Clancy

If we had an audio/video chat room here, would you use it?

If we had one here, would you use an audio/video chat room?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If we had one here, would you use an audio/video chat room?

• Yes, I would use it on a regular basis.
    • I may use it occasionally.
    • I wouldn't use it.

I think it would be cool and useful. A picture tells a thousand words. It would also help for people who are collaborating and writing songs together. Gets my two thumbs up! :winkthumb: :winkthumb:

This would be a brilliant idea , for us beginners to interact with the more experienced players ..

How ever I would have to wear a bag over my head :)

Good idea

Interested in the outcome

I wouldn't use it. I don't want you all to know that instead of an overweight geek in his 30s, I am actually a drop-dead-knockout 18-year-old swimsuit model.

I couldn't deal with the added attention.:oops:

:escape:

I'm hoping the webcam is optional... my study is a mess... and I ain't cleanin it to impress the likes of you folks!

But I did stub my toe on a computer carcass on the way in this morning... it does need a spring dejunking.

Intel3,

That is very nice to know, but I am serious about guitar playing.

And I can see plenty of those at my office. But can always pin up your poster on my office wall.

Dewy,

Don't care about your mess, you should see mine. I am a busy man

who is frequented by many customers who come here for my knowledge and not how my office looks.

We value your opinions in the guitar playing platform.

I was just bein silly... need more coffee before I can get serious today.

Well... I did stub my toe one a P2 433mghtz cpu carcass... I wasn't kidding about that.

I'd be using it occasionally but perhaps not on a regular basis. Sounds like a good idea all the same though.

+1.

I'd also be using it occasionally. I think I could learn quite a bit from the ppl here. ;)

It would be a great idea if you can make it work. Personally, I don't think I would use it very much, but only for the same reason that I don't use the chat. I simply don't have the time. :crying:

http://livejam.jimheidinger.com/ has an interesting Javascript approach. Users can choose to place members of the chat room into a "docking area" to be heard. It keeps the noise clutter down this way.

Of course the latency is the breaking point here for "jamming", but we could swap lessons and such easily.

Dewy, that's the one I was planning on using (userplane). It's actually a javascript embed but it's flash... Kirk has used it a couple of times with Jim (just audio) and said it works quite well. I'm not sure if Jim has video activated or not, but it's definitely available.

Anyway, I've set one up for GFB&B here http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/testchat.html- I wanted to get some feedback on it first before I went ahead and integrated our user database. I've actually set two types up on the test page... one is a messenger type chat (one on one chat) and the other is a chat room.

Anyone can login (just pick a username) - you'll login in as a guest for now... if we integrate it, we'll be able to just login automatically under our forum usernames.

Anyway, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks Clancy

Clancy,

Just tried the new chat forum, pretty cool. Had a little trouble with the computer volume spiking but not bad and fixed by turning mike down. Really pretty cool.

Clancy,

Just tried the new chat forum, pretty cool. Had a little trouble with the computer volume spiking but not bad and fixed by turning mike down. Really pretty cool.

Cool, I guess you were the only one there though knight... Maybe a bit later on there will a be a few members trying it out... If anyone is in there, maybe they could mention it in this thread so others know that they're there. It gets a little lonesome looking at yourself on your own webcam. :)

Clancy

I typed a user name in and nothing happened ..

Is it just me ?

Did you press login Trev? Also I don't think they allow spaces in usernames... just use hilch and see how it goes. Also, it's a popup window, you may have had the window blocked or it may have popped up behind another window.

Clancy

I got in Clancy

It looked kool I chattered with some guys for a little bit , but had family matters to attend to ..

Good work Clancy

I've tried using it a couple of times now, and all works well except for audio on my end. I have no idea why...I have audio for every other application and web site but that. I can see the other folks, and they can see/hear me, but no audio for me. I've even gone through the webcam A/V setup a couple times and it pumps audio out my speakers during the setup. :dunno:

I've tried using it a couple of times now, and all works well except for audio on my end. I have no idea why...I have audio for every other application and web site but that. I can see the other folks, and they can see/hear me, but no audio for me. I've even gone through the webcam A/V setup a couple times and it pumps audio out my speakers during the setup. :dunno:

Do you have the latest version of flash installed Dobro?

Yes, I made sure that was updated as well.

hmm, I actually had trouble with it the other day when I was using the webmessenger part of it. I couldn't get audio through from Kirk... it was funny as it worked perfectly well in the chat room... seemed that when I plugged a mic in my audio stopped working... It told me to update my flash... I thought it was up to date. Maybe it was a bug on the day, I'll try again over the next couple of days.

Clancy

I honestly think it's a setting or something on my end because it was working for others at the same time it wasn't working for me. Has to be operator error in there somewhere.

Userplane uses flash to see your mic & cam ( if you have them ), so make sure you have the latest Flash Player from adobe , as this may be of help ;)

Even though dobro updated we still couldnt get him up and running fully , I could hear him , but he could not hear me :(