solidwalnut

New Lesson: An Intro to Modes

Hey Steve,

Thanks for this helpful info about modes. I saved the chart so I can pop it up anytime I need to reference it. Thanks also for all of the other helpful items you've published. Like others, I'm going to make the pick control exercise part of my warmup. I've been holding the thang between index and thumb and tending to have the other three fingers extended. This causes them to become stiff and uncomfortable by the end of practice, but I haven't been able to make myself keep them curled - your tips should help.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for this helpful info about modes. I saved the chart so I can pop it up anytime I need to reference it. Thanks also for all of the other helpful items you've published. Like others, I'm going to make the pick control exercise part of my warmup. I've been holding the thang between index and thumb and tending to have the other three fingers extended. This causes them to become stiff and uncomfortable by the end of practice, but I haven't been able to make myself keep them curled - your tips should help.

Hi jimbeaux--

You're totally welcome, and thanks for the kind words. When I was teaching myself, I had a hard time getting my strum hand fingers out of the way. But I was determined that the fingers should be in a natural position. So I didn't fight it. To this day, I use the back of the fingernails of my middle and ring fingers on the downstroke of the strum, as well as the flatpick. Sometimes it's only the back of the nails. It just depends on what dynamic I'm after. It comes in handy on electric for creating harmonic chirps, and it comes in handy on acoustic when I'm looking for something light but crisp sounding.

When life gives ya lemons....!

Steve