Jomi

What's wrong in the recording booth?

Thank you for the contribution everyone I really do appreciate the response.

Clancy, thank you for saying that, :) I was worried I caused offence.

Si16

I'd really settled on the answers provided by Clancy, but then I went and read the article you pointed to. :brickwall:

At the moment (looking at the top of the page) membership is 37019 so 1% of that is 370.:dunno:

All the stuff about 'lurking' or get in, get it and get out - all things I do myself. :)

Starsailor, you're right about shyness - a big issue for me! Your comments are always welcome, thank you for the ones you left for me!

Volfan

I'd love to hear you, go for it! There are some great lessons on recording by Tekker.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Thank you for your response Diredigits (love that name):)

I was terrified of posting too and it was a huge suprise to find that people actually liked my stuff! It encouraged me to write more and I've done more in a month than in the rest of my life. As for being qualified to critique, I don't suppose there are many of us actually 'qualified' but it's nice to try and help. There doesn't seem to be any of the unnecessarily nasty postings here like on other sites - or maybe the moderators are really sharp and cut them!

I think the recording booth is a fantastic place for beginners to 'have a go' I'd love to be able to help (if I can).

Of course if you want to just listen that's fine too, and I respect that.:)

Jomi, Maybe someday in the far off future I'll be brave enough to post. I have never written a song though ,so I'd have to post somewhere else ie: YouTube. The problem is I am technically challenged when it comes to recording even with Tekker's great articles it still sounds difficult to me!!!:hammers::crying:

I think the reasons why more members don't post recordings has been covered pretty well by everybody already. Keep in mind that on ANY forum like this, it's a small percentage of the members who actually post and/or contribute (and as Clancy said - thank heavens for that!). The vast majority of members will have 0 or 1 posts - depending on whether or not they decided to post an intro! I just looked at the members page here - if sorted by post count, our members with 1 post or less begin on page 75 of the member list, and the list is 1105 pages long! At 30 members a page, that means that almost 31,000 members here have either 0 or 1 posts. Perfectly normal, and not surprising in the least.

Any board related to a hobby is going to have turnover, ebb and flow, and a lot of shy lurkers who read (or use the most excellent lessons in our case), but don't post often. There are many who get a guitar, get all excited about it, find a board like this, join up, then put the guitar under the bed a week later when they discover that it's a lot harder than they thought it was, and never come back. Again - common to any hobby.

As far as recordings - I have no illusions whatsoever that I'm anywhere near as good a guitarist/singer as many of the regular posters in the "Recording Booth" forum. There are some VERY good musicians who post here, and it would be ludicrous to use their standards as a comparison. Maybe that high standard discourages some, but I'm shameless. :) I've posted a few clips because I appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism here, and also because it motivates me to try to be better each time. The copyright thing has kinda thrown me for a loop because I'm not much of a songwriter and don't have a lot of original stuff to post, but I'm tryin'!

As far as critiquing others' music - I don't have any qualifications to offer anything useful to most, but I know what sounds good to me and I'll chip in when I can. I appreciate receiving feedback, so I try to return the favor.

Going back to what X4String said - maybe it WOULD be good to have two recording forums - a "beginner" and a "beyond". Would any of you who've never posted anything in the recording forum feel more comfortable and/or less intimidated if there was one dedicated solely to pure beginners, or would it not make any difference? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but it would be interesting to hear some input.

I wish more beginners would post their recordings. I once heard one that was worse than me, and it really encouraged me and made me think that I should be brave too (unfortunately my talent just stepped out, otherwise I'd show you what I mean) :yeahhh:

Aunt Doty,

I was exactly the same about the recording equipment and I've ended up with a couple of mics that I may never use - and they weren't cheap!! Naturally I bought them JUST before finding this site and so didn't have the benefit of Tekkers info. I suppose it's like everything else - it's easy enough once you know how ... well for my standards anyway! :)

Thank you for all that Stratrat :) I never even thought about the people who would buy a guitar and then give up on it when they found that it's not easy!

Thanks Carol m, that's exactly what I'd love to see, as for you being brave youself, you know you want to!! :)

This is me making my first posting here >> :weirdeyes:

Glad I could encourage you carol m :winkthumb:

Brilliant!!

:claping: :claping: :claping: :claping: :claping: :claping:

That was really funny X4