ragser

How old were you when you first started playing, how long before you bought your 2nd

Just out of curiosity. How old were you when you first started playing the guitar and how long did it take before you bought your second one?

Played some, maybe a couple years as a kid, took it up again last December at 55, bought my 2nd(Squier 51) right after Christmas. I just ordered another, an acoustic electric. Add those to my original dreadnaught acoustic.

I started playing when I was 13. I bought a second guitar when I was 44. We now have 5 guitars between my daughters and I.

Nutty

I bought my first guitar when I was 13 years old; a real cheap acoustic with terrible action. My second guitar was a real cheap electric that I bought a year later (starting to see a pattern?). I believe that I was 16 when I switched to bass and bought a Fender Mustang which I played for many years. I bought my fourth guitar, a Washburn D-10 about 10 years ago at 43 years old but just got serious about learning to play it in the past 6 months.

Started playing at about 20. Picked up a pawn shop special acoustic (Samick) and followed that with a Squier Strat about 2 months later. I've got both of them still, although the acoustic is loaned out right now.

About 19 when I traded an accordion for my first Classical guitar

which I still own today. My second was was purchased thru a friend

about 3 month after.

I started playing when I was 13. I bought a second guitar when I was 44. We now have 5 guitars between my daughters and I.

Nutty

Are you saying you had the same guitar for 31 years or did I misunderstand? If so, what do you have? :winkthumb:

Are you saying you had the same guitar for 31 years or did I misunderstand? If so, what do you have? :winkthumb:

That's longer than most marriages :yes:

Lets see... I was 14 when I told my Dad, "I wanna play drums". There in the shopping center we were at had a music store going out of business, so we walked in for a look around. While I drooled over drum kits Dad talked with the sales rep... and after a few bugged eyed looks in response to the prices my hopes were all but dashed. :crying2:

But the sales rep went into the back of the store and came out with a box... more like a crate... with guitar heads and necks sticking out of it. For $10 we got the five dead guitars lying about in the repair area... and a cool soldering gun. :dunno:

With the keys off the 12 string with the split neck, and the soapbar type pickups from an Epi body I managed to get the strings tight on a Global brand semi-acoustic. :smilinguitar:

The next year Pre-Christmas I was helping Grandma get decorations down from the attic and saw an old guitar case and amp. She gave them to me... a Danelectro and a Fender Champ amp. :jawdrop: For some reason it didn't help me sound like Jimmy Page at all.

When I joined the Army at Age 18 I plunked down the hard cash for a Kramer Pacer.

My first guitar was bought 6 months before our oldest was born, which would have made me 33 years old. I bought my Fender Tex-Mex Strat about a year after that.

Bought my first guitar in January 2004 at age 43. (had played a little when I was a kid, tried every so often after that, never took). It was a Yamaha Pacifica, great for a beginner. Stuck to it, practiced every day. That year for the holidays my gf (now my wife) bought me an Epi LP Standard.

Michael

When I first started playing *which* time? :)

I got my first guitar at about 9 years old - cheapo classical my uncle bought for me at a swap meet. I messed around with it but never got serious, and quit playing shortly thereafter. Don't know what ever happened to that guitar.

Started again in junior high (middle) school with a cheapo Chinese Strat copy - learned my open and barre chords, played in a garage band with a few friends through high school, and bought a cheapo Japanese Les Paul copy from the other guitarist in my band when he 'graduated' to an Ibanez Iceman. Also bought a 12-string acoustic and played with the youth group at our church at the time. A couple years after high school, I quit playing.

...Fast forward almost 25 years to last August, when I decided to "start" playing again. Bought a Strat, then an acoustic guitar shortly thereafter. Since then, I've bought 5 other electric guitars (along with a bunch of other stuff). I still have that 12-string acoustic from nearly 30 years ago, and just sold the old Les Paul copy a couple months ago at a garage sale.

I started playing this January and bought a maple 60mm deep slim bodied electro acoustic (that's it on the left in my avatar) for 170 pounds. Four weeks later I won an auction (by accident, I bid on it not thinking I'd win) on a "well-known-auction-site-where-people-from-all-over-the-world-sell-things-and-people-buy them-blind" and paid 78 pounds for a fabulous Les Paul style hollow bodied jazz guitar, that's just been set up with D'Addario flat wound chrome jazz lite 11's and now sounds gorgeous. Then just last week I bought an Ibanez GA5TCE nylon strung cutaway electro classical, slightly narrower neck that a full tilt classical but wider than my other guitars and even in my hands sounds beautiful. No more guitars for me now on pain of death !!

My parents gave me my first guitar for Christmas in 1963 a Sears model (whatever that might hav been). I bought one, a Stella back in 1985 and didn't buy my second until last month when I bought two, a Squire '51 and a Fullerton Strat copy.

I started playing at the ripe old age of 52, got my second guitar as a gift, an Esteban acoustic/electric, 6 months later. @years have gone by and I now have 8. But there is always room for one more. My newest is an epiphone SG. By the way I play left handed.

Old Man Down The Road

The journey's long, so enjoy the trip

Bought my first guitar for £5.00 when I was twelve, gave up playing, but found the guitar last year in my mums attic been there for 33 years needs a bit of work though.Got the second when I was 30 gave up again but still have that. A friend and neighbour gave me a yamaha guitar before he moved house on the understanding I learn to play it, guitar sat in my room for six months, picked it up about a year ago and had a go on it and I've been playing it ever since, so I kept my promise.

I started playing guitar for like 3 months ago and it was a coincidence that this whole thing started. Me and some friends made a bet that we'd stay away from everything that had anything to do with computers and televisions for a week to prove that we weren't addicted to them. Of course we got bored as hell as soon as we went home. One night that week when I was at a friends house I found this really old guitar in an old room, when we were playing cards. I kinda got stuck there all night just tapping on the strings over and over. I didn't know a single chord back then. When I got home that night I started thinking about what it'd be like if I put my time into playing an intrument instead of watching television and spending my time in front of the computer. I had always been saying that I'd wanted to start playing the guitar so I just went for it. I went to the music store and bought a Cort AD850 steel stringed acoustic guitar. Lovely guitar. I've been playing every day ever since and my fingers still hurt a bit even thought it's been 3 months :smilinguitar: If we hadn't made that stupid bet. I probably wouldn't be able to play any chord at all on a guitar by now.

Now I'm looking for my second guitar, an electric. Don't know what to get yet though but time will tell. I was 18 when I started playing btw.