21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm curious as to what everyone sees.

Please take a look at this video. Tell me if you think the thumb movement is somewhat blurry or the movements are absolutely clear.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#2 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

The thumb is clear enough for instruction purposes, not absolutely clear - but well good enough.

What camera/interface/software are you using? All these things can have an effect on your finished Vid...
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.
Robert Nesta Marley 1945- 1981

#3 OFFLINE   SprayTech

• Active Members
  • 534 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

Looks clear when I view on a MacPro laptop .

#4 OFFLINE   twilli227

• Active Members
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 27-February 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

Steve, it looks clear on my end. You might want to pull back on the camera a little though.

#5 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Works for me.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

There is a little blur in the movement of the thumb but you can tell unquestionalbly that the thumb is alternating between the A and D strings.

Mike

#7 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

It's clear enough for instruction, the thumb goes blurred on the down stroke after you've struck the string but this doesn't affect the lesson, if it was still photography I'd look at Camera speed but I'm not qualified on filming maybe you could back the Cam. off a bit.
Hope this helps Steve.

#8 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,018 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

Steve,
Very clear on my mac. A little blurred when the picking was faster.
But good for lessons.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#9 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

OldG said:

The thumb is clear enough for instruction purposes, not absolutely clear - but well good enough.

What camera/interface/software are you using? All these things can have an effect on your finished Vid...

Well what I'm seeing is that when I play this video from my hard drive, there is absolutely no blurring of the movement of the thumb, but when this video is uploaded to the GfB server and played back, I see the blurring. I've played them side by side and can see that.

I know that the cameral lens was too close and therefore has focus blur. I just decided it wasn't bad enough to not do it over again. I'm using a Fuji camera in film mode and producing the vids in Magix Movie Edit Pro 12, and then using On2 Flix Standard to convert them into flash.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.

#10 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

twilli227 said:

Steve, it looks clear on my end. You might want to pull back on the camera a little though.

Yeah, I realize when I looked at the raw vid that the lense was too close to focus well. I just decided it wasn't bad enough to do over.
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

#11 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

I only really noticed it when you popped this thread on solidwalnut, I took the lesson and it didn't affect the quality of the lesson at all certainly not enough to redo it and I can play Dust in the wind now so it worked for me. Thanks for this lesson and all the work you do to help us learn.:thumbup1:

Cheers

Chris

#12 OFFLINE   Aunt Doty

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

I only noticed it because you pointed it out, and then had to look closely to see the slight blurring!

#13 OFFLINE   X4StringDrive

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 04-March 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thought it looked ok myself, maybe by converting it you change the Fps{frames per second} and converting compresses sometimes causing that same effect.... "My thoughts"

#14 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Steve, if you think it's the server here, maybe you should post the same file on your server and we can take a look at the difference. I honestly can't see anything noticeable. Your movies in fact look a lot clearer than most of the ones Kirk posts here. I really wouldn't be concerned.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#15 OFFLINE   Chaotic Kittie

• Active Members
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

I can't notice anything, no blurs or anything. I'll actually go as far as to say that it looks perfect here.

#16 OFFLINE   twilli227

• Active Members
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 27-February 07

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I realize when I looked at the raw vid that the lense was too close to focus well. I just decided it wasn't bad enough to do over.
Steve, it looks fine on my comp. I just was giving my opinion. So the answer is, leave it the way it is. It works.:smilinguitar:

#17 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Thanks all. I'm being too picky I suppose. And Clancy, it doesn't matter whether the vid's posted on GfB server or the solidwalnut server. It's just something that's happening when played from my hard drive vs. being streamed, I'm thinking.
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

#18 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

Aunt Doty said:

I only noticed it because you pointed it out, and then had to look closely to see the slight blurring!
+1. It's plenty clear enough to see what the thumb is doing.
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#19 OFFLINE   magpie2000k

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 04-June 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

Hey I know nothing, but could learn easily from that so if what a newbie sees is what is important. I am a newbie and its clear as a bell to me.

#20 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

Steve,
Looks good from my machine...nice lesson by the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users