SGK531

Beginner looking for first guitar, needs advice.

P-90    1
funny you should review it, mine just came in the mail three days ago. :yes:

That's great that you managed to get one! How are you liking it?

clefless    0

P-90, did you check inside the tuner? There was a plastic wrapped 9 volt inside mine. The tuner itself is so - so. I find it hard to get an accurate reading off of it.

P-90    1

You're right! It seemed so light I didn't even look for a battery. :oops:

I missed what you noticed about the pots, too... they do seem to be linear taper, and don't do anything to my bridge pickup, which seems like a strange design choice. I must have gotten too wrapped up in the horribly wrong setup to notice as much as I might have. The neck is so great you want to play it right away, but between the bridge adjustment and stretchy strings, that's very hard to do at first.

Since I already play a guitar which has a single, noisy bridge pickup, I tended to stick with the hum-cancelling 2nd and 4th switch positions, and never tried the bridge pickup alone.

Ah, well... so it was a learning experience which will make me a better reviewer next time. At least it wasn't one of those "this guitar stinks!" learning experiences. I've always kind of agreed with the Danelectro design philosophy, that if the neck is really good, it will tend to be fun to play despite other shortcomings. I expect the electronics on inexpensive guitars to be questionable, so those didn't disappoint me; they're easily and cheaply replaced, and I planned on it. I guess you feel the same, since you already had Guitar Fetish pickups waiting.

I eventually got around to opening mine up, and found a way to improve bar spring performance: the plate which anchors the springs was only partially screwed into the body, so I managed to tighten them up quite a bit just by screwing the plate in another 1/4" or so.

I also found that there was a very large hole connecting the routed out areas in the front and the back of the guitar -- they didn't bother patching it up like they did in yours. It's ugly, but I doubt that it will harm the structural integrity of the body. Worst case, it will interfere slightly with the effectiveness of shielding paint.

Anyway, it's a bit of a project, but considering what I paid, I'm perfectly content.

clefless    0

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. The neck is worth the asking price. There were no raised or visibly (at least to the naked eye) raised frets or any other harmful defect. I've got a lung full of glue that is bothering me from the work I've been doing on it, but all should be well in a couple of days.

This is a project guitar, a practise run before I gut my Les Paul and upgrade its electronics (for sound this time). In the end I hope to have a fun little guitar that I can take anywhere and not worry about anyone stealing it.

I've discovered I like this kind of work. It has peaked my interest and I might look into more complicated lutherie projects in the future. My only worry is that it overshadows my regular practise time. I still have tonnes to learn about playing.

fly135    5

"the plate which anchors the springs was only partially screwed into the body"

Apparently the screws should not be screwed all the way in as it restricts the motion of the tremolo. I noticed this when I screwed them in and then had to back them out. Overall the Fullerton Strat was a steal at $55 delivered. Not being setup didn't bother me as the hex wrenches were included and I could set it up right in my office where I received it.

clefless    0

That's good to know. I botched something already. The screws were unevenly screwed in at an odd angle, odd depth, and they were bent. I took them out, filled the holes, and re-screwed new screws in but made the mistake of using brass wood screws, I sheared the head off with a single twist when it was right about where I wanted it (just slight tension on the strings so that they won't fall off when there are no strings attached).

SGK531    0

So I got my fullerton strat early may-ish (blue right-hander, deluxe package), and its been about a month, so I thought I'd mention nothing has caught on fire or fallen off yet! I like it, and all the stuff that came with it seems okay, except for the tuner, which is a piece of crap, and that's if you can actually get the battery in. I'm going to change the strings really soon, as I don't think the strings that came with it are really any good. All in all, I don'tregret buying it as my first guitar...

My fingers hurt.

Stratrat    0

The tuner issue is cheap and simple to remedy - a Korg GA-30 only costs about $15 and does the job nicely. Getting a half-decent guitar at that price makes a throwaway tuner and cheesy strings pretty easy to swallow! :) Congrats, glad you're enjoying it!

....oh, and those fingers will stop hurting in a few weeks. :D

SGK531    0

And is it just my imagination or is the neck on the fullerton pretty thin near the top? I mean significantly more so than other guitars? And will this make it harder to play up at the top frets?

P-90    1

Narrow, you mean? It's 1 5/8" at the nut, which is the Fender standard. Non-Fender types are usually 1 11/16". So it might be 1/16" narrower than what you're used to. Whether or not that's good or bad depends on how fat (and how long) your fingers are. I prefer a wider neck, because I have big fingers, but people with smaller fingers often love the Fender-style neck.

JessThrasher    10

I've never been a fan of Fenders or any starter packs. They often come with missing stuff and improperly set up guitars that seem like they're going to fall apart any minute! Because people at the music shop are usually not allowed to open the packages. At the music store I work at, we just have one opened starter pack with everything together inside a display case.

Buy all your stuff seperately instead of a package. It may empty your bank account abit quicker, but atleast you're getting better quality stuff.

Please don't take anything I saaid personally. I intend no offence or anything. But I know because I've had several complaints from customers. What I end up doing is giving the customer the missing part seperately for a discounted price.

JessThrasher    10

And also, tremolo systems (whammy bars) on cheaper guitars tend to REALLY detune with anything from a small bend/vibrato to an octave divebomb. Yngwie Malmsteen has his strat tremolo set up so it returns to the same point every time. I don't think it's worth it on a beginners starter strat, because by the time you decide to go whammy crazy, you probably already have or GAS'ing for a guitar with a floyd rose.

fly135    5
What I end up doing is giving the customer the missing part seperately for a discounted price.

If I buy something that missing a part, I'd expect to get it for free. Considering that I've already paid for it. In my local area you'd be nuts to buy a starter pack. People are continually giving away practically new stuff for less than 1/2 price on Craigslist. Squire strats are like going for $75 all the time. It's like an after xmas giveaway 365 days a year.

knight46    2

Absolutley correct Fly, and as to the neck on the Fullerton, that alone makes the guitar worth $60/including shipping. It is slim and fast, with a rosewood fretboard and I have not noticed any problems with the width.

SGK531    0

Thought I would just come back to give a little bit of a warning. I picked my Fullerton strat up and saw two metal things on the floor. Turns out it was a little screw-on lugnut type thing and the washer that goes on the input jack (I don't know if that's the correct terminology). Just thought I'd warn owners they can come loose and fall off. But it was no big deal, just put the washer on and screw the nut back on.