coldethyl

Your Favourite Electric Guitar

What is your Favourite Electric Guitar?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your Favourite Electric Guitar?

• Fender Stratocaster
    • Fender Telecaster
    • Fender Jaguar
    • Gibson Les Paul
    • Gibson SG
    • Gibson Explorer
    • Gibson Flying V
    • Other

Carvin. They don't have dealers; they're factory direct, but if they did have dealers, I'd be one. I also have 3 or 4 Washburns and I was a Washburn player for 14 years before I became a dealer for them. I don't play what I sell because it's cheaper for me to buy it for myself that way; I sell what I play.

Man. I don't know what my favorite guitar is anymore. I just got back from a trip to Vegas and a visit to Ed Roman's. Now I'm so confused. In awe, really.

Roman's advertises that they are the "World's Largest Guitar Store". Now that I've seen it, I don't think Ed is given to hyperbole. Lots 'o guitars. Lots. The help is great, too. The guy who takes care of the acoustic inventory is a real class act. I felt like I got the five dollar tour of the international guitar museum. It's not the kind of place where a beginner or intermediate player like myself would dare to plug in, but it was an awsome place to check out.

So, since I'm so confused by the sensory overload of seeing so many (no new Gibsons though) great axes under one roof, I think in answering the poll I'll stick with the simple, traditional, clean, basic beauty of the Telecaster. A little Electric Blues in E or Am and I'm happy.

allthumbs    8
Man. I don't know what my favorite guitar is anymore. I just got back from a trip to Vegas and a visit to Ed Roman's. Now I'm so confused. In awe, really.

Roman's advertises that they are the "World's Largest Guitar Store". Now that I've seen it, I don't think Ed is given to hyperbole. Lots 'o guitars. Lots. The help is great, too. The guy who takes care of the acoustic inventory is a real class act. I felt like I got the five dollar tour of the international guitar museum. It's not the kind of place where a beginner or intermediate player like myself would dare to plug in, but it was an awsome place to check out.

So, since I'm so confused by the sensory overload of seeing so many (no new Gibsons though) great axes under one roof, I think in answering the poll I'll stick with the simple, traditional, clean, basic beauty of the Telecaster. A little Electric Blues in E or Am and I'm happy.

Be very carefull of Ed Roman. There are horror stories about the dealings of this guy that would curl your hair. NEVER do online stuff with him. He has a strict no refund policy even if he substitutes cheaper stuff than you bought.You order a 5000 buck guitar in white,he sends black,no refunds. Go to Harmony Central forum and do a search for Ed Roman and be prepared for the hundreds of pages of very unhappy campers. I was shocked at how angry everyone is with this guy. For every person who has had a good experience with him,there are hundreds who would cheerfully strangle him. I am glad you were one of the lucky ones. He is considered by many players to be the Darth Vader of the guitar world.

Thanks for that opinion on Ed. Personally, I don't think I would ever buy there anyway. In Vegas, I'm just a poor old boy a long, long way from home, and I have a fear of flying with a guitar. What happens if they make you check your gig bag?

As far as dropping cash on gear, so far I've been able to get what I need at the Guitar Center in Totowa, Musician's Friend online or Ritchies in Rockaway NJ. I found guitar salesman to be similar to car guys, some sinners and some saints, and some guys who are sinners one day and saints the next. The people at Ritchies give me the best vibe, I guess, so I like to support them when I can.

gravitas    0
...I'm not sure what your opinion of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai or even George Benson is, but they all adamantly stand by Ibanez and have for quite a while....

Ooh! Brand fight!

Just kidding.

Really, it's all about the sound you want to get out of your guitar. When I play guitar, I like to hear something bright bubbling out of my amp. I have a Strat right now (which I pray to every night :D) and I think it comes from having played Strats and Strat replicas since I was a kid. You know, you get used to a certain sound and you build your style from there. The Ibanez doesen't have the bright sound I'm looking for, therefore I don't like Ibanez.

Ever look at how many doom-n-gloom metalheads play Ibanez? Well, I don't know the exact number, but, sufficed to say: a lot. To accomplish that deep metal motif they need something with a dark sound. And honestly, I really like metal. Guys like Slough Feg, Mastodon, Zakk Wylde, Pantera, Fantomas, Sepultura, Spiral Architect... (Fun fact; I don't think those guys play Ibanez, but I can't think of any of my favourites that do right now!) And accomplished players like Steve Morse, Jon Petrucci, Vai, Satch 'n Benson all have their own signature sounds based around the Ibanez.

I'm just not going to do the same thing ;)

coldethyl    0
I have a Strat right now (which I pray to every night :D) and I think it comes from having played Strats and Strat replicas since I was a kid. You know, you get used to a certain sound and you build your style from there. The Ibanez doesen't have the bright sound I'm looking for, therefore I don't like Ibanez./QUOTE]

I love Stratocasters. I would like nothing more than to be able to afford to get myself a nice Strat, but unfortunately money's a bit too tight to mention at the moment.:drool:

I also love the Les Paul, perhaps more than the Strat, but again money is an obstacle.

(Being a single parent, I have to consider my priorities)

So yes, I would much prefer one of those over an Ibanez any day.

BUT, I guess the point I'm trying to make from all this is that, sometimes we have no choice about the guitar we end up with and maybe that's down to how much we can afford at the time.

In my case, that's the way it was. The Ibanez electric that I have was secondhand (that's okay) and after I had it set-up properly, it plays great and as I said in a previous post, for my taste it has a lovely warm tone.:)

gravitas    0

I was lucky enough to find my Strat used for 250 bucks (and buy it myself) which is around half price. Mexican, Blonde Neck... The pots just needed to be tightened, but that was about it. Damn guitar shop charged me an extra 10$ to whip out a screwdriver and have it done in a few minutes. But if you want a Les Paul, hoo-boy...

New, a Les Paul is anywhere between 3500-5000$. You might be able to get one used for a grand and a half, and that's if it's really crapped up.

coldethyl    0

Well my son just said to me: "dad you bought a guitar last year, and you bought one the year before, so you've gotta get yourself another one again this year."

(he's a good lad)

So, we will see what develops as the year progresses and maybe I'll be able to see my way clear to getting a better guitar. We'll shall see!

jasoncohen    0

I'm a big nirvana fan so i voted for the jaguar..i played my friend's dad's and it had such a nice tone and it was easy to play...i want to get one. I also like my fender stratocaster...but im thinking about putting a humbucker in it...anyone have any suggestions for a good type (brand) of humbucker to put in the strat?

Andy S    9

Hmm... Well, I have a Fender American Standard 40th Anniversary Strat that I really like. :thumbup1: Then again, I have a Dean Evo Special Select made in Korea that I really like to play. :rockon: Then , yet AGAIN, I have a Ibanez AG85trd small, jazz type guitar that is probably the easiest one to play and has a voice all of it's own. :thumbup:

I have been putting more time in on the Ibanez probably since I've been working on some Setzer stuff. But I play the Strat & Dean Evo equal amounts when I want to just play for the fun of it. That is, when I'm not trying to learn anything specific. :D

So my favorite electric is...............the strat, no wait, the Dean.....no the strat, no the Ibanez, no.....argh!! I like 'em all! :eek::eek:

gravitas    0
Well my son just said to me: "dad you bought a guitar last year, and you bought one the year before, so you've gotta get yourself another one again this year."

(he's a good lad)

So, we will see what develops as the year progresses and maybe I'll be able to see my way clear to getting a better guitar. We'll shall see!

So my favorite electric is...............the strat, no wait, the Dean.....no the strat, no the Ibanez, no.....argh!! I like 'em all! :eek::eek:

For those of you who (like me) wish to someday own at least one of every guitar on the planet, I just picked up a back-issue of Guitar World (ie, whose CD has been long stolen and cacheted away), and it was titled the "100 Wildest, Rarest, Most Expensive Guitars of All Time." In it, there was a full body shot of the 550 000$ 1954 D'Angelico New Yorker Teardrop Custom: http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/dangelico/teardrop_dan.htm

That is the poor man's version. Oh man, look at the way the gloss just drips off of it... Swank, eat your heart out.

Of course, if you (like me) must also some day own this guitar, I'm afraid we will have to fight. To the death. :angry:

coldethyl    0
Of course, if you (like me) must also some day own this guitar, I'm afraid we will have to fight. To the death. :angry:

Beautiful axe! I must warn you though, I am a black belt and current world champion in the art of nocando.

Neil:D

gravitas    0

:lol:

Someone's witty tonight.

How about a little wine? You know, the secret ingredient is drugs. :P

Btw, I dig your display pic. I didn't know we could do animated ones!

coldethyl    0
:lol:

Btw, I dig your display pic. I didn't know we could do animated ones!

I originally had an animated one from the movie Psycho, but I like the DSOTM one better.

Neil

jimbeaux    0

That D'Angelico is pretty! I used to take lessons from a guy who had a D'Ang. Sweet sounding. That was 30 yrs ago. I quit playing (trying), never quit loving guitars, started back again last December. Loving it. Using the Jamorama lessons, moving along quickly.

Had a SG Standard back then, bought it for three hundred and something bucks. Don't have it anymore, what a dope! Did a lot of online research and bought a Dean EVO based on most bang for the buck, just to get started again, with a Roland MicroCube. Having fun.

If I had dough to burn, I might get a JET. Every testimonial I've seen says they are way better than a PRS, and boy are they purty. Check this out (I hope this is allowed, none of this is a commercial):

http://www.jetguitars.com/

Click on 'Earlewood' under 'Models'. Yes, that is drool in the corner of my mouth.

munky    0

lpspremiumplusHCS.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Standard for me. While Strats are sweet in their own right, I'll always go back to the set neck singlecut with dual humbuckers. It's the ideal guitar for me.

Grump    0
I was lucky enough to find my Strat used for 250 bucks (and buy it myself) which is around half price. Mexican, Blonde Neck... The pots just needed to be tightened, but that was about it. Damn guitar shop charged me an extra 10$ to whip out a screwdriver and have it done in a few minutes. But if you want a Les Paul, hoo-boy...

New, a Les Paul is anywhere between 3500-5000$. You might be able to get one used for a grand and a half, and that's if it's really crapped up.

Got mine for $600 from ebay (probably should add $75 for setup). It's in pretty good shape too. But I really like my son's Epi too.

I love the looks of the Les Paul style (not that the others aren't great looking as well).

Sorry for the double post folks, slow response today.