allthumbs

Usefull software link

nagukush    0

Thanks allthumbs !!! so nice of you to share !!! hey can you suggest what is the best way to record my acoustic on the pc (any good rec software???) i currently use audacity, which is freeware but i'm not sure whether its good...

anyways thanx mate !!!!

Regds

Kush

allthumbs    8

Audacity is popular and gets the job done. Tell us what your whole set up is for recording. It does sound like your having volume problems with all that snow in the background. Make sure your volume slider on your pc mixer is on full and adjust the over all volume with Audacity.

nagukush    0

Hi allthumbs

I dont know what are all the things that i have to mention in my setup :

But i'll try :

GUITAR:

---------

I have a cheap guitar called "GB&A" i think you would not have heard of it even !!:) , but that was all i could afford at the time i bought and now i'm planning to get a Yamaha F-310 (which is the best guitar available in the nearest city to my town).

My current acoustic has a in-built mic (not a pick-up) and can be connected to the pc. Should i use the "Line-In or Mic" to connect it to PC???

And i have an external mic also, which can be placed infront of the guitar (i did it this way in my last recording)

KINDLY HELP ME ON HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF VOLUME SETTING ON THE PC, SHOULD I USE ANY OTHER SOFTWARE FOR RECORDING ???

My Pc has a inbuilt 5.1 sound card (not any high-end soundblaster etc.).

Please suggest !!!:helpsmili

Thanks and Kind Regds

Kush

allthumbs    8

You will get a cleaner sound using the on board mike on your guitar rather than the external mike. Go to your control panel and click the audio sound icon. Then click the Audio tab. Click volume and adjust the volume sliders as high as they will go.

If you record directly from your guitar, use the line in. Use the mike in for an external mike.

if that doesnt give u enough volume, u might try a phono preamp used for turn tables, i run my guitar thru my stereo then into my pc and it works pretty good, and i can use the volume and tone controls on my guitar also

chuck

allthumbs    8
if that doesnt give u enough volume, u might try a phono preamp used for turn tables, i run my guitar thru my stereo then into my pc and it works pretty good, and i can use the volume and tone controls on my guitar also

chuck

Good point Chuck.

nagukush    0

Dear Chuck

Wats a phono preamp ??? Where can i get it??? should i connect the acoustic thru it to my pc???

Kindly Suggest, i will try to get it.

can you suggest which company or model is better.?

As i think, a guitar's output is a mono and how can it be converted to stereo??? and again how can a stereo input be given into a mono "line-in" input of a computer???

REgds

kush

allthumbs    8

You need to look at costs. Do you have a stereo with a mike in and line out? You could use that. Basicly your looking for anything you can use as a pre amp to boost the volume. In another thread on this forum I have mentioned using a Bad Monkey O.D. pedal for the job. Not really geared for acoustic,but should work. Your getting one at a resonable price with shipping from the states would probably kill that idea. You could go to a second hand music store and look for the cheapest mixing board you can find and use that since you just basicly need a line in,line out and volume control.

You may be getting ahead of yourself. See if your guitar plugged directly into your sound card does the trick first.

One thing we haven't mentioned yet is to buy a small practice amp that has a line out that you can plug in to your sound card.

nagukush    0

Hi Allthumbs

Actually i have a small guitar amp which i bought for my electric. It has a input and an output, can i use that to connect to my pc ???? Thanks for caring.:)

Regds and care

Kush

ok, here we go, i use my stereo amp and speakers for my comp speakers, i run the output from my pc to tape 2 input, then i run tape 1 output to pc line in or mic in,this allows me to copy cassettes and albums to my pc, (which i have over 10,000 songs) i made a switch jack setup so i can switch from tape input to stereo or guitar, i made my own adapter to do this, u can buy adapters that will take stereo phono jacks down to just one jack, thats how i use mono for guitar, im playing the guitar thru both stereo amps at same time, it takes a little playing around to set it up , but if u have a stereo uses seperate components or has a aux input u can do it, takes a few cords but im a do it yourselfer and like to play with this kind of stuff

chuck

the output from your amp migtht work ok, if it comes out before the power amp part, which is prob the way it is, that way its coming out of the preamp before going to power amp, u just have to get an adapter to change it from 1/4 in plug to stereo 1/8 inch to go in line in on comp

chuck

allthumbs    8
the output from your amp migtht work ok, if it comes out before the power amp part, which is prob the way it is, that way its coming out of the preamp before going to power amp, u just have to get an adapter to change it from 1/4 in plug to stereo 1/8 inch to go in line in on comp

chuck

What Chuck said. Just set the amp to play as clean as possible. The adapter only costs about 2 bucks so your good to go. You are gonna be real happy with the sound of your next recording.:D

nagukush    0

Hey but, i dont get one thing, how ill the "1/4 to 1/8 STEREO" adapter go in to the line-in of the computer, which itself is a mono. :unsure:

sorry if i'm irritating you guys , but i really dont understand this. Hope you are not mad at me.:)

kush

the 1/8 th jack in the back of ur comp is stereo, or at least should be, if u look at the jack that plugs into the comp u will see that it has a piece of platic part way down the shaft, that is where it seperates the right from the left on the stereo part, ur guitar amp should only be mono, so u have to us the adapter so i will play on rite and left channels at same time, i dont know what u have for stores over there, but here we have radio shack stores and the people there can help u fig it out

chuck

nowhere-man    0
Hey but, i dont get one thing, how ill the "1/4 to 1/8 STEREO" adapter go in to the line-in of the computer, which itself is a mono. :unsure:

sorry if i'm irritating you guys , but i really dont understand this. Hope you are not mad at me.:)

kush

Hi Kush, this link may help you with info about home recording, I hope . It may be a starting point if you follow some of the other links.

Really enjoyed your fingerpickin', looking forward to the next one.

Are your fingers sore from typing all these posts? :)

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_record_guitar_on_pc.php

Good luck :thumbup1:

nagukush    0

Thanks Nowhere-man !!!

The link is great !!! Thank you for the compliment on my first song recording !!!:)

Actually on hearing the other recordings here, i felt that mine is junk !!! and i really want to record well on my pc,(being in india i dont have many options though) thats why so much of typing, infact they are getting a bit sore now...lol :D

Thanks for caring mate !!!

Regds

Kush