chuckswood2001

Cleaning

what do u use to clean ur guitar, im a smoker and my guitars hang on wall next to my computer, they get a film from smoke on them, i dont want to ruin my guitars but need to clean them once in awhile

chuck

Hey Chuck...

How do ya Do???:)

I usually clean my guitar with an old cotton T-shirt, its said that soft cotton fabric serves the purpose best, as it does'nt make any small scratches on the finish.

Its is also a very nice habit to cleanly wipe the fretboard before and after Playing.:) This keps the fretboard healthy !!!

Thats what i do, maybe other people give better ideas, lets wait:D

Hi Bone

Wats naptha??? Can you explain, is it healthy for guitar???:)

yup... just don't put too much... remember to wipe it properly.. (I also use it in cleaning my circuit boards on my guitar effects, cellphone, etc)... after that you may polish your guitar. REMEMBER! always wipe your guitar before and after use.. specially acoustic guitars.. It would help maintain the shinny look of it.;)

Hey Bone,

can you suggest some common cleaning and polishing method for me, cause i dont usually get these products here. and is there a way in which i can keep my fretboard clean and well finished !!!:)

This is what I usually do when cleaning:

(This may sound a bit odd but it works)

Get close and blow my warm , moist breath on the area until it fogs up, then quickly polish off the dirt; it'll transfer to the rag. If the moist breath treatment doesn't work then I usually follow up with a rag dipped in Naptha (cigarette lighter fluid) because I find it excellent in breaking down sticky residues and grease. Then I give it the royal treatment by giving it a polish off with my Martin guitar polish.

Voila!!:thumbup1:

Hey Bone,

can you suggest some common cleaning and polishing method for me, cause i dont usually get these products here. and is there a way in which i can keep my fretboard clean and well finished !!!:)

Use LEMON OIL... don't use other oils like baby oil, cooking oil , etc... it would be sticky after sometime. Just put a LITTLE amount of LEMON OIL on a 100% COTTON fabric.. ;) ;)

POlish:http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Fender_Fender_Guitar_Care_Kit_by_Meguiar_s

I realise that Lemon oil may be recommended by some, but a reliable guitar technician advised me that in the past when he has used Lemon Oil that it felt as though he was wiping kerosene on to the finish.

He believes that lemon oil works it's way into and under the finish, which could eventually lift and the wood to become saturated with oil thus dampening tone.

He strongly advised against using it!

I've heard similar advice somewhere in the past :) , someone please advice !, I personally feel that wiping a guitar with a clean,soft cotton fabric should do the trick with perfection.

^nagakush please refer to my post in this thread page 1^

That is the way I clean my guitar and I've never had any problems. The guitar always comes out looking great, and no possible harm is caused in the process. :thumbup1:

But if you want a good reliable polish, Martin Guitar Polish is IMHO quite efficient and won't harm the finish.

Neil

Naptha is a great, all-purpose cleaner that's highly flamable. Whenever you paint a guitar the last thing you do before you shoot it with a sealer or base coat or color is wipe it down with naptha. It cuts the oils from your fingers left behind and it evaporates very quickly. Naptha is also not a solvent used for any finishes, that I'm aware of. Another material a bit safer than naptha, but still dangerous, is denatured alcohol. Again, good cleasing properties and evaporates quickly. While it's flamable too, it's not nearly as violent in it's combustion as naptha.

I'd suggest a commercial guitar cleaner/polish kit for basic stuff. I've used cleaners like 409, Windex, etc w/o any harm but I knew the finishes were strong and in good shape. Most commercial finishes today are polyurethane and anything other than acid or lacquer remover should be ok, but always test first.;)

Naptha is a great, all-purpose cleaner that's highly flamable. Whenever you paint a guitar the last thing you do before you shoot it with a sealer or base coat or color is wipe it down with naptha. It cuts the oils from your fingers left behind and it evaporates very quickly. Naptha is also not a solvent used for any finishes, that I'm aware of. Another material a bit safer than naptha, but still dangerous, is denatured alcohol. Again, good cleasing properties and evaporates quickly. While it's flamable too, it's not nearly as violent in it's combustion as naptha.

I'd suggest a commercial guitar cleaner/polish kit for basic stuff. I've used cleaners like 409, Windex, etc w/o any harm but I knew the finishes were strong and in good shape. Most commercial finishes today are polyurethane and anything other than acid or lacquer remover should be ok, but always test first.;)

:clap::thumbup1::clap:

where will i get oooo steel wool and what is it best to cover the bridge with

Any hardware store. Ask the clerk for fine steel wool that you would use in fine furniture finishing. Wide paper masking tape would be a good choice. It peels off easily without leaving gum behind.

...i spray my guitar with body spray then light it it goes out straight away if you blow it then i use a duster to run over it a couple of times...just dont do it near your strings for obvious reason :P

...i spray my guitar with body spray then light it it goes out straight away

Is it just me, or does that sound dangerous, not to mention possibly harmful to the guitar?:scared:

well thats how ive been doing it a friend told me and hes been doing it for a good 5 years now....i know its dangerous but im careful enough and never injured myself..and as for my guitars...thier look better then ever :) thanks for your concern tho ... i will attempt a new way of cleaning them but its quick easy and affective.