JessThrasher

Edge III bridge giving me hell again...

JessThrasher    10

Ok, so I was finally sick of it snapping my strings so I was told to change from 9's to 10's. So I changed it to 10's and that's when it started giving me hell. Every time I tried to tune the strings, the bridge keeps getting pulled up. To try and counteract it, I already increased the tremolo spring tension and it didn't do no good. I tried adjusting the intonation screws but it didn't help either. I've been told that you also have to let the strings stretch if they're a heavier guage. is that true?

Does it require a truss rod adjustment? Or anything a self taught tech shouldn't attempt at home.

oh, and if you have 5 springs and its still coming up, then you aren't tuning it correctly. You're over tuning, most likely, if you already have more than 4 springs installed.

I've had Ibanez guitars my whole guitar life, and I've never had a string breakage problem. I think you're over tuning it, but I can't be sure without talking to you to get more information.

JessThrasher    10
oh, and if you have 5 springs and its still coming up, then you aren't tuning it correctly. You're over tuning, most likely, if you already have more than 4 springs installed.

I've had Ibanez guitars my whole guitar life, and I've never had a string breakage problem. I think you're over tuning it, but I can't be sure without talking to you to get more information.

Edge III bridge only has 3 springs. No wonder its called edge III.

SlickCat    1

Hi Jessica,

The edge III bridge is a floating Floyd Rose. It must be in perfect balance and body alignment to work properly.

My suggestion is to take it to a tech and have it set-up for whatever gauge strings you want to use.

I tried for two days to adjust one for a friend and still couldnt get it perfect. :jawdrop: Techs have the know how, experience and tools to do it right. Also have the tech check your saddles for sharp edges that could be causing string breakage.

It isn't called Edge III because of the springs.

Ibanez originally had the Edge, then the Lo-Pro Edge, then various Edge II and Edge III and now the top-o-line Edge-Pro.

Edge III is a great trem... I'm almost positive you are over tuning, or don't have enough springs.

You can get springs from my friend over at "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used, his name is Rich, from New Jersey (USA) and he'll fix you up. ALSO his website has the BEST info for setting up Ibanez guitars with this sort of trem.

Don't forget I'm very experienced with the Lo-Pro Edge, so ask any questions you need to.

JessThrasher    10
It isn't called Edge III because of the springs.

Ibanez originally had the Edge, then the Lo-Pro Edge, then various Edge II and Edge III and now the top-o-line Edge-Pro.

Edge III is a great trem... I'm almost positive you are over tuning, or don't have enough springs.

You can get springs from my friend over at "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used, his name is Rich, from New Jersey (USA) and he'll fix you up. ALSO his website has the BEST info for setting up Ibanez guitars with this sort of trem.

Don't forget I'm very experienced with the Lo-Pro Edge, so ask any questions you need to.

Can you come onto chat? I"M there right now and I think i might have to talk to you about something. DOn't worry its nothing bad.

datguy    0

Read the post and will now try to adjust for intonation. Just bought a used rg350ex for 120. Dude was desperate and has put heavy strings on. the bridge looks like an equalizer setting with the various positions he has them. G string intonation sucks and was concerned that maybe I was the idiot. Now I see that he just screwed it up and thought he was unloading. I'll post later to give an update.

blackbird55    0

Edge III bridge only has 3 springs. No wonder its called edge III.

Wow you are so smart dude. It may come with only 3 springs, but you can put up to 5 springs on it, just like most other tremolos..Know what you are talking about before you try to criticize something.