Akirakun

Tabbing / Missing thread...

I have just logged in to answer a reply (from Mike_08??) to my thread on tabbing only to find it has gone missing...

Mike, if you're out there and read this I will send you my power tab rendition for the start of Frozen Man (yes, by JT)...

my e-mail if you wish to get in touch is : feathers@ma.kew.net

You can PM your details to Mike if you like Akirakun. We do not encourage the sharing of copyrighted TAB on this forum that's why your thread was deleted. Also, leaving your email on a public forum is unwise. You will be targeted by spam bots.

Clancy

Clancy - thank you for your advice but..

the tab isn't copyright - I'm trying to write down the way I play it (and would eventually share it if I can get to the stage where it makes sense!) I know JT does this more than one way so I would have thought it OK - no different to Kirk's version of say Over the rainbow... I would pm Mike but now that the thread has been deleted I don't know his address....

Over to you?:guitardude:

We try not to allow any material on the site that is subject to copyright. Kirk's copyrighted lessons are currently under review. Expect changes soon.

I just went through my tab bookmarks. Another one shut down. It is happening all over the net so it is not out of order for us to protect this forum from that fate.

Well, certainly wouldn't want that to happen however it seems to me that there is a distinction between using someone's copyright material for financial gain and just sharing ones own musings with fellow fanciers - World's gone mad, I tell you - personally I blame it all on Tony Blair (who, apparently, when he first went into chambers as a young barrister was known as 'She who must be adored"... says it all realy)

We try not to allow any material on the site that is subject to copyright. Kirk's copyrighted lessons are currently under review. Expect changes soon.

Is over the rainbow still in copyright now? I know there is a debate about copyright for Artists ie. Cliff Richard but I've forgotten how long lyrics stay in copyright.

I agree.. this site should be protected.

Would be interesting though to see the dollars realized in increased music sheet/book sales versus the billable hours by the lawyers writing all the threatening letters to the websites. Truly a penny-wise dollar foolish situation.

Can't wait for someone to copywrite all the E,A,B7 chord progressions and claim the Blues their own.

Books like Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), and 1984 (George Orwell) should be required reading by everyone. Parents should require their children to read them because I'm sure that they are not be offered in schools these days.

Michael

P.S. Notice how I gave credit to the authors just in case the Thought Police be on the prowl.

Copyright in the UK lasts for 50 years, which is quite short by many country's standards. In the US any song published after 1922 is under copyright and will remain so until 2019.

Not sure how it works with websites and copyright law. They may have to adhere to copyright law of every country or perhaps it is only the country where they are based. I know a lot of tab sites are based in Russia and that is how they avoid being closed down. Someone more clever than me probably knows the answer.

Copyright in the UK lasts for 50 years, which is quite short by many country's standards. In the US any song published after 1922 is under copyright and will remain so until 2019.

Not sure how it works with websites and copyright law. They may have to adhere to copyright law of every country or perhaps it is only the country where they are based. I know a lot of tab sites are based in Russia and that is how they avoid being closed down. Someone more clever than me probably knows the answer.

Thanks si16, the performers in the Uk are trying to get their copyright extended as people like Cliff Richard didn't write their most successful songs so will lose a lot of money if the rules aren't changed, it doesn't look like an extension is imminent though.

It is a sad fact of life that when authorities want to crack down on things they always go for the soft targets, they'll be a lot of sites with good intentions that will close down while the Russian sites will just keep going and make even more money. It's a shame.

Well, certainly wouldn't want that to happen however it seems to me that there is a distinction between using someone's copyright material for financial gain and just sharing ones own musings with fellow fanciers....

Therein lies the rub.

Where is that line of distinction drawn? Right now, we're on the short side of that line. But frankly, fair is fair. As many here on GFB&B will attest to, we didn't have tab back in the day. We had no way to share the tunes except face to face or swap music books and albums. We purchased the books, bought the albums and painstakingly lifted and reset that needle on the vinyl to replay the riff we were trying to learn. And then taught that riff to others at band practice so they wouldn't have to sit for hours upon hours to figure it out.

I understand, empathize and am "pro share the tab". But in the real world of the Internet it doesn't work that way ...... anymore.

On the other hand, I totally agree with those who go through the trouble to provide a service, such as notation to tab conversion, and they should be rightfully compensated. The publishers gain publishing rights to "print the music" after making a deal with the rights owner. Obviously the rights owner earns a percentage. The publisher either produces in-house and has a payroll to fill or sub-contracts a printer and binder to produce a finished product. Either way its "jobs". They want to stay in business. They want to make money in order to spend money which in turn provides jobs along with local and Federal taxes which in turn provides services such a rubbish pickup and street cleaning..... ad infinitum.

So when the system is bypassed, some poor sap of a type-setter is out of a job, on welfare and becomes a dead beat dad. And through no fault of his own. We stole the tab.

In the meantime here we sit, learning our favorite songs as best we can.

LC