1. 1. What Decade Influenced You

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

blackdog71    0

I am mostly influenced by the 70,s with artists such as Led Zep,Thin Lizzy,Boston,Yes etc fueling my early enthusiasm with music which has ultimately turned into obsession. Mainly I would expect influences to come from the years you were a teenager, but I have noticed from a range of music forums that teenagers of today are increasingly looking further back in the musical archives.

Which decade sparked your interest ? And Why?

50's

60's

70's

80's

90's

00's

Dewy    0

70's why?! Because I'm a guitarist... :guitardude:

Guitar Driven Rock and back to basics with the acoustics... Boston, Zepplin, Aerosmith, Beatles (well... I play it all on guitar), ZZ Top, Rush, yikes, the list seems endless.

It was the Era of True Guitar Legends

Stratrat    0

70's would be my decade of influence for all the reasons Dewy listed.....but I love listening to a lot of 80's music even though it was more synth-driven than guitar oriented.

70's was definitely the era of the guitar virtuosos.

eddiez152    129

60's For me,

Kindston Trio, Peter Paul & Mary, Lightfoot.

These people had a large infulence in folk music and probably started

more people playing guitar than anyone. Finger pickin.

GT    0

Well, for me is Heavy metal era. Old shread virtuoso and incredible composition decade. Yea, even the Glam was cool. For me it was more about the Rock icon Idol movement. Man, the ROCK (Heavy, Trash, pop, Hard, etc) was the music that was on the radio. It had everything! Technique, composition, vocals, image, girls who loved you because you were a guitarist!!! That was the reign of ROCK. The top!!! From there....on 90´s hip hop killed everything :crying2: Even the Grunge movement comited cannibalism.....

so 80´s for me! :yes:

jacobp    0

I also have to say 90's/early 2000's.

For one, this was when i first started to really get into music. And i still listen to the grunge and alterna-rock that came out of this time. Though the 70's was the era of the guitar gods, i really like the sounds that came out of the 90's, even if the playing wasn't as good as some earlier era's.

jrowe    0

60s definitely, because most of my favorite guitarists emerged then. Bert Jansch, Davey Graham, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Eric Clapton (on the Beano LP, and in Cream), Hendrix

GotDeeBlues    3

Tough to nail it down. The fifties had me exposed to big band and swing from my folk's collection, later early rock from older brother and sister. Sixties hooked me up with rock, blues, folk and country as I got out on my own more.

The past 4+ decades as I like most everthing, Weened on country, gravitated to oldies then to rock and like the progressive stuff now. guess you could call me a "progressive oldie from the country who likes rock and roll".

starsailor    20

A bit difficult to choose, torn between 60s and 70s, because of guitarists like Santana, Hendrix, Peter Green etc and The Beatles of course always been a fan of George Harrison. I think the 70s was the era of the Guitar band but these have made a strong comeback in the last Decade, think the 80s was sort of lost to the synthesiser although we did get the Edge out of them. I think the end of the 70s was important because of punk I think the punk movement shook the foundations of the Concept album brigade and made people realise that anyone can have a go all they needed to do was pick up a guitar.

volfan    0

I guess I'd have to go with the 80's as well, but the late 70s are right there, too. AC/DC was huge when I was a kid....parents thinking they were the anti-christ....then there was Ozzy biting heads off bats. :P

Really though, I think it was Shout at the Devil by Motley Crue that was my favourite. I played that so often I had to buy a new cassette.

To this day, I don't believe there exists better "make your ears bleed" rock and roll than AC/DC.

cshude    0

Well, I'm a child of the late 70's - 80's, but I got a good grounding in the great music of the 60's (lots of Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, Stax, etc.) as a youngster grooving to my dad's 45 collection. It's hard to pin down a particular decade as the most influential to me- it's pretty much a 3-way tie with the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Sometime in the 90's it seems like the magic went out of making music (at least for the stuff getting played on the radio).

DemoEtc    0

I chose the 70s, mostly because that's when I started playing. But then I backtracked into late 60s stuff.

But then again I love the 80s because that's when I was active in our little local music scene - wedding bands, bar bands and stuff.

starsailor    20
A bit difficult to choose, torn between 60s and 70s, because of guitarists like Santana, Hendrix, Peter Green etc and The Beatles of course always been a fan of George Harrison. I think the 70s was the era of the Guitar band but these have made a strong comeback in the last Decade, think the 80s was sort of lost to the synthesiser although we did get the Edge out of them. I think the end of the 70s was important because of punk I think the punk movement shook the foundations of the Concept album brigade and made people realise that anyone can have a go all they needed to do was pick up a guitar.

Can't believe that 80'S comment what about Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Bon Jovi etc. shame on you:crying2:

Stratrat    0
Can't believe that 80'S comment what about Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Bon Jovi etc. shame on you:crying2:

Van Halen was popular through the 80's, but they actually started in the 70's. VH I was released in '78, VH II in '79.

Eddie is my all-time favorite guitarist, but I really don't consider him an "influence" on my playing because most of his stuff is so far above my head (although I suppose the same could be said about ANY professional guitarist! :D )

P-90    1
65-75 was my most influential "decade"

I'd have to go along with that -- rock & roll began going beyond its jump blues origins in the early '60s, but the real change for guitarists came later, when people like Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, etc. showed what you could do once the skill level caught up with the evolution of the music. At the same time, it went from being "rock & roll" (a name whose origins go back to 1947) to being "rock."

The genre may have been getting worn a little thin by the mid-'70s, but meanwhile Funk came into its own, and Punk, Metal, and what would later be called "alternative" began to grow out of the desire for new directions.

Definitely a great era for music! I think there was more musical evolution happening in a single year of the late '60s than we get in a whole decade now.