danthelion

What inspired you to learn guitar?

I have had several inspirational moments that made me want to play guitar:

My friend Adrian play guitar 20 years ago, it was the 1st time I met anyone who could really play fingerstyle guitar, & he could play any song that we requested & brilliantly, it just blew me away, I knew then that I wanted to learn!

Hearing John Williams play 'Cavatina'.

Watching another friend play 'Blackbird'.

Seeing & hearing 'Recuerdos de la Alhambra", hearing tremelo for the first time, wow!

Anyway that's me what about you?

I always wanted to play the violin, but my parents told me it was too expensive... I play guitar instead, and i am very glad about it. The buddy with the old gibson from one of my other posts actually shared a dorm with me and he would play a couple of songs after work. We'd sit around and sing songs about everything... I asked him to teach me to play and that is when the guitar bit... I am now glad i rather play the guitar than the violin... (I picked one up a while back and tried to play and it sounds horrible, It would take years to get to where I am on the guitar and I am still wanting to go further in the guitar) Violin players have a limited base of appreciative listeners...

a friend of mine when i was 15, about 1961 started playing by ear, i always wanted to learn , owned several guitars over the years but just couldnt learn with a book, a few months ago another friend of mine who's been playing sence columbus got here started teaching me, but he moved away and i've been stuck trying on my own, its been sort of up and down, ill play around with it for a few days then not touch it for a few weeks, so i havent learned very much, now that i've found this site, my guitar hangs on the wall rite next to my computer and i practice all the time, im getting a little better

Kirk Lorange inspired me to take up fingerstyle playing,

the way he explains things really made sense and it made it easier for me to get playing,

he is one guitarist who in my mind,

has really mastered the fingerstyle guitar.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

Thanks Kirk!:thumbup1:

Kirk Lorange inspired me to take up fingerstyle playing,

the way he explains things really made sense and it made it easier for me to get playing,

he is one guitarist who in my mind,

has really mastered the fingerstyle guitar.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

Thanks Kirk!:thumbup1:

Thank you, Jean. I respect your opinion. ;)

For me, it was Hank Marvin and the sounds of The Shadows ... A couple of us here will remember them! :wheelchai

Stevie Ray Vaughan and a friend of mine who at the time took up playing keyboards. :D He has stopped playing keyboards and now spends his time & money on RC airplanes.:(

For me it was a combination of Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley, and Peter Frampton.

Especially when I saw the cover of Frampton Comes Alive with Peter holding his Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty.

I dreamt that one day I would own and play one like that.

I'm still dreaming! :lol:

I'd have to say my uncles. One of my uncles was a Elvis person back in the day before I was around. Him and his band would play Elvis songs and he would be dressed as Elvis and sing. My other uncle was playing at a X-Mas party and I just sort of figured that it was my time. Idol wise I would have to say Daron Malakian from System of a Down, Jimmy Page, Avenged Sevenfold. There is many more tho.

Brian

for me ive always liked guitars just never got to it

so now im playing around and trying hard to learn and its awsome but dam hard ahhhh

my idols would have to be eddie vanhalen, jimmy page and rick emmit

:clap:

Guest alvino

my inspiration i guess woul dbe my younger brother and my dad who played a pretty decent style. I was amazed by how you could pla songs as long as you know how to play chords thats why im still into playing th guitar.... even though i still need more time to play better,,,,, well there's always a start so im determined to finish,

peace

and also i loved those sick ass solo playing guitar players.. it really makes me determined to play like them

I've always admired people that could play an instrument. When I was about 7 years old, I had this hippie teacher in school that would sit us around the mat on the floor and play guitar while we sang. (I think she was the first person I ever fell in love with.) Listening to her play touched a chord in me...I'd close my eyes and hear every note...it was really magical.

As I got older it seemed that everyone that was slightly alternative, creative or somehow non-conformist were muso's...It was that 'rebel' image I was attracted to...

Today, it's the sound of the guitar that inspires me. The purity of the note, or the tweek in the chord...Have you ever noticed how someone that can really play the guitar, closes their eyes? That's where I want to be with my playing...I want to go where they go...

Country music in general inspired me . Im a huge Hank jr. fan and love the old traditional country sound.When i was younger my dad tried to get me to play .. He showed me hang down your head tom dooley (the easy version) I lost intrest quick because of sports , girls , you name it. He was proud of me about 2 yrs ago when I played that and lots of other stuff for him . happy times=)

~James

My first inspiration was classicla gas when i heard it once i knew that I had to learn

guitar. So i looked in my attic and found two guitars. one was blue and black (will have a

picture of it soon) and the other was a pure black guitar. I had forgotten about them

because my brother had put them up there almost a year ago. I have been trying to learn

for just about 2 weeks and i now know i have a long way to go

When I realized that my writing is the best when I listen to music and get inspired by it... So I guess my dream would be to put this two together. O.K. I just started, and its a little bit late (I'm 19) but... A girl can dream ;)!

Thanks,its just that I been talking with a guy and he's been playing since like ever ;) and he scared the hell out of me....

blue - I recall walking into a music shop around your age and speaking to the sales lady about taking up a musical instrument. She told me it was too late for me and like a fool, I believed her.

I finally took up guitar aged 47 ... and I'm loving every minute! So, you have a 28 year head start on me :D If its not too late for me (and I'm not the oldest person to start playing, by far) it sure isn't for you. Welcome to the forum, and a long life of fulfilling your dream!

O.K. I just started, and its a little bit late (I'm 19) but... A girl can dream ;)!

Now I feel really old :) I started playing when I was 34 years old.

i wish i had started when i was 19, never know what could have been, now the kids have all moved away and i have grandchildren that i have more time to be with, no longer work those long hrs or 7 days a week, my friends now are my computer, 2 guitars and 2 dogs (that dont leave me alone, wont let me leave the house without them, the good part is that they sit in passenger seat with there heads rite next to each other, it good for my fingerpicking cause i have to scratch both dogs ears at the same time) so enjoy learning while ur young, u have all the time in the world to become good at it

chuck