Kirk Lorange    128

GuitarPro is a very cool little program that displays a fretboard and lets you click notes on and off. You can hear them and it writes the tab as you go. Then you move to a new beat in the bar and eventually build up a whole part which you can play back. It saves the sound as a midi file.

I use it for many of the lessons here. It's pricy, $49US, but worth it if you're serious about your learning tools.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/

axel    0

GuitarPro is definitely worth the money. Love it! I downloaded some GPro files from Kirks lessons. Makes learning them much more fun!!

Fireproof    0

Guitar Pro 5 just released!!! It now has REAL sounds, instead of just midi. SOOO much better. Just installed it today.

(I've been eyeing the software for weeks, and finally, last night, after reading the above posts, I decided to take the plunge. Then suddenly today I get the alert that v5 is out, so I quickly upgraded and it's awesome. I just wish it were about $25 cheaper.

mat79    0

Hello Fireproof,

what do you mean exactly by REAL sounds?

Indeed I'm always very disappointed with Guitar pro sounds. I must confess I only use Guitar pro files from the web to retrieve some drums tracks, and I reuse them in my sequencer with some VST intruments. Maybe the version 5 sounds better?

Fireproof    0

Read their description below. It's MUCH different than just midi sounds, which in my opinion, suck (although they do have a purpose). So when I found out about the upgrade I was ecstatic.

No, it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the recordings, but at least you get to hear fuzz-guitars, distorted-guitars, clean acoustics, etc, etc.

Read this description and then go to the following link to hear samples before you decide whether to upgrade (if your upgrade costs money - I just bought the software a few days ago, so it was free for me).

Information:

Guitar Pro RSE is an audio engine that allows the instant playback of all your scores with ultra realistic sound samples taken from high quality guitars.

RSE Technical Characteristics:

Puce 9 sound banks (2 Nylon, 2 Acoustic, 2 Electric, 1 Jazz, 1 bass, 1 Drumkit)

Puce CD quality sound samples (44100Hz 16bits)

Puce Auto-accentuation and Human Playing

Puce Amplifier and effects pedal simulator (including Wah-Wah)

Puce Realistic playing of Palm-Mute, Dead Note, Harmonics, Hammer/Pulloff effects

Listen to Sound examples...

GuitarPro is a very cool little program that displays a fretboard and lets you click notes on and off. You can hear them and it writes the tab as you go. Then you move to a new beat in the bar and eventually build up a whole part which you can play back. It saves the sound as a midi file.

I use it for many of the lessons here. It's pricy, $49US, but worth it if you're serious about your learning tools.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/

Hi Kirk,

I downloaded the guitarpro software trial. Looks pretty good. The only problem I have is that at first glance it does not seem to let you write notation, only tab but represented in notation. Is that true? Also, sepreation of voices for note lengths... Does it do that? Do you have to sepreate by tracks to accomplish independence in rhythm? Is it easy to do in a flowing manner i.e. holding on to certain voices in a chord while doing a small line of movement of chord tones. You know, all that fingerstyle stuff! :)

Thanks,

Jim

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi Jim ... I upgraded to GP5 yesterday, so I'm still finding my way round, but yes, it does show notation ... go to 'View' ... you'll see it says 'Hide Standard Notation' ... it should also say 'Show standard notation' but it doesn't.

There's a "Let ring" button in one of the menus ... it says in small letters "Let ring" ... you can apply this to any note. I notice there's now a "Let Ring Options" panel too, accessible from "Tools". It's not perfect in that regard, I must admit, you can't tell it how long to let ring, so sometimes you get a note ringing too long, souring the next measure.

I just did the latest lesson in GP4, just because I'm so familiar with it. It seems that 5 doesn't allow you to insert the chord diagrams just above the tab ... it kind of keeps them separate above the whole thing ... unless I haven't found the right button yet. I'll keep screwing around with 5 before I use for real. It does have 'real' sounds, which I have yet to try out.

It's a French product, so from time to time an error occurs and the warning window is in French. I'm biligual, so it's OK by me, but they should look into that. It's pretty damn cool, though ... you'll see.

Kirk Lorange    128

I just found the way to include chord diagrams above the score ... also another way of including standard notation: go to Track Properties (F6, also the little tick in a green circle) ... you'll see it all there.

I just found the way to include chord diagrams above the score ... also another way of including standard notation: go to Track Properties (F6, also the little tick in a green circle) ... you'll see it all there.

Hi Kirk,

What I was wondering was if you could enter notes in standard notation then back fill fret/string positions. I imagine that it is probably tab based note entry though after looking a bit more at it.

It is a pretty good product, best I've seen so far. I'll probably purchase it after the eval period.

Jim

drabbag    0

Im still a little confused about what this program does exactly. Kirk how does your lessons correspond to the program? I notice that you have the Guitar Pro files listed as well as the wmv.... so I guess my question is, how do these midi files appear in the program and how is it a benefit ? Im definitely interested in the program though.

allthumbs    8
Im still a little confused about what this program does exactly. Kirk how does your lessons correspond to the program? I notice that you have the Guitar Pro files listed as well as the wmv.... so I guess my question is, how do these midi files appear in the program and how is it a benefit ? Im definitely interested in the program though.

Just download giutarpro trial 4 or 5 and then click the guitar pro file in the lessons and it will instantly become clear.