for some constructive analysis.

You never know you might be pleasantly surprised!

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, PsychoRythum.

You seem to have a good grasp of the note choice aspect, so that's not a problem; I'm assuming you've analyzed your favorite solo to see exactly what it consists of in terms of note choice; you're aware of the importance of phrasing and the subtleties of dynamics ... I think you just need to keep doing as much as you can, and always strive to know exactly what it is you're doing, even if that means listening back later to a recording. Experiment, explore, imitate, emulate, invent, reinvent, cross reference, try as many ways as you can and listen as hard as you can ... give yourself time.

And, yes, I agree with krisovo, post some recordings. :thumbup1:

Doug    12

here's a suggestion. Since you seem to have a good grasp on the technical aspects, perhaps the emotional side is lacking. Does the music that you are playing evoke an emotion in you? I know, touchy feely ;), but is the music trying to portray pure unadulterated joy, or absolute anguish, or read-hot anger, or a rainy day pensiveness, love, wonder... Maybe if you really try to feel an emotion deeply while playing the piece it will come across better.

If you are still developing vibrato and bending techniques then that tells me that you are still fairly new. I wouldn't be so critical. Over time your fingers will get "feel" into them... and its almost like you can make your guitar "feel" whats in your fingers or head to fingers to guitar.

I know this might sound strange, but its true! Some people try and methodize this down to finger placement, pressure and pick attack... and yes this is true, but if you are having to think about it, then you aren't "feeling" it, and it'll still never come across right. It just takes time to get all this under control.

I once read that the average guitar player will take eight years to become "good". I don't know if this is true, but from experience it sounds about right. I'm sure this is dependent on if you have a good teacher and how much practice and the quality of practice a person would have.