mattz196

First Foray into Recording

Thought I would try my hand at recording something, having never done so before, so I purchased an inexpensive dynamic microphone from ebay (cheap is probably more accurate) . I have installed Audacity and the problem I appear to be having is a very low input volume, I have maxed out the input volume control on both the sound card and within Audacity. In the example noodle attached if the mic was any closer to sound hole it would have fallen in and I was picking fairly hard. The volume prior to exporting as mp3 did not sound any different. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is a bit of a milestone for me and took a fair bit of courage to post myself playing ,I'm the sort of person that gets nervous just driving past a guitar store , get me inside and if there is a saleperson within cooee I wont touch an instrument for fear of them hearing me.

Cheers

Matt

n1.mp3

Sounds pretty good to me! Remember that you can use Audacity to increase the volume after you have recorded, although it increases the volume of everything, including any hiss/noise that you have. You can clean some of that up with eq, though. BTW, your playing is nothing to be ashamed of at all. I'm looking forward to what you'll be able to come up with once you start multi-tracking.

That is almost too quiet to hear.

Agreed I had the pc speakers so loud to hear it everytime I clicked the mouse the whole street heard it ;)

Sounds pretty good to me! Remember that you can use Audacity to increase the volume after you have recorded, although it increases the volume of everything, including any hiss/noise that you have. You can clean some of that up with eq, though. BTW, your playing is nothing to be ashamed of at all. I'm looking forward to what you'll be able to come up with once you start multi-tracking.

Thanks , Just found where to increase volume after recording but as you say big increase in backgound noise .

I did this at work but at home I do have an accoustic with pickup and an amp maybe I should try micing amp ?, I did try once to record direct from that guitar to sound card but gave up as I could not get it sound vaguely like an accoustic.

* no idea how you spell this "micing miking"

Sounds nice Matzz, guitar playing is good but I had to max my volume to hear it properly.

I use a dynamic mic and I have to use a preamp to get decent volume. Like cshude says, if you boost the volume with Audacity (or other software) you boost all the hiss and background noise, so getting a meatier signal in the first place is better.

I'd certainly like to hear more of your stuff.

Oh and I suffer from the nerve thing too!!!!

Oh and I suffer from the nerve thing too!!!!

Thanks Jomi

I have read on the forum the great advice to people on choosing a new guitar, that they should go and play lots of different guitars in store to decide whats best, when I decided to pick up the guitar again not so long ago after a very very long layoff I thought a new guitar would be a good kickstart , but no way could I follow the above advice , I bought online having never played that model of guitar, but I must say I love what I got :yes:

But then again maybe those funds may have been better spent on a shrink:dunno:

mattz,

Ya I know what your going thru. That was pretty good though.

I did have to turn it up a bit to hear.

Mattz - the volume is definitely too low, but you have NOTHING to be ashamed of when it comes to your guitar playing! :winkthumb: Can't wait to hear more from you once you get the volume issue sorted.