Jomi

Setting up a room for recording

I'm just using my dining room for recording, is there a particular way to set up for recording?

I heard of some people hanging up thick blankets to reduce the room reverberation, why do that only to add reverberation back in with the software?

Carpets or hard floor?

Furniture left in or taken out?

Why use two mics when there's only one connection to the pc? - or do you use line-in AND mic connections?

Sorry if this has been answered elswhere, I've looked through Tekkers lessons (brilliant-thank you Tekker) and couldn't find it, of course I could have just missed it, there's an awful lot to read!

If that's happened could you point me to the relevant page please?

thank you,

John

Based on the recording I've heard you make so far, your dining room isn't too bad. Your writing is great, performance is superb, and your recordings are clean and well balanced in the level and eq.

Thanks Chuckswood2001,

There wasn't any info there on setting up a room BUT there are some fantastic videos describing how to use Adobe Auditions so thanks a million for the link!!:yeahhh:

Thanks Doug,

You weren't kidding!!! If I read all this I'll be a sound scientist!!!!

Some great ideas though and just the sort of information I wanted, even though I'm not planning on remodelling my dining room.

thanks again Doug.

I heard of some people hanging up thick blankets to reduce the room reverberation, why do that only to add reverberation back in with the software?

It really depends on the room acoustics. If the acoustics sound really bad and the room is very small, then it is a lot cheaper to throw blankets up and completely deaden the acoustics than to try to improve them.

Sorry if this has been answered elswhere, I've looked through Tekkers lessons (brilliant-thank you Tekker) and couldn't find it, of course I could have just missed it, there's an awful lot to read!

If that's happened could you point me to the relevant page please?

I don't really have any lessons in the way of room acoustics. I'm not in a position to be experimenting with it unfortunately as my stuff is smack in the middle of the family room. ;) But Ethan Winer's site is a fantastic resource.

Another really good one is John Sayers' site:

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

John Sayers also has a forum here:

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

-tkr

Thank you very much for the pointers Tekker, having read through quite a lot of it I don't suppose there's a huge amount that I can do, at least not without significant alterations to my dining room (not very practical) there would also be a hefty cost for an amateur.

The bass absorbers seemed quite bulky too, my dining room is small to start with so it'd be like singing in a phone box!

I've ordered a condensing mic (on your advice) a Marshal MXL 2006 + shock mount, so that should help with the guitar sounds, they've seemed a bit muffled and some of the treble sounds are very faint.

Thanks again for the help and advice,

John