- - - - -

Finger-picking~Folk~Ani DiFranco...

22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

I'm wilting from frustration, though as I hear the "clitty clat" of the keys my hope is starting to come back around...: ) I'm a "newbie", yuck @ that term, so basically my timing is rotten and my ears still need a ton of grilling and drilling, but my fingers are seriously callused, my dogs can howl the major and minor pentatonic scales, I've nailed the most common barre chords, I am friends with the fretboard and the location of the notes upon it, BUT I can't seem to play ANY of the songs that I set out to play... It's probably my choice in songs, but they are what I want to play... I have dvd lessons galore and can play their little "Londonderry Air, Do Da", songs, but I don't want to, lol... Tabs, yep, I can read them, well except for the stuff that's not there to read, you know the vital stuff like, strums/beats/rhythm!!!! Finding tabs that are complete and accurate seems to be yet another hurdle... My musical taste tend to bounce, a lot, right now my kick is Ani Difranco... FOLK SINGER, this was going to be a snap, right? Wrong... Alternate tunings, finger-picking and other crazy "who-ha" stuff that only Ani knows... : ( Is anyone here fimilar with her style of music???
"If your not trying to make things better, then as far as I can tell you are just in the way"...

#2 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ani is a great picker ... she's got her own way, that's for sure.

How long have you been playing, NK?

#3 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hi Kirk,

Your familiar with her music??? It seems odd to me, but very few people seem to be... How long have I been playing? Well, that would greatly depending on your definition of playing, as for my definition, I have yet to play... : ( And what in the world are you doing up at this hour? What is it 5am over there?~Nikki
"If your not trying to make things better, then as far as I can tell you are just in the way"...

#4 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Ah, and the one song of Ani's that I am working on right now is "Talk To Me Now", I have the chords/ notes down, but I can't figure out what is making the "boom" sound every 2nd beat, is it a rhythm box, or something? I can send you the audio, if you tell me how.... : ) The song seems as simple as any of her's come, without alternate tunnings...

#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hi again ... no, it was more like 7 am. Queensland doesn't have daylight saving.

I'll try and track down that tune myself as I prefer not to share files through this forum ... keep us out of trouble. I'll try iTunes or MSN Music.

#6 OFFLINE   Neilsonite

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Hi, to create that percussive sound she is letting her right hand fall on the strings. It's almost like a normal 'down' strum, but it's directed more toward the guitar itself.

It will take a fair bit of practice to get that technique down, so if you're having any trouble with strumming normally, I'd make sure you get that going comfortably first.

Hope that helps,
James :)

#7 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

Have a look at the lesson here:

http://www.guitarfor...read.php?t=1572

I'm doing what Neilsonite describes every second bar.

#8 OFFLINE   Neilsonite

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:33 AM

Thanks Kirk, I was just thinking I should try to make a video demonstrating that technique! :)

#9 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

GREAT! Thank-you.... So, are you both familiar with her music?

#10 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

WAIT!!! That's not working! I have long nails on my right hand, for picking, (so does Ani), there's no way I can do that....: (...>sniff sniff< ~Nikki....

#11 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Re: Ani's nails....She has developed an innovative style to play the acoustic guitar--requiring press-on nails and electrical tape to keep her fingers from bleeding.

#12 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

Grrr... I've kind of figured out how to get around that by using my knuckles instead, BUT, I'm realizing that it is not ever second beat... I can't really figure out what beat it is... Can I upload a photo??? Or wait, here, I'll post a link to a screen shot from my Audacity, showing the beat finder...:
http://us.f1.yahoofs...hY8n3DB5Pzc4gRi
Hopefully that will work... : )

#13 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Here's a different link that shows 3 different views!
http://pg.photos.yah...lbum?.dir=/c24c

#14 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Grr, I double this post and can't figure out how to delete the duplicate... lol...

#15 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

NetKnockout said:

Grr, I double this post and can't figure out how to delete the duplicate... lol...
Hi Nikki,

Members can't delete their own posts (only edit them). Only moderators and admins can delete posts and threads.

I don't see a duplicate post here but the first link you posted doesn't work.

Let me know which post you want deleted.

Cheers

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#16 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Hi Clancy, well in trying to delete the double post, I found that the only thing I could do was edit it so I edited it to say that I could not figure out how to delete it, lol... : ) Thanks for letting me know about the first link, but unfortunately, the picture posted on yahoo is reduced in size and there not of much use anyhow, is there a way to post a picture along with something with-in the forum???

#17 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hi Nikki,

Yes there is a way to upload pics, all you need to do is:

Write your message, then go down to where it say additional options, then attach files, then click on manage attachments - browse to find the picture on your computer (must be a jpg or gif file), then click on the upload button, when it finishes uploading you will see the name of your picture listed under current attachments. If you want to upload another picture, just repeat the process, browse and find it on your computer and hit the upload button. Then close that small window and then just submit your post.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#18 OFFLINE   Neilsonite

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi Nikki, hope this helps... I've only heard a sample of the song on allmusic, but assuming it keeps that rhythm all the way through, here's how it works...

The percussive slaps can be done even when you have nails provided they aren't too long (I have nails too, as I play a lot of classical guitar). A lot of the slap comes from the side of the thumb as it comes down on the bass strings, and the rest comes from the fingers slapping down in position for the next chord - the fingers end up in position for the next chord, with the nails more or less between the strings. You don't need to be too careful about aiming, but this should be a lot easier than using the back of your fingers.

On the sample I heard, Ani was doing that percussive thing reliably on every second beat, but she was also adding in bass notes (i.e. thumb by itself), which sounds a bit percussive, so maybe Audacity was picking those up.

Anyway, I've tabbed out the bit I heard and recorded me playing it slowly (then up to speed) so you can hear what's going on... Hope that helps,
James

Attached Files

• Attached File  Ani.mp3   771.84K   70 downloads
  • Attached File  Ani.pdf   7.92K   38 downloads

#19 OFFLINE   NetKnockout

• Ex-Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

Wow, thanks James... I'm off to give it a shot... : ) Though, the tabs that I have are a little different:

|-------------------------------------------|
|---5----6----5----3----3----5----1----3----|
|---5----5----5----5----0----0----0----0----|
|-------------------------------------------|
|---3----3----3----0----2----3--------------|
|---------------------------------1----3----|

You have to listen to the cd for the rhythms, but she just repeats this
figure over and over again.

#20 OFFLINE   Neilsonite

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

No worries Nikki, what I tabbed out is the same thing, I just included all the hits you make and their order, which should make it a bit easier. Listening to the slow version on the mp3 should help with the rhythm...

James

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users