joker_b

home studio recording

joker_b    0

8) Hi all. I would like to record my own music at home. What combination of software or ?, could I use to set up a home recording studio?

I know that there is computer software as well as various types of recording equipment out there. What combination works well?

Thanks...Joker_b

Joshua    0

Hi Joker,

Yep, the program Kirk suggested works quite well, I use it myself!

Do you have any recording equipment yet? If not...I'll reccomend a few things...

What do you intend to record? Vocals? Guitar? Electric guitar? Drums? All of the above? I suggest a Shure SM57 microphone, it works well recording acoustic instruments, vocals, electric guitars/amplifiers, pretty much everything! If you can't find one at your local music shop, try www.musiciansfriend.com, or music123.com. They usually sell for around $100. It's a WIDELY used microphone, the president of the united states uses it on his podium!! They have access to any and all microphones! And they choose the SM57! Bands everywhere still use them...They started making that particular model in 1957!</end of salesmen rant>

With that, and an adapter or two...You're set to go! But you really need one more thing, a pre-amp of some sort, to adjust your input volume, and more importantly, increase it. Chances are, if you just plug a microphone into a computer, record, and listed to what you recorded...You will have to crank the volume in order to hear it. So a volume booster of some sort is essential!

You can use anything from a powered equalizer, to a tape player with in and output jacks.

With all of that, you have a semi-professional home studio! If you want an absolute professional "home studio", you had better be "semi-money bags"! :lol:

Alright, I've gotta git, g'dluck!

joker_b    0

8) I have a small 4 track recorder setup right now but I would like to have a little more clarity in the sound. I'm new at recording and have a lot to learn in this area. It's a lot of fun though, just trying different things. Thanks you guys...Talk to ya later...Joker

Chasba    0

I've downloaded the Audacity free software a while ago and I have to say it works well for what I wanted, which was to copy some of my vinyl treasures onto CD. You can also get other free software form the web to remove the pops and crackles from scratched vinyl albums. What really surprised me was how good the quality of the recording of albums in the 70's really was when you hear it converted to digital. If anyone's interested, I'll give details of how I set it up.

Spyder F16    0

Also, if you want clarity when recording things from different inputs and dont want to always access the back of the computer to hook stuff up, I suggest investing in a mixer board. Behringer makes several great ones. It doesnt have to be one of those fancy 24 channel ones, just find whatever fits your needs.

Also, make sure you get a 1/4" to MIDI(or 1/8'' RCA) cord so you can hook it up to the Sound Card.

DigiGuitar1    0

I am hestitating... buy or not ASIO 20..24 bit ADC sound card or use something like C-Media ($5) etc. for guitar recording? 90% of guitar software listed at http://guitarfx.info need in ASIO sound card...

?

The problem is that the difference in prices between ASIO and standard sound card can be used to buy Alesis analogue Noise-Gate-Compressor-Limiter! So, I am not sure that guitar->ASIO card will be better than guitar->Alesis->standard-sound-card

Spyder F16    0

I myself tend to use a Creative SoundBlaster Live!. Audigy 2 Platnum is probably the best, but most expensive.

I've worked with C-Media as an onboard, and it's not too good for recording. If you were doing online voice-comms, it would work well, but for music, not exactly the best.

jefffrz    0

one of my buddies bought an M-audio 44, then i bought an m-audio66. I hate both of them. Im not sure if i just havent put enough time into it or what, but i can't record and playback at the same time, and it has multiple inputs and outputs that you cant use at the sametime. Then my girlfriend bought an audigy platinum, its redicuously more convenient and seems to have all the same high quality specs of m-audios soundcards. ANYWAY, im thinking about selling my card and getting the audigy. Does anybody have any other suggestions for sound cards of that caliber and a high level of convenience???

Alfcarguy    0

There's a software I downloaded along time okay a few months ago called Mixcraft its looks about the same as the audio one but better. I don't know were I got you have to do a search and I do believe its a freeware but not sure been awhile since I downloaded it. And there some software out there were you can have a 16 and more recording mixer's to mix tracks, all the way from $20 on up to thousands. Also check with your local music store to see if they can get you this type of software. But with these new digital recorders thats all you probably really need, You could record endless tracks I believe. I haven't looked into them but I don't see why you couldn't have you a 64 track mixer out of one of those. Thats my 2 cents.

Clancy    36

Is this it http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/ Alfcarguy?

I had a brief look at the screenshots and it looks pretty good actually. Quite a bit better than the Audacity by the looks of things. I don't think it's freeware though, but there is a free trial download... but it's only about $40 anyway, which is pretty affordable for most.

Thanks for the recommendation Alf. I might download the trial and try it out.

Cheers

Clancy

Alfcarguy    0

Clancy doing the leg work for me ( I feel sick as a dog ). Thats it :)

It converts the recording to wave file formatt too. I use it to convert my audio stuff on to CD's / when I use 4 track or don't use 4 track.