Jomi

What's wrong in the recording booth?

I was wondering why it that this site boasts almost 37000 members yet only a tiny proportion post their music in the recording booth and (roughly) the same people leaving comments.:dunno:

Very good question Jomi....wish I had an answer.

I just post snippetts of my stuff.... shoot..if I started posting full songs, I'd never get any sleep, what with all those women pounding on my door at all hours of the night.:scared:

Brings back the question of maybe a sub-forum for us not yet accomplished players....Me, I've gotten over the fact that most who post their music are way beyond my skill levels, But it was very intimidating at first. A seperate forum isn't really going to make that much of a diff, but it would ease some of the feelings about the arena size if that makes any sense. Stepping into a boxing ring, its one on one of simular strengths, the other side of the coin is like trying to be Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee...taking on the whole gang so to speak..........rambling again, but at least I didn't say it out-loud :)

Jomi,

I can come up with at least one answer. I just started recording myself. So many would fall out from this issue alone.

Many have not left comments in many of the other threads on the site. I know it took me 2 months before I submitted my first entry.

Perhaps some feel they have nothing they could add to a particular discussion, or lack of experience.

Now as far as the Members Lets hear you forum, no explaination.

There has been a very good veriety of music genre expressed there.

So it puzzle's me too.

We don't boast, we actually have that many members... actually more have joined up (over 42,000), but I prune the inactive ones every once in a while.

Most members of most forums sign up, stay for one visit and never return. (I know I have signed up as a member of many forums... I visit one other one on a regular basis and post very rarely). Many people who join up here go straight to the lessons, that's what they are here for... this site is called Guitar for Beginners... most players are not at the stage to post music... even if they do know how to record (that's also tricky for most).

There are a lot of lurkers, people who read but never post. I am a lurker on a few forums. I had one forum I visited every day (more than a few times a day) over a 6 year period and I think I posted 60 times... Forums can also be like soap operas, you get addicted to watching and reading and getting to know people, but you don't necessary want to be one of the characters in it.

You'll also find with most forums when you see the number of members and then look at the number of members online and then take the amount of time the forum has been around, there is no way you would get all those members becoming regular posting members... and I say thank goodness for that! People have short attention spans... especially on the Internet where there's so much neat stuff around.

I think the majority of members who post in the recording booth get a great response here... try posting recordings on some of the other guitar forums if you want to know what it's like to a cold or non-existent response... and some of those have hundreds of thousands of members.

Clancy

I think Clancy's response is right on the money. I, for one, am not in a position to record. If I did post anything that I was capable of posting I am sure that I could decrease the membership by at least half :laughingg: I did play bass for many years, a long time ago, but am new to guitar. I am here to supplement all of the other material that I am using to learn. I do, however, look forward to a time when I can contribute something that can be appreciated. There is a lot of talent that frequents this forum, including yourself Jomi and I am sure that you are not interested in my version of "Twinkle, Twinkle" :yeahhh: .

by the way I luv being a character...in case you haven't noticed :)

It gets a bit like the Young and the Restless here sometimes... actually that's not quite right... here it's more like the Middle Aged and the Restless. :D

It gets a bit like the Young and the Restless here sometimes... actually that's not quite right... here it's more like the Middle Aged and the Restless. :D

I resemble that remark:reallymad: :winkthumb:

I resemble that remark:reallymad: :winkthumb:

Unfortunately I have to include myself in that too Matt! The big 4 0 is looming large. The only way I know to stay feeling young is to hang out with you old guys. ;)

Clancy

Ah!

Now that all makes sense. I am gonna sleep well tonight.

Well, after 3am anyway. Should be getting my beauty rest, but I noticed it ain't helping anymore.

Clancy, I am glad its working for ya.

Should do a poll on age group here. Dinosours are not a myth.

eddiez

Oh how I wish I had the know how and talent to post an original song.And woo be you if I ever do. You people who post in the recording booth don't realize how lucky you are to be so gifted. I can only speak for myself but oh how I wish I could perform like you who are kind enough to share your songs with me via the recording booth. I don't even feel I am qualified to critique your work other than to say how good you sound and how much I enjoyed listening to your playing and singing. Believe me I'm not complaining. I have many talents. It's just in the area of guitar playing and singing I come up more than a little short. I'm a very good listener but a very poor singer. So please just let me listen and now and again make a comment about what a nice job you people do. And I truly mean that. You people sound great!!! Now I'll just shut up and listen.

Thank you for all of the responses :)

Clancy, the word 'boast' used as I did is a fairly common expression, but it was a probably a bad choice - sorry. I know you don't really do that. I got the number (almost 37000) from the top of the page, it's there right now and says 36987.

Anyway, you pretty much answered my question, thank you for that. . :)

Clancy, the word 'boast' used as I did is a fairly common expression, but it was a probably a bad choice - sorry.

No need to be sorry Jomi. I know how you meant it. :)

How about 'The Old and the Listless'? :wheelchai

I can relate to "lurking" on forums.:mellow: It takes me a while to test the waters to make sure there are no sharks. :dunno:Then I try to post where I think that my input has value, that coupled with no expertise on recording to the web has kept me from recording (this is actually to your advantage). And Clancy fear not the big "40" at 60 I feel I have just reached middle age.:cool:

From a personal perspective, I only have Pentium 2 laptop, if anyone knows what I can use on this antique I'd love to hear from you . I'm not the greatest guitar player or singer in the world and I originally came on this site to aid the learning process, but since I've been on I've started having a go at songwriting and I even had a go at tabbing my own song today, I would never thought of this if I hadn't come on this site, I do put the odd comment on the recording booth but you may find a lot of people are quite shy and in awe of the brave guys who are recording and don't really know what to say.

Ps. On the subject of being 40, I decided that when I hit Forty which I have, I would start counting backwards so I'm in my late 30's now, unfortunately if I hit 81 I would never have existed at all which could be a problem.

I did post a recording of myself murdering the intro to Highway To Hell and I'd be glad to torture you fine people with more stellar examples of my mad guitar skillz (laugh!) if I ever get the whole recording problem figured out.

:)

si16,

Wow that was certainly too. But I do suppose that makes Clancy's

and all the moderator jobs easier. I could not imagine having to control 40k users.

I did post a recording of myself murdering the intro to Highway To Hell and I'd be glad to torture you fine people with more stellar examples of my mad guitar skillz (laugh!) if I ever get the whole recording problem figured out.

:)

Bring it on volfan love a bit of headbanging :guitardude: