BarryH

Guitar buying nightmares

BarryH    0

Just watched a new programme here in the UK called the 7 ages of Rock. The first one featured Jimi Hendrix, who influenced him and who influenced. Covered most of his later life very thoroughly.

Throughout the prog he was seen playing mainly right hand strats, all were re-strung with the bottom E on top.

The most touching moment was seeing Clapton choking back tears when he said he had bought Hendrix a left handed guitar the day he died and was on his way over to him when he was told the news.

Barry.

OldG    3
He did, for that very same reason. He could also play upside down i.e. a right handed guitar flipped over but not restrung.

He could also play behind his back,through his legs, with his teeth or on any guitar in any state of tune.... but he originally learned left handed.

I'd bet most lefties end up playing a bit on a right hander turned upside down - it's one of the only ways to get to play a wide range of guitars...

@ Barry H, Great program! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series :winkthumb:

si16    10
He could also play behind his back,through his legs, with his teeth or on any guitar in any state of tune.... but he originally learned left handed.

Indeed. He was apparently a fine bass player as well, often preferring to play it in jam seesions to the guitar. There's an interesting article about it here which you might like OldG.

Stratrat    0

Coco Montoya plays a very strange setup - he puts a right-handed neck and bridge on a left-handed guitar body, and plays it strung for a right-hander (i.e., with the treble E-string at the top of the guitar for him). In a recent interview in one of the guitar mags, he explained that he learned how to play on right-handed guitars and never bothered with modifying them so the strings were in a "normal" setup for a left-hander, so he just got used to playing them that way.