danthelion

What inspired you to learn guitar?

Ben Harper, JT, The Eagles, Chet, were the inspiration. But it was basically what music did to me on the inside and I wanted to be able to do that to myself without throwing on my ipod and not being able to express how i felt with my words and emotions and whatnot. Lap Slide guitar is coming and that will help me do this even better! Its hard and frustrating and has takin me on many ups and downs, but its been fun. Thanks everyone

For me, it was only 1 guitarist that get me to practice guitar: Slash from guns 'n' roses.

His solos are incredible and his feeling too, and I knew I must walk on his path :smilinguitar:

But now, playing 1.5 years ago, I discover a lot of other amazing guitarists, and get interested in more style than just hard-rock, finger-picking is one of this style that I love to practice :clap: , I like listen to blues and jazz too anyway :)

A few inspirations:

Carlos Santana. This man is one of the best musicians I have ever heard. The way he makes the guitar show emotion drew me in.

System of a Down. I love this band and their guitar work inspired me.

Avenged Sevenfold. Another band I love. Seeing Synister gates jam live (although I had started playing by this point) made me want to pick up a guitar myself and play like that.

I'd had a guitar for about a year before I got serious about it. I went to an Arcade Fire concert in Winnipeg and it was like one of those revival meetings. You could feel the real power of the music, and it shook my soul right up like a soda can.

That night, I came home and picked up the crappy Peavey I had and whacked out until dawn. A few weeks later, I bought a better guitar (my trusty Godin) and never really looked back. I suck hard, but I love to learn everything and anything about the noble art of guitaring (yeah, it's not a word, but it SHOULD be)

I will admit (shamefully) to being motivated somewhat by jealousy of the virtuoso players in my school (we have a few). I'm not real proud of that >.<

I'm only fifteen, so I guess I have a lot of time. Love this fourm by the way, really awesome atmosphere.

Gibb

i went to an in flames concert about 2 years ago, well 2 and a half now, but yeah, the guitars and their antics on stage fired me up about playing a rock instrument. i think what got me on guitars was mike einziger. he is an amazing guitarist, and he is multi genre talented. i picked up my mitchell acoustic and played drive for my first song, even though it was extremely hard at the time...

I always wanted to play since I was 5. I didn't get a guitar until I was 14. I tried to learn then, but the book that came with the guitar was hard to understand(still is). This year I decided to try and learn again when I found some instructional videos. Unfortunately my guitar broke yesterday.:crying2: I accidently knocked it down. It didn't appear to be broken until 20 mintues ago. I was tuning the guitar and I noticed something was seriously wrong. When I tuned a string it sounded perfect at first, but a couple of minutes later it sounded awful again. I kept looking over the guitar and saw nothing wrong. So I kept tuning, but the strings still sounded awful. Then when I looked again at the back, the fretboard broke off of the body of the guitar.:mellow: Hopefully I can get a new guitar soon, so I can practice.

DKN that is really bad man... sorry 'bout that...

I wanted to play violin from the time i was 7... My parents said it was too expensive so they arranged for lessons with my aunt on the guitar. I had two lessons and she said tht she could not do it anymore... out went that Idea... 11 years later I heard a friend which I hadmet a day or two before, play the guitar. I was hooked, saved up and bought my first guitar with my first ever paycheck after school... Slash, Gary Moore, Kirk Lorange etc. They are all inspiration now. Everybody and anybody that plays better than me is an inspiration... :thumbup:

I fiddled around with a violin the other day and it sounded horrible... Guess my focus shifted cause I dont want to play it anymore...

Avenged Sevenfold. Another band I love. Seeing Synister gates jam live (although I had started playing by this point) made me want to pick up a guitar myself and play like that.

good guitar, and good band...except for the singer. i know alot of their songs on guitar...

good guitar, and good band...except for the singer. i know alot of their songs on guitar...

i think the singer is one of the best ones in the band, he can growl as well as scream, not many singers can do that, i know it is your opinion and i hope you dont think im trying to be disrespectful but i dont know why a lot of people hate on M shadows

no its all good, like half my freind's fav. bands are aveged sevenfold (grammar?). i just dont like his high pitched stuff, thats all.

was a song called patience by guns and roses that actually had me sit down and dedicate myself. my gf at the time loved that song, so i learned it and 4 years later i played it at our wedding.so my wife inspired me. before that it was just cause i thought people in a band got the women i was 14 so yea all i thought about was women.i still play and sing it every year for our anniversary.

I sucked at sports, so I had to do something to get girls!:D ....hey, don't laugh, it works.

It does?

My guitar mojo has never worked for me!