Champloo

A few newbie questions

Champloo    0

I am planning on buying my first guitar.

When I look online for acoustic guitars,

I found out something call acoustic electric.

What are the differences between a regular acoustic and an acoustic electric?

Do the sound the same?

Is an acoustic electric suitable for a beginner?

Then I looked at the sticky post on the top which is about acoustic guitars. It says it is better to have a solid top,

and I saw a Washburn EA8B Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar online for $180 USD.

The description of this guitar says:

Top: Spruce

Does it mean it doesn't have a solid top?

Is it a good guitar for a beginner?

:helpsmili

D-Dawn    0
I am planning on buying my first guitar.

When I look on line for acoustic guitars,

I found out something call acoustic electric.

What are the differences between a regular acoustic and an acoustic electric?

Do the sound the same?

Is an acoustic electric suitable for a beginner?

Then I looked at the sticky post on the top which is about acoustic guitars. It says it is better to have a solid top,

and I saw a Washburn EA8B Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar online for $180 USD.

The description of this guitar says:

Top: Spruce

Does it mean it doesn't have a solid top?

Is it a good guitar for a beginner?

:helpsmili

Acoustic has no electronics and Acoustic Electrics have pickups inside them so that they can be played thru an amp...just like an electric. Of course you'll not really get an electric sound out of it..just an amplified acoustic sound.

Top spruce does not always mean it is a solid top. It will usually tell you if it is solid.

I recommend actually going to a shop and picking around a bit on different guitars to get the feel of what you might like and the sound too. Every guitar is different-even if it is the same model. You could play 10 of the same model guitar and depending on make etc, each could sound and feel different.I always play the exact guitar I want to buy. I've made the mistake in the past of letting the shop give me the same model, new in the box and hated the sound compared to the one I played off the wall.

If you feel you need to be amplified, you as a beginner can choose an A/E. But I personally find they lack in cleanliness (sound, unless amplified...) until you get up into the higher end models. My .02 best of luck with whatever you get!

and oh yeah, WELCOME to GFB&B! :)

allthumbs    8

An acoustic-electric will not generally be as loud as an acoustic unless you get a higher end guitar. Solid top acoustic electrics tend to feed back at lower volumes than laminate tops. The quality of the electronics also has to be considered. You need an acoustic amp to accurately reproduce the sound of your guitar though you can use a regular amp at lower volume. Lots of things to consider. I think Dawn gave the best advice. Try one and an equivalent acoustic and see which you prefer.

Stratrat    0
Thank you all!

I was thinking about buying one online, but now I think I have to go to a local store to try them first.

Most people would tell you that you'd be making a very wise choice to go 'try before you buy'. All the user reviews and advertisements in the world won't tell you how a guitar will sound to you, or how it will feel in your hands. Play as many as you can and buy the one that you fall in love with!

As D-Dawn said - if a guitar has a solid top, it will usually explicitly say so in the specs (i.e., "solid spruce top"). If it says "spruce top", "select spruce top", etc., it's probably a laminate.....which doesn't necessarily make it a bad guitar, btw.

starsailor    20
Thank you all!

I was thinking about buying one online, but now I think I have to go to a local store to try them first.

As you're starting out that's the best thing to do, it might be a good idea to get one with a fairly low action with the strings closer to the fretboard it makes it easier for a beginner to get the chords, nothing worse than a high action guitar when your new, breaks your heart not being able to nail a chord, just my opinon though.

Good Luck

Chris