Dewy

Widest Fretboard

I'm checking around to see what guitars have the widest fretboard.

I need an Electric and an Acoustic... but will have plenty of time to shop.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm..I'd say pretty much any classical guitar for a really wide fretboard as far as acoustic goes. Electric isn't my dept really....

I don't think you're going to find too much difference in the electric catagory. The LP is wider at the nut than a Strat but not by much 1.695 to 1.6875 (inches). The LP has a shorter scale so it looks wider.

I can't imagine a guitar manufacturer making a mainstream guitar with demensions too far away from the standard. The average person would find it too difficult to play because their muscle memory would betray them. The guitar would not sell to the mainstream.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Hear me out before you laugh - If you're looking for a Strat-type guitar, try one of the Squier '51's when you're out shopping. I don't know what the specs are and I haven't measured mine with a ruler or anything, but when playing, it feels noticeably wider than my Tele and/or Strat necks....enough so that it takes me a couple of minutes to adapt to it. YMMV.

Stratrat is right about the '51 it does seem wider if you can find one. The GC in Mobile had three when I bought mine a couple of week ago. The '51 also has a chunkier neck (not sure if this terminology is correct more distance from the face of the fretboard to the back of the neck) and I am not sure if this makes it simply look wider.

I have very large fingers, both long and fat tipped. I used to have a 12 string I kept strung as a 6 and loved it.

I also know my 22 fret Dean has a very tight fret grouping from 12th fret to 17th... and my fat tips are clumsy in that space. I diddled with a 24 fret Dean in the store the other day, and it was nice having a little more space in between the frets in the same area. It was still a little narrow @ 12th fret though.

My Ol' Gibson seems to be extremely wide at the nut compared to the Dean, I may break out a tape measure and send some specifics later... been a rough week so far... hard to squeeze in time for posting.

:isaynothing:

If you want a wider neck, Don't go for a guitar designed for shred/metal. Those ones feel like nothing really, they're designed to allow the player to move their hands fast. Ibanez's Wizard necks are definately not what you're looking for.

This is going to be a double-edged suggestion, because the guitar in question is idiosyncratic in some respects. But I visited one of my brothers today, and we had a guitar-playing party. I had my LP Jr with me, and he had a Strat, a MIM Tele, an old LP, a Washburn OE30, and a Danelectro U2 he brought out. The Danelectro's neck seemed a bit roomier than any of the others. But that only matters if you can live with your sole electric having that Dano sound. Similar to a Telecaster, but smooth rather than edgy, with a very unique sort of coloration. If you like surf/British invasion/psychedelic sounds, you might adore one. Otherwise, it might not be the best choice.

EDIT: Just looked at your band's myspace page. Some of the band's listed musical influences would be fine on a Dano, but those might not include Hendrix, Rush, Joe Walsh and Whitesnake.

Oh well, it was a thought.

My first Electric was a Danelectro... loved it, big wide FLAT fretboard... but those lipstick case pickups were dead... mine was an original masonite model... black and white just like ol' Page's.

I have never got to try out a PRS though...

Hmmm... P-90s (either dog ear or soapbar models) are a tiny bit wider than Danelectro lipstick pickups, and are anything but dead... some routing would be required, obviously, and the pickup wiring would probably have to be changed from series to parallel, but it wouldn't be an especially difficult mod. Doing that to an original would be a crime, but doing it to a reissue might not be bad at all!

IF I still had it I would just get some hot new lipstick case pickups... but you can't "route" those guitars, they were basically semi-acoustics with masonite for a front and back... I wouldn't go near that with a tool...

The Idea has crossed my mind to find a nice strat type 12 string electric and just make a few hardware adjustments... new bridge and nut... then do an intentional hack job on removing the excess headstock. Image being everything of course... the guitar must look somewhat tortured to make that mournful music.

On a similar note Thinking about distressing my Dean Evo out a bit... too new and shiny to moan properly. Some Cigg burns, string cuts and inlaying some brass lettering... to add mass.

Yeah, I loved when the local dealer here sold the Seagull brand, they were sweet. Too bad cash was a scarce commodity at that time.

All I have here is a Tape measure... looking for a set of calipers to provide proper measurements... and learn what they mean and how they apply once and for all.

Dewy,

Did you check to see what a replacement fret board and fretting cost's ? A replacement board angled back to the neck with a wider foot print is possible.

Nahh, to start with, no one capable of that in an hours drive of here... nor do I have a guitar that warrents that expense.

Just looking ahead to my next purchases.

Right now I'm playing a bolt-on neck Dean... and have considered compound radius necks and fretboards as replacements... but again, a $99 guitar that plays great doesn't scream out "replace half of me"!!

But, as time slips beneath me I know I will be spending some cash in the future on guitars... and thought I'd get some feedback from the folks here on various brands or styles of necks to look at.

Something that is of course well worth reading is the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerboard