BarryH

Guitar buying nightmares

BarryH    0

Being a lefty, buying guitars has always been a bit of a nightmare but that seems much worse recently.

I've been trying to buy an American made Fender strat with a maple fingerboard. I spent lots of time looking in the magazines, on the internet and phoning around the dealers. No chance, Fenders seem to be in very short supply here in the UK.

Not being able to get what I'm after is bad enough but what annoys me more than ever is dealers advertising in the mags and on the internet guitars they haven't got. Worse still the prices they quote are never the true ones, they tell you that was the price for a one-off guitar in some obscure colour they were trying to get rid of, then quote a much higher price than advertised.

Do you guys in other countries have the same problem with dealers, are the Fenders in short supply everywhere?

Regards....Barry

OldG    3

There's a beautiful lefty maple neck Strat for sale here in Northants, I played it and loved it - give 'em a call, check it out....

BarryH    0

Hi Allthumbs,

Thanks for that, it is one of the American Series strats with a maple fingerboard I'm after and I believe all the Highway 1 strats come with rosewood.

I mailed one of the companies that advertise on this forum and got the impression they were not allowed to ship Fenders out of the USA.

Thanks for the help.

Regards....Barry

allthumbs    8
Hi Allthumbs,

Thanks for that, it is one of the American Series strats with a maple fingerboard I'm after and I believe all the Highway 1 strats come with rosewood.

I mailed one of the companies that advertise on this forum and got the impression they were not allowed to ship Fenders out of the USA.

Thanks for the help.

Regards....Barry

Doesn't that drive you nuts. I can't even get some of the U.S. companies to ship to Canada.

I have another friend who is a fender dealer here in Canada. I can ask him if he will ship to you. He can probably get you a lefty standard fender . I see him on Tues. I will let you know if it is doable and prices. If so, you can give me the fine details and I will give you his mailing address. He is a bit of a Luddite so it would have to be a money order. I have known him for 30 years so he is trust worthy.

namiguShin    0

Just a little digression since you asked what's the situation in other countries... I cannot find left handed guitar in my country... :( And all the sellers, when asked, tell me how a lot of people are looking for a lefty... Well then, get them and get rich! :reallymad:

just my 2 cents of crying... :)

btw. I'm in love with LP's... If I had the money, this baby would be mine a long time ago...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LeftHanded-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-?sku=518559

I see it is well rated... what do you think about Epis?

But this doesn't have anything to do with Fenders... sorry for the off-topic... This subject really moved me... :)

P-90    1

I see it is well rated... what do you think about Epis?

But this doesn't have anything to do with Fenders... sorry for the off-topic... This subject really moved me... :)

I love my Epiphone, but Gibson/Epiphone have been having some quality control issues, so there's a definite element of chance involved when buying a guitar unseen and unplayed. The cheapest Epiphones come with mediocre tuners, but the one you're looking at would come with Grovers. If it's a good specimen, the wood and most of the hardware will be fine, and the only thing you might want to replace would be electronics. And that's mostly a matter of taste, some people are quite happy with the stock pickups. If you can find any for sale within a reasonable distance, by all means, try them out. You might find a great guitar for the price.

However, were I paying someone a lot of money to insure and ship a guitar from another country, I'd want to be very certain that I would like it when it arrived; quality control would be crucial. Were you considering doing that, you might be better off getting something like an LP model made by Agile. They're cheaper, very nicely made, and come with Grovers and Wilkinson pickups. And I've never heard any complaints about their quality control.

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitarleft.html

OldG    3

Personally, If I was to invest in a nice MIA Strat I'd have to play it before I pulled the trigger with some serious money.:yes:

I have bought plenty of cheapie's online - but you are talking about a special purchase here, and in my experience some Strats sound great and some don't quite...

As I mentioned earlier - At £699,I reckon a Fiesta Red/Maple USA with a Bareknuckle at the bridge and the slickest action I ever played has to be worth a drive.:yes:

namiguShin    0

Thanks P-90... So, don't think about epi before you try it... I'll have that in mind... Although, they say that about any guitar... :) Makes me wonder how do people buy via MF... It gets a bit tricky if you're not from USA, returning a guitar or something...

All best

BarryH    0

Hi OldG,

Tried the place you mentioned, promised a photo but never got back to me. I guess I'll have to keep on looking.

Barry

BarryH    0

Finally managed to track down a lefty USA Series strat at Peter Cooks in London.

It wasn't until after I read the price list download on Fender's UK site that I realised there's an £100 premium for being left handed on the USA Series and that seems to go higher as the guitars get dearer.

Barry

allthumbs    8

I talked to my fender guy and he said he could get you one for around 550 or so. He will ship it but, that will probably add too much to the total cost after you add in import duty.

BarryH    0

Hi Murph,

Thomann, as many other dealers do, advertise guitars they haven't got. Emailed and rang them, no left handed USA Series strats at all.

Finally got a good one from Peter Cooks in London, excellent to deal with.

Regards....Barry

Dewy    0

It was such an effort for me as a beginner and a "righty" to get my left hand to fret accurately... It always seemed to me that guitars were abidexterous and lefty guitars were odd.

Why can't we all play the same guitars? Why do lefties flip a perfectly good guitar over? Why not just learn to play it like everyone else?

We don't make left handed forks, or cars... its not like bullet casings fly out in your face while your playing it (thinking about a left handed friend's issue with a "right handed" rifle spitting hot casings into his shirt pocket).

OldG    3
It was such an effort for me as a beginner and a "righty" to get my left hand to fret accurately... It always seemed to me that guitars were abidexterous and lefty guitars were odd.

Why can't we all play the same guitars? Why do lefties flip a perfectly good guitar over? Why not just learn to play it like everyone else?

We don't make left handed forks, or cars... its not like bullet casings fly out in your face while your playing it (thinking about a left handed friend's issue with a "right handed" rifle spitting hot casings into his shirt pocket).

Try and play a left handed guitar and you got your answer, dude.;)

Or, ask yourself why Jimi Hendrix didnt learn 'righty'... there were a lot less 'lefties' about when he was learning,I'll bet.

namiguShin    0

Learning fretting motion is a lot easier than picking... Your picking hand has to be very skilled...

I played for a month or so a right handed guitar before I bought my lefty... And I had an "easy" time fretting, but picking was a real pain... I mean, to a beginner, when you watch those players on tv, it always seems that fretting hand is doing all the work, and that picking hand is just waving around... But as soon as you start playing you realize that fretting hand is doing all the same most of the time... And picking is the one which has to be precise, at first, then fast... Not to mention DYNAMICS... And much, much more...

So, to conclude, it's not the same... Your stronger hand should be your picking hand, to give you better control of your playing... After all, you ARE PLAYING with your picking hand, it's the one that produces the tone... Fretting hand is just making the strings shorter than the scale length... :) LOL

As for left handed cars... You have them in Britain, Australia... :D (just joking)

All best

Dewy    0

I have played "Lefty" style... a friend was a lefty and I flipped my guitar and taught him... for a while. Then we debated it... and he flipped his guitar and learned it the "right" way.

When you begin guitar you are a blank slate. Left hand is just as dumb to the guitar as the right hand. Both have to be trained what to do, and neither is predisposed to do either better than the other.

Typing or playing piano are very similar... why don't we have left handed keyboards?

I suppose I should add, to each their own... its just always tugged at the back of my mind... why, and is the effort worth the aggravation.

OldG    3
I have played "Lefty" style... a friend was a lefty and I flipped my guitar and taught him... for a while. Then we debated it... and he flipped his guitar and learned it the "right" way.

IMO potentially limiting his chances of ever really enjoying playing his instrument.It feels alien to play right handed, I know I tried myself - I worked in a music shop playing the guitars and basses if people were too shy to try.

When I picked up bass as my first instrument I tried 'righty' as that was all there was available to me,I could play it ok but couldn't get any soul into it without switching to my natural side.

When you begin guitar you are a blank slate. Left hand is just as dumb to the guitar as the right hand. Both have to be trained what to do, and neither is predisposed to do either better than the other.

I totally disagree! Years of left sided brain dominance can't be changed just like that...

If you haven't noticed yet I feel quite passionately about this, I'm proud to be different and resisted the pressure put on me in early school years to change writing hand.To me it's a basic freedom...I respect your way of going about things, please offer me the same courtesy.;)

As a side note I find operating a first world war bolt action rifle or semi- auto shottie no problem at all, and most run of the mill 'righty' only devices/machines cause me no problem at all. Guitars on the other hand need to be played in a natural way to get the most from them. That's my opinion , now I'll shut up...

si16    10
Or, ask yourself why Jimi Hendrix didnt learn 'righty'... there were a lot less 'lefties' about when he was learning,I'll bet.

He did, for that very same reason. He could also play upside down i.e. a right handed guitar flipped over but not restrung.