Clancy

If we had an audio/video chat room here, would you use it?

If we had one here, would you use an audio/video chat room?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If we had one here, would you use an audio/video chat room?

• Yes, I would use it on a regular basis.
    • I may use it occasionally.
    • I wouldn't use it.

The last couple of days I've been looking into an integrated audio/video chat room for the forum. I know it's been suggested here a few times before, but I'm just wondering before I get into investigating it any further how many members could see themselves using something like this.

Also, we can go one of two ways, we can have it so that it is a chat room where all members are in there together or we can have it so it's more of a messenger type thing (a one on one chat). I think that maybe if we are bringing audio and video into it, it might work better as a one on one messenger type thing rather than a chat room (might get a bit noisy in there)... but I'm interested in any feedback.

I think it could be a fun way for members to jam together... what do you all think? I know most members have some kind of mic... but how many have webcams and wouldn't be too shy to use them?

Clancy

Clancy you are a nerd!!

Well you should be able to recognize one JayJay, being one yourself :)

The poll should be working now. I had to fix some permissions. Sorry about that.

Clancy

I have broadband... but no web camera. but I would enjoy being able to plug my guitar in and jam with someone here.

I agree with the one on one or conferences... as opposed to a single room... that would get noisy.

I think a one on one would be great, but will both pickers be able to pick at the same time, i go to a Chet fingerstyle pickin room all the time but only one picker at a time, works good for Chet style, and a lot of them use backing tracks, but u cant have two pickers at once

Chuck

Great Idea...I like the one on one part, could be a great help in the learning process, and lots of fun with the jam sessions. Need to get a cam, but no big deal and I can edit my face out so as not to frighten anyone.

I think a one on one would be great, but will both pickers be able to pick at the same time, i go to a Chet fingerstyle pickin room all the time but only one picker at a time, works good for Chet style, and a lot of them use backing tracks, but u cant have two pickers at once

Chuck

I will probably feel stupid when I get the answer but, what is "Chet Style"?

Yeah, with a name like eCowboy I'm surprised you don't know about Chet style. Chet Atkins ( Grand Ole Opry) Fabulous picker. See if you can find some of his stuff to listen to. I can't promise to use it but it sounds intresting. I'd be more interested in looking in and listenming from the sidelines!!

I think its a very nice idea. I do use SKYPE quite a bit. But for me it has to do more with connections with Europe on a daily basis.

The problem with Skype though it cannot muti-conferance on video, only voice and up to 4 people at time. One also must remember that you would have to use head phones to prevent speaker feedback and echo.

Meaning, that If I were to play and the other person was without head phones I would hear myself on his audio output creating a terrible feedback. So head phones would be a must.

The audio itself would not be the best because of distortion.

As a chat room, it would be equal to everydody sitting at the dinner table talking at the same time. Of course I'm used to that , ever been at a Polish dinner ? Yikes :drinking::argue::drinking::eek:

Now as far as spot lessons, techno help with visual or video aid,

this would be awesome.

I am surprised that more folks have not used skype communications.

Its free, and you do not need a camera to use it. They will be able to see and hear the person who has one, and as long as they have a mic input the other person will be able to hear them.

Sure saves a lot of typing and messaging.

I only allow people I know to contact me through Skype or with some identifier as to who they are.

Another example, just recent, (mojo) was wondering about how to do note runs through switching of chords. If he were on skype, I could show him how to do it. I don't have to record a video and send it to him, he would see it on his screen real time.

One other thing, its a super way of communicating with family for free all over the world. All thats necessary is the net and a computer on each end. Just what we have always wanted. Better than any phone call for sure.

The ability to talk and see the other person.

well as they say thats my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps Clancy.

eddiez

As far as usage, It really doesn't matter. Its the convience of it that is super even if occasionally.

More so for the important stuff maybe.

As far as shy using the webcam, I suppose I am one of the shyest around. But if we can't accept each as we are

then thats a sad thing.

Yeah, with a name like eCowboy I'm surprised you don't know about Chet style. Chet Atkins ( Grand Ole Opry) Fabulous picker. See if you can find some of his stuff to listen to. I can't promise to use it but it sounds intresting. I'd be more interested in looking in and listenming from the sidelines!!

Thanks Aunt Doty, Chet Atkins did come to mind but I wasn't sure. The name, eCowboy , has more to do with what I do for a living than the genre of music I listen to. My wife listens to country, I like Bluegrass, Folk and Classic Rock.

I think one on one could be a good idea, but maybe give the option for more? So, if you wanted a one on one you could, but also give the option for say, a jam session with 3-4 guitarists? Also, maybe a jam session with say 2 guitarists, and the everyone else could listen?

As for video, I wouldn't use video at all, no webcam. I have audio input, but its crude at the moment. Also, giving the option to record sessions would be seriously awesome. We could have a jam session, and then later post it on one of the recording booth forums. Or, if a member helped someone else out in a particularly well way, they could make it into a video lesson on their lesson directory.

All in all, it would be a great feature if a lot of people used it.

I have voted no one the basis that its proposed as a one on one type set up and doubt I would use that. But I would certainly view if for example some of the more knowledgeable members were broadcasting scheduled live lessons, with the two way communication enabling questions to be asked, or maybe just playing, and the applause at the end could be audible rather than :claping: not sure if this is even remotely feasable.:)

Matt

I like the idea of the video demo of the more proficient players to help us less proficient players out...... Like Eddie suggested with the runs between chords and things like that. I frequently learn bett:D er if I can see a demo. It woiuld be an enhancement to what we already have here!

I would use it at least once in a while.....I think it could prove to be a very valuable tool. Of course that would mean I'd have to go out and buy a webcam......any excuse for new toys. :)

Webcams are not expensive, under 40.00 US for a really good one 1.3mega pix.

But again a web cam is only necessary for showing, not seeing.

Anyone cam see a webcam presentation. BUT YOU MUST HAVE SKYPE LOADED ON YOUR SYSTEM or something similar.

Without using skype, you would have to record a vised than post it.thats the hard way.

With skype the sender just log in, the other person accepts the sender and now they have two way communication for free.

Each can speak to one another if they have a mic, and the person with the webcam can broadcast viseo while the person without a webcam can watch. It's that simple.

Call it the WEBCAM DEMO ON THE FORUM.

Anyone willing to try it I'm game. I have the webcam's. All you need is the computer and Skype loaded on your computer.

Having a webcam would help beginners too. It would be easier for an experienced player to help a beginner if they could see fingers on the fretboard etc.

I use Skype Eddie, so does Kirk. Skype is great but an onsite chat facility would work better I think as the you wouldn't have to really get to know the member before you accepted them as one of your pals... It's a safer more private way of going about things I think.

Clancy

Clancy,

I truely think its a great idea. But the ball is in your court. I have no idea how it would be done.

I very much understand the accect or reject part. I have communication with Steve daily. I did have to reject a request by a younger person not long ago. Adults only for me. And I only accept people I know or trust.

But having access here onsite would be another mile stone for learning. I think it would require some limits though.

On site webcam super idea.

I will probably feel stupid when I get the answer but, what is "Chet Style"?

Not sure but I assume it is refering to Chet Atkins, one of the greats of all time.

Skip

http://livejam.jimheidinger.com/ has an interesting Javascript approach. Users can choose to place members of the chat room into a "docking area" to be heard. It keeps the noise clutter down this way.

Of course the latency is the breaking point here for "jamming", but we could swap lessons and such easily.

I've been on here about 3 months, I've noticed that the chatroom isn't used that much but I think this is probably because members can have conversations through the threads, an audio/video link would probably attract more people and would probably be beneficial to forums such as songwriting, recording, tech etc. If someone had an idea for chords say they could show beginners how they play the tune, if someone has a problem with a guitar they could physically show what the problem is, as regards shyness, it's always hard meeting new people but members talk to each other, over time a rapport is created and people become more confident and trusting towards each other so the shyness should decrease, I like this idea it would open up new avenues for the forum.

Cheers

Chris